Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting Article on Aero - EQXX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The recent comparison on here between the looks of a Beluga whale and a Tesla whilst valid, are tied to the need to achieve aerodynamic efficiency.

I found the following article on how Mercedes-Benz achieved aerodynamic efficiency for the 747 mile (1202 km!) range EQXX very interesting, and it got me looking at the design elements of my Tesla in a different light.

The Aero Secrets of the 747-Mile Mercedes Vision EQXX

I'm ok with my Beluga as I think they are cute. I have no doubt that the shape of the car is all about aerodynamicness (is that such a word?) but it is surprising that on the Y it has 'hips' which is a no no. However the Y was always going to be a compromise to get the SUV aspects with a spacious interior, ride height and luggage capacity.

Agreed.
It's going to be interesting to see where things settle in terms of range and affordability. Personally think most are going to chose the cheaper vehicles (as we've seen with Tesla's splits)

The other big thing is going to be how manufacturers limit the charging curve (after all they are the ones providing the battery warranty).

Eg. While a cheap car, the BYD Atto3 reportedly has a max 80kW charge rate, and 60kW on the upcoming Atto2. That makes a bigger time difference on longer trips than the size of the battery

Last edited:
Reactions: Maximillan