Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance / Bodyshop? MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All
Trying to get a bit of advice here.

Just wondered if anyone has had similar to get a rough estimate on prices or just gonna take the insurance route. I'm guessing it will be a panel replacement as the bodyshop wont touch aluminium panels.

Trying to get a quote for a body panel replacements seems horrendous, tried 3x local reputable body shop and none was willing to quote.
Awaiting for one from Tesla but have yet to hear back .

Got into a minor collision and it seems likely it will be a 50/50 decision and debating whether to go down the insurance route / save up the cash for it :( as might not worth the jump in premium for the nxt 3 years.

PXL_20230617_180825940.jpg
PXL_20230617_180836801.jpg

Kind regards

I was side swiped on a roundabout, the other party admitted fault. Car had PPF, and there was no paint damage (and after a wash and blow dry hard to see much, but there were a couple of definite dents). Aluminium and they said "Replace the doors".

I wish I'd had it pulled. The time it took, the hassle, the inconvenience (and the comedy of errors that contributed to that) ... and the unnecessary cost, IMO, for the other party's insurance company.

maybe you can get some doors off another one that was hit on the other side? :)

Were your failed quotes from Tesla approved body shops? Others would be further back in the queue for parts. Also deornds whether the other party makes a claim..8n which case doubtless your insurer gets involved anyway.
Not tried those yet. Was checking whether it might be a PDR job but most has said not possible. So next will be checking with tesla approved and waiting on tesla dartford to reply.
the other party has no damage at all. only on my side.
And technically you still need to inform most insurers of an accident that you were involved in irrespective of whether you make a claim or not.
Yea i will be informing them as well on a inform basics if i decide to pay out myself. Or would you reckon I should just do the claim as a fault?

I have not had to claim any insurance for the life of me and am totally new to this all. But some has said regardless they will still increase the premium even if I did not claim?

I was side swiped on a roundabout, the other party admitted fault. Car had PPF, and there was no paint damage (and after a wash and blow dry hard to see much, but there were a couple of definite dents). Aluminium and they said "Replace the doors".

I wish I'd had it pulled. The time it took, the hassle, the inconvenience (and the comedy of errors that contributed to that) ... and the unnecessary cost, IMO, for the other party's insurance company.

maybe you can get some doors off another one that was hit on the other side? :)
had a look on ebay for it tbf! and all they had was the driver side and not the side i needed hah. :(

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I think (from what I read here, but no evidence) insurance companies rush to write off crash-damaged Teslas ... so might be worth looking out for a write-off with no damage on driver-side - although that would leave quite a lot of work eBay-ing all the other bits!
I was in an accident last year and the assessor told me the opposite, they try not to write them off as the battery disposal is expensive.

If you've got a quote from the local reputable body shop I'd stick to that.. you might be able to get insurance to cover that - in a sane world they'd be grateful you'd saved the money , but we don't live in a sane world..
waiting for an official estimate from Tesla Dartford now but spoken to them over the phone and gave me an estimated ballpark figure for the panel replacement of around 1.5 to 2.5k. So hoping to go back to insurance with that instead once the official estimate comes out.

totally with that... seems like all jz want the insurance route to milk the insurance companies?

I was in an accident last year and the assessor told me the opposite, they try not to write them off as the battery disposal is expensive

Sorry, I wasn't meaning "crushed", I was meaning that the insurance company chooses not to repair it, so owner has to get a new/replacement vehicle, and then the car goes to someone who will take time / effort to make it roadworthy again (or cannibalise for spares)

In the few that I know of the repair cost was perfectly affordable (although the time / delay might not have been). Might be that insurance companies didn't have experience enough to know that ... or their business model is "Close the case", which is fair enough.

But if I have that right it should mean that "write-offs" provide a stream of parts, and thus rather than just checking e.g. eBay it might also require some sources of insurance write-offs for affordable, and available!, parts.

waiting for an official estimate from Tesla Dartford now but spoken to them over the phone and gave me an estimated ballpark figure for the panel replacement of around 1.5 to 2.5k. So hoping to go back to insurance with that instead once the official estimate comes out.

totally with that... seems like all jz want the insurance route to milk the insurance companies?
I had a door a bit like yours.. not a tesla but it was a bit insane.. I'd go to insurance approved body shops and they'd just go 'that's a complete replacement of the door, £1k minimum'. On a car that had a £500 book value at the time..

Local body shop did it for £80 and it was so good you couldn't tell it had even been scratched.. kept that car for years afterwards.

The insurance companies bring it on themselves TBH.. but we all suffer with higher premiums.

Reactions: WannabeOwner