Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm thinking of getting a Model S: Would you recommend it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just grazed the thread, but the answer is very obviously NO!

Do not get a Model S unless you want to hate any other non-Tesla car.

Do not get a Model S unless you enjoying being able to NOT drive the car because it can drive itself.

Do not get a Model S because it's 66k at least and you can get a 10k KIA that will get you from point A to B, somewhat reliably.

Do not get a Model S unless you enjoy the camaraderie and talking to other folks at Superchargers, it will happen!

/s

Alright, you order it yet?

I own a Model X 90D. It's at the service centre right now so I'm driving a Model S P90DL loaner.

If you loved the Model X, get the MX! I highly recommend it. I feel quite cramped in the MS now that I've had my MX for a month now.

Howdy! I realize the answers will/may be biased, but wanted to try to get your honest thoughts/ suggestions.

I'm in the market for a car, and have looked at the Tesla Model S, and several others (including the Mercedes E300, BMW, Audi...). I also test drove the Tesla Model X a few days ago and loved it.

I am down to the Tesla Model S vs. the 2017 Mercedes E300. Two fairly different cars. One a bet on all things EV and another a bet on an older ICE luxury brand that's perhaps been woken up on the tech side by Tesla's brilliance in the last few years.

• What has your personal experience been like to OWN a Tesla Model S?
  • Have you experienced any issues (big/small)? Have you heard of challenges other Tesla owners may have had. This in particular concerns me, but others here may have different experiences in the unfortunate event of an accident: Model S Owner: Owning A Tesla Is Awesome, Until You Get In An Accident…
  • Is the Total Cost of Ownership for the Model S really comparable or less than other cars? I have seen spreadsheets etc online to this point, and I am intrigued!

Thanks for your feedback guys!

• Informative
Reactions: Lex and singleview
To paraphrase Captain Rameus in "Hunt for Red October": We all had our reasons for making the Tesla leap. I cannot get into the minds of anyone else, but mine started long ago with the poor treatment I received from the service people at MB. I have enough systems experience to have a thoughtful idea of how something works; they treated me like I was an idiot. Plus their build quality declined from the European versions we had owned. BMW had a wonderful powertrain: turbine like and fun to drive. They didn't seem quite as luxurious as the Lexus when I was shopping for a new car. That's when I got my first taste of instant torque with a performance hybrid. I was hooked. Then Tesla arrived on the scene. A curiosity at the time because I couldn't afford/ didn't need a Roadster. The early Model S seemed out of range as well. But recently, after a test drive of the MS, I was hooked and so was my wife. Two months and 8500 miles in and it is still a thrill every time I drive it. Plus, it is a real head turner. Nobody turns around to look at an MB or BMW; they're everywhere. While I'm not in CA or FL where the largest concentrations are, there are still fewer than 200,000 Teslas out of about 253 MILLION registered cars and trucks on the road. The car turns heads and people takes photos and videos. The ICE driving experience may be nice but it won't improve with age. The Tesla experience will continue to morph and refine itself . Where do you see yourself in the future?

• Love
Reactions: singleview