Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Clarkson beginning to see the light?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe Clarkson didn't change his mind. Maybe he just got outvoted by his pals who, while they want to be able to control every aspect of the drive, also recognize the strengths of the Model S.

Frankly, I don't think any of the three mean half of the stuff they say. Sure they have their opinions and differences, but the show is mostly a show. On screen (and in paper) they are caricatyres of themselves. They play roles. That's part of the fun.

I still maintain that Tesla should have taken the Roadster roasting as the joke that it was and instead sought to seek more publicity through the show. Tesla came out looking humorless and they missed several chances of publicity on Top Gear later on.

For example, Clarkson was not unfair at all when testing the electric SLS later on, even though the mandatory point about range were made. I would have expected Model S, in the end, getting far more positive publicity than by being absent.

The idea that Clarkson hates BEVs is a complete myth IMO.

Reactions: bxr140
While I agree that Clarkson does play Clarkson in TopGear, he has his own column in the sun newspaper.

I disagree somewhat. Clarkson plays Clarkson also on paper. Not that some of those aren't his opinions, but a lot of it is tuned to the max for show and shock value. Clarkson knows how to spin narrative and he does.

In the end, the failures of Clarkson have got more to do with his temper (as evidenced by events). Yet these failures almost never show on screen or on paper. He hasn't been in hot water over his temper in public - only about his over-the-top statements, which he doesn't even mean half the time...

He plays his character well in public. The private Clarkson is, sources say, quite different.

Reactions: bxr140