Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent Front Parking Sensor Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took mine to service, they did not find a problem. They said they think it is a firmware problem, and are seeing "several" cars with this issue. I was on 42 when I first noticed it. Service upgraded me to 48. They worked for a while, but as I write this, they are non functional again. Frustrating.

Took mine to service, they did not find a problem. They said they think it is a firmware problem, and are seeing "several" cars with this issue. I was on 42 when I first noticed it. Service upgraded me to 48. They worked for a while, but as I write this, they are non functional again. Frustrating.

I also was told it's firmware but no fixes since .42.

My front 2 sensors mostly doesn't work. The side ones always work. Summon will crash into an object. Be careful. Autopark in parallel will back up but will stop at that point. Asks to resume but will not see car in front, so I just finish. I have only done this once as I usually never use autopark.

Attachments

• 20171213_194216.jpg
    20171213_194216.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 110
I posted this on the Tesla Motors forum, which has a thread on the same topic. This was my experience today.

"More strangeness here. Trip to local store, sensors not working when I left. Got to the store (5 min drive) and sensors worked in the parking lot. In store 10 min., 5 min drive home and not working in the garage again.

For some reason, I flipped through all my settings and noticed I had "summon" on. I turned it off, and the sensors started working. I never use summon, so I will leave it off and see if the problem re-occurs.

Just in case, do those of you folks that are having these intermittent failures also have summon turned on?"

• Informative
Reactions: daktari
do those of you folks that are having these intermittent failures also have summon turned on?

I do not have summon enabled and never have. Perhaps I should try!

Like some others have said, the problem has gotten worse. At first, it was rare that the sensors reported nothing. Now, it's rare that they do, and I only say "rare" because I believe that they worked one time in the last week or so.

It sounds like this frustration likely will not end for some time.

I am still trying to define a pattern to my sensor failures. I have been logging the outside temp (by the car's reading on the dash) vs the front sensors working/not working. For the past several days since I started doing this, my logs show that if the temperature is below 43F (6C), the sensors don't work. If above that, they do. Except once: I washed salt off the car at 50F(10C) using the cold water from the hose at my house. The sensors failed, presumably because of the cold water. The sensors came back in a few moments after I dried the car off. I am going to keep this log for a week or two to see if the pattern holds, or if it is just a fluke. I don't see how cold could affect software (perhaps it could), but could it be a bad group of sensor hardware on the affected cars?

I've been to the SC twice in the past month with the exact same issues. The front right and left sensors work consistently, but the front center sensors function intermittently (I'm being generous by saying intermittent).

The first time I brought my car in, Tesla started they were unable to reproduce the issue and I was sent home. On Monday of this week I took the car in again armed with multiple videos and timestamps of the issue. They claimed the sensors are seated incorrectly and sent me home with what I thought was a fixed car. That lasted all of 12 hours. By Tuesday I was back to the same symptoms as before - with only the front right and left sensors functioning. I'm pretty fed up with this as I would like to rely on the front sensors to pull into my garage. I'll probably just go back to using the tennis ball on a string trick and in the meantime take more videos and perhaps send my complaints into corporate.

I have this issue and car is going in to SC in late January (terrible capacity these days..)
A technician told me early December to document on video. His thoughts was a bug switching the sensors between long and short range mode. According to him the sensors had 2 modes which are speed dependent and the front ones maybe froze in long range mode. But I see no correlation between speed, use of AP and failure rate, they just won't activate even in a start of a drive.

Just another anecdote on this matter: The other day, the sensors worked during part of the drive (sensing the car in front of me at a stop light) but not when I arrived at home.

I'll also record it on video when I remember. Thanks for that.

2017 Model S 75D (2.0 HW), have same issue with front sensors. Been happening for the past 3 software updates, front edge sensors continue to work, but the fronts fail to sense objects. Only happens after driving in rain/misty conditions for some reason. Currently on 2017.50.3 f3425a1.