Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is autopilot worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I wait patiently for my car, I initially declined autopilot a time of order, mainly due to cost.

My question is, is autopilot worth the price? Just wondering if I should add it to my order.

Thanks in advance.

Model 3/SR+/black/white/RWD

I would say 50:50 highway to local road driving.
Gonna cost over $1K if I decide to add later so not sure if I should just do it now.

Do you drive on freeways a lot? If so, AP is very useful and worth it in my opinion. Especially if you have to deal with any sort of traffic. If you are only using local roads on a daily basis, then not so much.

Gonna cost over $1K if I decide to add later so not sure if I should just do it now.

We didn't add AP or FSD at purchase, and our 3 came with a 60 day trial of both. If you purchase during the trial, AP is $3,500 and FSD is $5,500. More info here Autopilot Trial

It's nice to try before you buy, but of course if you don't purchase the car with the software, you cannot roll the cost of the software into your loan.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA

I use AP daily on the freeway portions of my commute. Sometimes just traffic aware cruise, sometimes full autosteer engaged. For the $3k Basic AP is now (I paid $5k back when it was EAP), I would say it is worth it.

But, Tesla occasionally now has “sales” as was evidenced last month when folks could get Basic AP for $2k. You could always wait it out and see if you can catch a lower price.

We didn't add AP or FSD at purchase, and our 3 came with a 60 day trial of both. If you purchase during the trial, AP is $3,500 and FSD is $5,500. More info here Autopilot Trial

It's nice to try before you buy, but of course if you don't purchase the car with the software, you cannot roll the cost of the software into your loan.
Thank you for this info.
I just thought it was 30 days but now will have to get trialling it since you all have made a compelling argument esp. since my wife uses the 3 on the hwy 50% of her time.

Cost isn't too bad post delivery as I had thought it was the full $4K not the $3500 you mentioned.

Thank you for this info.
I just thought it was 30 days but now will have to get trialling it since you all have made a compelling argument esp. since my wife uses the 3 on the hwy 50% of her time.

Cost isn't too bad post delivery as I had thought it was the full $4K not the $3500 you mentioned.

As far as I understand, the $3,500 price is only available during the 60 day trial. If you purchase after the trial expires, it will go back up to $4,000.

Also the trial FSD price is a real steal. Only $500 more than ordering it at the time of purchase. That goes up to $7,000 if not ordered within the trial period.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
The more interesting question is, is a Tesla withOUT Autopilot worth it?

I'm waiting ever so patiently (not really) for mine, but couldn't imagine having placed the order without Autopilot. I had to add FSD as well, since I know my brain and it would make me absolutely loony to know there's amazing features embedded, just a software license key away.

Were this the "old" package where Enhanced Autopilot still existed, I probably would've skipped FSD. But putting summon and Navigate on Autopilot and Autopark (least interesting of the trio IMO) into the FSD package was a shrewd move on Tesla's part. Now I can't resist.

One thing to note ... if you're financing the vehicle... by adding Autopilot up front, you can roll that cost into the financing. If you add it on later, it's cash-on-the-barrel.

I did the math - my CU offers 72 mos @ 3% financing right now. Total cost up front for AP $3,000. Interest on that across the 72 months totals $281.76. Even in a trial period, that's $3,500 to add it on later. Total financed would be $3,281.76. You'd still come out ahead financing AP. Doing AP + FSD up front is $8,000. Financing that over the 72 months is $751.60. That's also a lot less than the cost of adding AP + FSD during a trial period, let alone outside of one!

So I thought it was better to add AP + FSD up front -- better than the cost of regret later, better for resale, better all around .... just my $0.02 (for what it's worth - not that you asked ;-)

Reactions: BourneM3
Er, nope. I drive a car to DRIVE.
(Let the flames begin)

I enjoy a good drive too, but man, when I'm tired and stuck sitting in traffic, the idea of just letting the car manage the bumper to bumper stuff, well, that's just so stinkin' cool.

It really depends I guess on your personal location, driving patterns, etc.

Mine involves sitting in traffic to-from the airport pretty much weekly. Nothing more exhausting to me than crawling along at 8mph. Letting the car do that? Best of all worlds. Let me open it up and drive when the roads are clear, but let the car handle the monkey work. (No offense to monkeys intended or implied.)

edited to add: Absolutely no flames intended whatsoever. This is a drivers' car and the fact that you're treating it as such is awesome!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dante
As far as I understand, the $3,500 price is only available during the 60 day trial. If you purchase after the trial expires, it will go back up to $4,000.

Also the trial FSD price is a real steal. Only $500 more than ordering it at the time of purchase. That goes up to $7,000 if not ordered within the trial period.

Is there somewhere online that confirms the current trial upgrade price? It's not that I don't believe the prices above but looking for something more official to document