Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Expel better than 3M PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if you dont mind my asking, was it over or under 6500?

Full exterior ppf with Xpel Ultimate Plus, Full window tint (including windshield and one piece for the rear) with Xpel Prime XR Plus and chrome delete and the total price was less than 6500. This was back in April, so I would contact Premier Auto Tint for the most current prices. The car was in their shop for a week, which was standard for all 4 shops I received quotes from.

Reactions: Premiertint
I prefer/always went with 3M Ventureshield for clear and 3m Color Stable for tint. Never tried Xpel, so I can't really compare the two, but never had reason to switch - stick with something that always works (for me).
Ventureshield was crap film. I had it installed 7 years ago and was told it was 3M. I recently found out it wasn't 3M, but was Ventureshield as this was during a time of overlap in the product lines. Clarity was bad and it gouged really easy.

We'd love for you to consider SunTek for your Paint Protection Film needs. We are an actual manufacturer of the product and have been producing self-healing PPF since 2011.

We have multiple lines including a 5 year PPFC, and a 10 year hydrophobic PPF Ultra. We also have a matte finish product.

If you have any questions please reach out and we'd like to answer them.

We have a dealer locator on our website to find a SunTek installer near you.
I just got the Suntek Ultra Defense on the full car. It came out great and seems bulletproof! There are some tight turns at edges that didn't hold folds well and had to go back for a trim. I can see why because it is insanely thick. I guess it is a trade off of not having totally invisible edges for the best protection.

Ventureshield was crap film. I had it installed 7 years ago and was told it was 3M. I recently found out it wasn't 3M, but was Ventureshield as this was during a time of overlap in the product lines. Clarity was bad and it gouged really easy.

I just used that term as it's what I had put on 14 years ago on my MX5 - still looked brand new when I sold it last month. Perhaps 3M's current product is called something else - my bad! :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: LandToSea
I considered SunTek, but the closest authorized installer to me was 65 miles away and included sections of road construction. I thought this would have increased my chances of getting the unwanted stone chips on the front.

I understand the distance and road condition factors! For your removal question - removing warm is better it softens the adhesive, lift at a 45 degrees angle and stretch towards your body.

Ventureshield was purchased by 3M and the product was changed. I had my last vehicle covered in Ventureshield in 2008 and it never hard a problem with lifting, gouging or pitting. Additionally, on a white car, it showed no obvious signs of improper fading (yellowing, UV allowance, etc).

After I purchased my M3 I used the same installer and he swears by Xpel. He said he's tried various SunTek lines and have had nothing but problems. These issues were enough to dissuade him away from the product line.

Ventureshield was purchased by 3M and the product was changed. I had my last vehicle covered in Ventureshield in 2008 and it never hard a problem with lifting, gouging or pitting. Additionally, on a white car, it showed no obvious signs of improper fading (yellowing, UV allowance, etc).

After I purchased my M3 I used the same installer and he swears by Xpel. He said he's tried various SunTek lines and have had nothing but problems. These issues were enough to dissuade him away from the product line.

Yep, I have VentureShield on several cars and never a problem with lifting, discoloration or anything.

I used Suntek Ultra PPF and have been happy with it. I purchased precut kits from ServoPPF and have been happy with their templates.

It’s a challenging DIY project for some parts of the car like the bumpers, but full car coverage came out to about 2k. Much less than a detailed shop.

I used Suntek Ultra PPF and have been happy with it. I purchased precut kits from ServoPPF and have been happy with their templates.

It’s a challenging DIY project for some parts of the car like the bumpers, but full car coverage came out to about 2k. Much less than a detailed shop.
what is full coverage? the entire car or just the front end? most shops around me were quoting a bit less than $2k and that's with a professional installer that will often back their work/product.

as i was a repeat customer, i was afforded a discount, which i basically applied to the rockers.

I got the full frontal package and trunk step at bumper....Used XPEL ultimate plus and CQuarts ceramic coating.....considered using the 3M Safeguard Pro Series 4. The warranty was better with XPEL....Cost at Elite Finish in San Diego was $3850...Took 3.5 days.....

I did use 3m Crystalline 70% on windshield, 50% driver and pax windows and moon roof and 40% I think on back glass.....no distortion and very clear...Have this on my cars and truck...very satisfied with this product....

note: there is a big difference in warranty and guarantee....look at XPEL’s website for details......

wow i'm amazed at the difference in installer prices around the country. your package is at least $1k more than I would have paid, had I also got a ceramic coating.
yea....in SoCal......the window tint was not part of the package....it appears I may have sent wrong signal....did windows at different shop......Xpel and CQuarts coating was what I paid 3800 for....sorry if I was confusing

yea....in SoCal......the window tint was not part of the package....it appears I may have sent wrong signal....did windows at different shop......Xpel and CQuarts coating was what I paid 3800 for....sorry if I was confusing
no i totally got that... around here you can get full frontal, 5-7 year ceramic (with refreshes), AND ceramic tint that includes the front windshield for what you paid... at least that's what i've been quoted.

like others keep repeating - at some point it's just a car. splurging for the film was an easy decision for me... the tint and ceramics i can wait on.

no i totally got that... around here you can get full frontal, 5-7 year ceramic (with refreshes), AND ceramic tint that includes the front windshield for what you paid... at least that's what i've been quoted.

like others keep repeating - at some point it's just a car. splurging for the film was an easy decision for me... the tint and ceramics i can wait on.
the tint was almost a necessity here because of the heat......the tint dramatically reduces the interior temperature in Irvine