Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inconsistent air conditioning A/C performance with new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a complex and marvelous system, and I appreciate it more than ever after watching those videos, but the bottom line is that it doesn't feel good when I use my air conditioning, and this should not be. I am still holding out hope that there is something broken that can be fixed, and that this is not "normal operation".

How can I get them to take a closer look? I'm afraid that if I pickup my car as is I'll never get another appointment for this issue.

Again, the problem is not that it doesn't get cold, but that it has trouble staying in the comfort zone. It seems to fluctuate between periods of too cold and too hot.
Question: do you leave recirculate on or off?

It could be something as simple as the cabin temperature sensor being faulty or not being fully connected.
That’s what I was hoping for. In fact the person that I spoke to when I dropped off my car said something along the lines of “it’s usually a bad sensor with these new cars so we keep all the parts in stock.”

Question: do you leave recirculate on or off?
Interesting question. Why do you ask?

I only use the system in Auto mode because, well, that’s the point of climate control. And, as in most cars, Auto mode controls the recirculate feature as it sees fit. However, I have noticed that after activating Auto mode I can manually force recirculate on or off without the system dropping out of Auto (at least in the 3 I’m driving now). I don’t recall if recirculate was switching on/off when the problem was happening. I will check.

Interesting question. Why do you ask?

I only use the system in Auto mode because, well, that’s the point of climate control. And, as in most cars, Auto mode controls the recirculate feature as it sees fit. However, I have noticed that after activating Auto mode I can manually force recirculate on or off without the system dropping out of Auto (at least in the 3 I’m driving now). I don’t recall if recirculate was switching on/off when the problem was happening. I will check.
I find turning recirculate on makes the system work better. I also use auto and can cycle the recirculate on/off while on auto. I just turn it off when I get home. Find that leaving it on doesn’t allow the hvac system to dry out after parking. Tends to cause a stinky smell. That’s a whole other topic though.

Reactions: rjpjnk and jcanoe
I find turning recirculate on makes the system work better. I also use auto and can cycle the recirculate on/off while on auto. I just turn it off when I get home. Find that leaving it on doesn’t allow the hvac system to dry out after parking. Tends to cause a stinky smell. That’s a whole other topic though.
I noticed in the 3 I’m driving now when I press Auto the recirculate light becomes dim blue regardless of whether it was on or off prior to this. I assume this means Auto is turning recirculate on for the particular temperature conditions existing right now.

I noticed in the 3 I’m driving now when I press Auto the recirculate light becomes dim blue regardless of whether it was on or off prior to this. I assume this means Auto is turning recirculate on for the particular temperature conditions existing right now.
I suppose. You can override it at any time without turning the auto feature off.

OP here with an update. It’s been 3 weeks now since my service appointment where they could not reproduce the inconstant cooling issue and I have been trying to get used to it as is but the past few days have been especially bad. Some days I have to turn the temp setting down to 69 to get any cold air to blow, but most days it is fine at normal 72-74 setting. At times I actually feel heated air coming out the vents even though I am sweating in the car and it is 90 outside.

Then today I have the opposite problem. Too much cooling! 97 outside and car is too cold. I turned the temp setting up as high as 80 and still getting blasted with cold air. This is crazy. I am almost certain the lack of cooling and too much cooling are related. Must be a bad temp sensor somewhere. Where is it located? See this pic. AC still calling for cool, but cabin is quite cold already although temp reading shows 79. No way it’s that hot in here now! Wish I had a thermometer.
80DEE2CE-EBC0-45F1-9AD8-905661243574.png

Just come back from the service center didn't fix AC issue, as everyone can see from my Teslamate data log report. the inside cabin temperature just not able to bring down to the temperature I set even i change setting to low is same result, the inside cabin temperature stay in 80F. this is 3rd service visit still say this is normal can some one convince me this is normal?? BTW when temperature can't bring down than result is my efficiency is terrible because the AC air blower speed will stay on 10.

1629928802737.png

OP here with an update. It’s been 3 weeks now since my service appointment where they could not reproduce the inconstant cooling issue and I have been trying to get used to it as is but the past few days have been especially bad. Some days I have to turn the temp setting down to 69 to get any cold air to blow, but most days it is fine at normal 72-74 setting. At times I actually feel heated air coming out the vents even though I am sweating in the car and it is 90 outside.

Then today I have the opposite problem. Too much cooling! 97 outside and car is too cold. I turned the temp setting up as high as 80 and still getting blasted with cold air. This is crazy. I am almost certain the lack of cooling and too much cooling are related. Must be a bad temp sensor somewhere. Where is it located? See this pic. AC still calling for cool, but cabin is quite cold already although temp reading shows 79. No way it’s that hot in here now! Wish I had a thermometer.View attachment 701265
Have you had your windshield replaced or tinted?

Anyone know where the cabin temperatures sensors might be? I had previously heard they were under the console but I have some doubts. I see there are air holes on the back of rear view mirror. Could it be in there I wonder?

VIN 88xxx. 13k miles, Fort Worth HOT! I noticed something today, and it has happened before.

102f, after full sun startup, AC set at 72, passenger/driver vents open. For the first few hot interior miles, AUTO fan speed is high. (I've never checked the number.) After a few minutes, interior seems cool enough, but the fan seems to be locked on high.

As soon as I bump the temp to 73, the fan speed drops considerably. It's still pushing a lot of air, isn't silent, but NOT as ear-splitting as it was at startup.

If I DON'T bump the temp up, the AUTO fan speed stays high, and very loud.

VIN 88xxx. 13k miles, Fort Worth HOT! I noticed something today, and it has happened before.

102f, after full sun startup, AC set at 72, passenger/driver vents open. For the first few hot interior miles, AUTO fan speed is high. (I've never checked the number.) After a few minutes, interior seems cool enough, but the fan seems to be locked on high.

As soon as I bump the temp to 73, the fan speed drops considerably. It's still pushing a lot of air, isn't silent, but NOT as ear-splitting as it was at startup.

If I DON'T bump the temp up, the AUTO fan speed stays high, and very loud.
Mine does the same. I find when it is extremely hot out I have to keep the temp set to 73-74. When it is cooler or in the morning I have to set the temp to 70-71.

Reactions: rjpjnk
Normally in cars my range is 72-74. I noticed in my MYP it would act similar to what the OP is describing. I just figured due to no one being in the passenger seat, it's not getting enough cold air out for my tastes and I've had it set to 68 ever since, not really gave it a second thought after doing so.

Reactions: rjpjnk
This sounds like what I have been seeing. Certainly if I set it to 68 the AC cools well, but 68 is too cold. As someone mentioned above I find I need to change my setting based on the outside temperature. This to me sounds like a flaw in the design as the purpose of climate control is to maintain a constant set temperature regardless of heat load on the system. I know my Prius had a sunlight detector on the dashboard as part of the climate control. This allowed the system to work harder when it knew the sun was shining hard on the car vs night time. I wonder if Tesla considers this?

It is underneath the windshield from what Tesla SC told me. When they replaced my windshield some how they unplugged some of the wires. I had no heat unless I turned the temp up to high. Anything lower and the ac came on. I also received erratic interior temps via the app.
Where underneath the windshield? Did they mean in the dashboard?

Temp sensor may still be under the LCD screen, but according to the swivel mount manufacturers the Y and newer 3 require a different kit because "the temperature sensor has been moved" they say.

Last edited: