Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone X not notifying me of texts while paired with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All:

Forgive the rather idiotic issue I'm bringing up but it's kind of driving me nuts.

I have an iPhone X, paired to the car. Also have an Apple Watch 4 that I just got for Christmas. Out of the car, I'm getting text alerts like normal, both on the watch and on the phone. However once paired with the car, I'm not getting any text alerts. Neither on the watch nor on the phone. This is driving me nuts, especially since I am coming from a car with Apple Car Play. I'm in the car a lot for work and get a lot of work texts so this is kind of critical.

In my Porsche's infotainment, there is a check box to select text alerts, and while paired with BT, it will either allow or suppress text alerts. Does something like this exist on the Model 3? I've searched and RTFM but don't see anything.

Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

I'm experiencing similar with my iPhone XS over the past few weeks.

I used to receive alerts, and then something happened a few weeks ago and they stopped. I checked my settings and nothing has changed. I'm wondering if one of the recent updates created a conflict?

I'm experiencing similar with my iPhone XS over the past few weeks.

I used to receive alerts, and then something happened a few weeks ago and they stopped. I checked my settings and nothing has changed. I'm wondering if one of the recent updates created a conflict?

Thanks, glad to know I'm not alone.

I'm not sure regarding the updates, as I just got my car a little over a week ago and it came with 48.12.1.

I refrain from helping people text while they are driving. Personally, I have Do Not Disturb While Driving set to activate via Bluetooth with the following automatic text reply:

I appreciate your concern for driver safety. Please know that I am not actually physically holding the phone and texting. With Apple Car play, it was all done through voice commands. In my other car, I use "Hey Siri" to activate the phone and send the texts. In the Model 3 I have been doing the same. Unfortunately the phone cannot hear me say "Hey Siri" with the phone dock door closed, which is what I would really like, so I leave it open. It's worked well, not quite as good as having it through Apple Car Play, but almost as good.

Moreover, it's completely hands free. So absolutely no different than speaking on the phone via bluetooth.

Reactions: mswlogo
... However once paired with the car, I'm not getting any text alerts. Neither on the watch nor on the phone. This is driving me nuts, especially since I am coming from a car with Apple Car Play. I'm in the car a lot for work and get a lot of work texts so this is kind of critical.

Perhaps Settings -> Control Center -> Do Not Disturb -> DO NOT DISTURB WHILE DRIVING -> Activate is set to When Connected to Car Bluetooth? If so, change to Manually.

Oh, how much I wish for CarPlay on Tesla! It makes it so much safer and convenient to communicate while driving.

All:

Forgive the rather idiotic issue I'm bringing up but it's kind of driving me nuts.

I have an iPhone X, paired to the car. Also have an Apple Watch 4 that I just got for Christmas. Out of the car, I'm getting text alerts like normal, both on the watch and on the phone. However once paired with the car, I'm not getting any text alerts. Neither on the watch nor on the phone. This is driving me nuts, especially since I am coming from a car with Apple Car Play. I'm in the car a lot for work and get a lot of work texts so this is kind of critical.

In my Porsche's infotainment, there is a check box to select text alerts, and while paired with BT, it will either allow or suppress text alerts. Does something like this exist on the Model 3? I've searched and RTFM but don't see anything.

Your help is appreciated. Thank you.
Tesla doesn't support the text on infotainment capability that other cars support. Though I am unsure why you aren't still getting notifications on your watch/phone.

Perhaps Settings -> Control Center -> Do Not Disturb -> DO NOT DISTURB WHILE DRIVING -> Activate is set to When Connected to Car Bluetooth? If so, change to Manually.

Oh, how much I wish for CarPlay on Tesla! It makes it so much safer and convenient to communicate while driving.

Just checked and it was set to manual. I disabled and re-enabled it.

Tesla doesn't support the text on infotainment capability that other cars support. Though I am unsure why you aren't still getting notifications on your watch/phone.

Yes, that I'm aware of. But it's not alerting on my phone or watch which is really odd.

Oh that could be it.

I have it set to manual. I just turned it on and off so maybe that will help?

I'd be thrilled if Tesla would just implement "Siri Eyes".

What Is Siri Eyes Free? Webopedia Definition

Before my Jeep had "Car Play" is got "Siri eyes".

Basically all audio (e.g. notifications etc.) from the phone will be heard on the car. And when you hit the "Voice Command" button on the Steering Wheel it would, Mute any Audio Playing and listen on the Mic in the Car and initiate a "Hey Siri" without having to say "Hey Siri".

This works over bluetooth or wired.

It was sort of "Car Play" without any Video portion.

I can understand Tesla not wanting to get into Car Play / Android Auto because of some of the unique functionality built in the existing Tesla OS. But I think adding "Siri Eyes" would be not so invasive and offer a huge step in usability/integration.

Maybe some day Tesla can offer adding "Skills" like Alexa. Then we could add a Siri Skill.

Just checked and it was set to manual. I disabled and re-enabled it.

Yes, that I'm aware of. But it's not alerting on my phone or watch which is really odd.

I have it set to manual. I just turned it on and off so maybe that will help?

RE: Phone and watch... the watch will not show you text messages received while the phone screen itself is "on". I put my phone on the wireless pad, push the side button to make sure the screen is asleep, then I get text alerts (set to vibrate) on my watch. When I get a text alert, I say "Hey siri, read me my test messages" (making sure I setup Hey siri ahead of time, which I had to do specifically to respond to texts this way in my tesla).

@Needsdecaf My BMW did not have apple carplay, but did have integrated access to the phone through long pressing the voice command button on the steering wheel. Unfortunately tesla does not have that either. This "hey siri" work around works for me. As you say, not much different than having a phone conversation. Both hands on the wheel, eyes on the road, and text messages read to me via siri (over the cars speakers).

I was wondering why I was not getting notifications on my watch (again, set to vibrate, so I dont have to look at it to know I got a text), and came to the conclusion it was because the screen of the phone was on in the car.

In my BMW I used to put the phone in my center console, cabled up. In the tesla, I have the nomad wireless pad where the phones go, but I still dont touch the phone while driving (not even at red lights, etc).

See if that works for you?

RE: Phone and watch... the watch will not show you text messages received while the phone screen itself is "on". I put my phone on the wireless pad, push the side button to make sure the screen is asleep, then I get text alerts (set to vibrate) on my watch. When I get a text alert, I say "Hey siri, read me my test messages" (making sure I setup Hey siri ahead of time, which I had to do specifically to respond to texts this way in my tesla).

@Needsdecaf My BMW did not have apple carplay, but did have integrated access to the phone through long pressing the voice command button on the steering wheel. Unfortunately tesla does not have that either. This "hey siri" work around works for me. As you say, not much different than having a phone conversation. Both hands on the wheel, eyes on the road, and text messages read to me via siri (over the cars speakers).

I was wondering why I was not getting notifications on my watch (again, set to vibrate, so I dont have to look at it to know I got a text), and came to the conclusion it was because the screen of the phone was on in the car.

In my BMW I used to put the phone in my center console, cabled up. In the tesla, I have the nomad wireless pad where the phones go, but I still dont touch the phone while driving (not even at red lights, etc).

See if that works for you?

Hmm, that may be it. Last night I made sure the screen was off and I was getting notifications on my watch. Not the phone at all, just the watch. But better than nothing. Thanks!