Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm thinking of buying a Model X but have some questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Looking to buy a Tesla Model X and I’m real close to pulling the trigger. I just have some questions hopefully you guys can clear up.

1. For those who own Tesla in winter seasons, how have they been holding up? Any issues with the falcon wing doors?

1. I’m debating on 75d vs 100d. I work from home so my daily commute is very minimal and travel no less then 100 miles on the weekend. But things might change when I get my Model X cause I’d be traveling more since paying no gas sounds good as hell to me, lol. I might make 1-2 big travels to visit other states and national parks if I get my X. For those with 75d, how has traveling been to you guys? Have you guys visited any cool places? Is there anything you regret or wish you changed? And those with 100d, how has your experience been? Paying an extra $14k is a lot for the upgrade from 75d to 100d, that’s almost half the cost of the model 3.

1. Is autopilot worth getting? To those who didn’t get it, what was your reasoning?

1. 22” or 20” rims? The 22” looks way better but I’ve heard that it reduces your range significantly and you feel bumps on the road more. To those who have 22” or have experience with both, is it true? Would you get the 20’s if you could start over again? As I wrote above, I don’t travel much but would like to when I get my Tesla, so maybe 22” won’t be a good idea even though I want it badly :/

1. When you guys had issues with the car, how was the service?

I’d like to see your guy's Model X!
I have 100D loving it!
1, I’m in Southern California so basically no difference between winter and summer
2, I go with larger battery if you can afford it, I make weekly trip to central California it’s 240mi one way. Larger capacity means I can drive my X at my normal speed 75-85mph with AC full blast and not have range anxiety
3, auto pilot is a must for me on weekly long trip especially during night driving
4, standard wheel size due to better range

I bought the 75D instead of the 100D. If money was no object, then get the 100D. I cannot imagine that anyone would regret buying a 100D, since if you paid that much for a car, you should have been able to afford it in the first place.

I couldn’t justify the 16.5k price difference for something I would use less than 1% of the time. Maybe in the future, I would, but I didn’t want to spend more than $100k as this was my first Tesla and I don’t know what I’m getting into.

If you have cash to blow, get the 100D. If you really don’t see yourself using it and want to save 15% of the car savings to put to another car purchase in the future, then get the 75D.

I went with 20” wheels for the same reason as everyone else said. The look isn’t as good, but ride quality and better range won out.

I didn’t buy EAP. I didn’t think it was worth it for me personally. I love having total control over the car and enjoy long drives. That being said, I don’t drive long distances, so the point is moot :D I also didn’t get it because it can be purchased after the fact via OTA update and you just pay $1k more so no big deal if you change your mind later.

We received our X about a month ago but have only had two full days of driving in it. The car spent 3 weeks in service for a connector problem. The service team was nice and responsive , yet we have learned that service will take forever for anything. So, we are mentally prepared for being Tesla-less anytime an issue comes up. It was very disappointing to wait months for the car, get it and then send it right back to service within 3 days. This is our primary family car with two young children, and we often have a third child in the car for car pools. This service lag has led to our decision to make our second family car (the lease is up soon ) to be an SUV with a third row, for those times when Tesla takes an extended vacation at service. So, it seems a touch sad that we have to think like that...

Ok, so we are past that... We got the 100D, in blue, white seats, carbon finish, 6 seater, and I have no idea about the tires. IT...IS....SO....AWESOME! I am (I'm the mom) having a blast driving it, and my kids love it too. I drive these kids so much, and now driving is so fun! We were torn between the 75 and 100, but I am definitely glad we went with the 100. We have been charging to 80%, and I honestly think the battery drains faster that I thought it would. I don't think anything is wrong, but I seem to blow through 10% pretty quickly.

We don't have autopilot and haven't seen a winter yet. The a/c has been blowing big time here in the northeast, and I have been charging my phone too, all battery drains.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Wow they look amazing.Yeah I think this is what I'll definitely do. Was yours matte black or gloss? Also this will be my first purchased car so hopefully this wont be a dumb question, but I can buy the wheels on TSportline and have my local shop install them right?

Mine are matte. I ordered online and brought them to my local tire shop to install. Very easy, @Tsportline ships FAST and has the best customer service. Can’t recommend them enough.

• Helpful
For those who own Tesla in winter seasons, how have they been holding up? Any issues with the falcon wing doors?

Holds up great. It's a tad heavy in icy conditions, but the grip to get going is phenomenal. And I would prefer more slip dialed in during heavy snow/ice situations, but no issues with the car or the doors.

I’m debating on 75d vs 100d. I work from home so my daily commute is very minimal and travel no less then 100 miles on the weekend. But things might change when I get my Model X cause I’d be traveling more since paying no gas sounds good as hell to me, lol. I might make 1-2 big travels to visit other states and national parks if I get my X. For those with 75d, how has traveling been to you guys? Have you guys visited any cool places? Is there anything you regret or wish you changed? And those with 100d, how has your experience been? Paying an extra $14k is a lot for the upgrade from 75d to 100d, that’s almost half the cost of the model

You might think you'll do more, but chances are you won't. Your travel habits will be about the same as they are now with a ICE and a 75D will be perfectly fine. Unless...you tow. I definitely do and the only times I wish I had a 100D is when I have to go 100+ miles between superchargers with a trailer in tow. Otherwise, we road trip with the 75D just fine.[/QUOTE]

Is autopilot worth getting? To those who didn’t get it, what was your reasoning?

Yes. I didn't get it on my first (Model S) and have had an AP1 MX and AP2 MX since then. Highly recommend it. Reason for not getting it on the S at the time: I don't think I trust it enough to use it. Reality: I use it all the time.

22” or 20” rims? The 22” looks way better but I’ve heard that it reduces your range significantly and you feel bumps on the road more. To those who have 22” or have experience with both, is it true? Would you get the 20’s if you could start over again? As I wrote above, I don’t travel much but would like to when I get my Tesla, so maybe 22” won’t be a good idea even though I want it badly :/

Get the 20's. Then buy the 22's from the forum. It's cheaper than getting it from the factor. It doesn't feel bumpier to the driver; feels bumpier for passengers. I switch back and forth and it has reduced my range by about 8% - again 75D here and still ok with the range.

When you guys had issues with the car, how was the service?
It used to be great, but it has been declining but in terms of quality of customer service as well as service to the car. It used to be perfect when I get it back; now I find myself going back for the same issue a week later.

• Informative
We have a x75D and its more than enough for us. Our longest drive was around 350miles in the winter. Superchargers were along the way from Chicago to Boyne Michigan. 6hours drive turned to around 8hours but we were not in a hurry so that was fun. Would have loved to have 100D but the car only leaves the garage on weekends. So the 14k upgrage is so not worth it. We have 22in wheels and I don't really notice the harsh ride since we had a 22in wheel in our previous range rover until we got a loaner with 20in wheels, I would say the ride from the 20in wheel is so much better, but I still would prefer the 22's just cause we like the look and we are used to the ride quality.

Go for 100D if you can, range is King. You will find yourself driving more. I didn't get autopilot, I never use cruise control on any car I've had. People seem to like it. If you have to choose financially I will personally pick bigger battery over auto pilot.

As far as rims, go aftermarket and put some nice winter tires on the stock rim. Not worth paying for the carbon rim. Too much for a color change. Tsportline has 20" rim that look like the Tesla 22" that's what we got.

One suggestion for winter is turn off power folding mirrors. Our Tesla got a nice coating of ice last winter and mirrors wouldn't fold back out. And preheat, especially when windows are icy.
My wife left X outside during ice storm last winter. I just went out opened doors then they wouldn't close. Had to turn up heat on super high to thaw it out to close door. Had a hard time backing into tight garage with no mirrors and holding door.

• Helpful
Reactions: spectrum and P85_DA
We have the 90D. I would definitely go for the 100. While it might cost more, it sounds like it is an option for you... and remember, it will be worth more when you might sell it, and if you have it for 10+ years, after battery can't fully charge, you will be glad you have it. I never want to take another car on a long road trip again... because of auto pilot, so definitely go for that. And then of course, it makes the bigger battery make those trips go by faster. With the 90D, when I start the trip fully rested, it is just enough battery power to get me almost far enough down the road where I need to stop for bathroom and a quick bite. 100 would have been better.
I have the 20inch, and drive through Tahoe on a regular basis. Car handles great, I appreciate the extra range. Also, when possible, use the seat heaters instead of the vented heat... it is more comfortable, and will save you energy. I also use Range mode 100% of the time. If your car is not inside a garage, and it is really cold when you get in, and your driving a short range and want the heat to blast, then range mode isn't for you.

• Informative
Reactions: gjunky and P85_DA
Go for 100D if you can, range is King. You will find yourself driving more. I didn't get autopilot, I never use cruise control on any car I've had. People seem to like it. If you have to choose financially I will personally pick bigger battery over auto pilot.

As far as rims, go aftermarket and put some nice winter tires on the stock rim. Not worth paying for the carbon rim. Too much for a color change. Tsportline has 20" rim that look like the Tesla 22" that's what we got.

One suggestion for winter is turn off power folding mirrors. Our Tesla got a nice coating of ice last winter and mirrors wouldn't fold back out. And preheat, especially when windows are icy.
My wife left X outside during ice storm last winter. I just went out opened doors then they wouldn't close. Had to turn up heat on super high to thaw it out to close door. Had a hard time backing into tight garage with no mirrors and holding door.

Thanks for the heads up!

Could you post what your wheels look like on your car? I'm still trying to get as many perspective as I can before I make my final decision!

1. For those who own Tesla in winter seasons, how have they been holding up? Any issues with the falcon wing doors?

No issues at all.. whether it's summer or winter.

1. I’m debating on 75d vs 100d. I work from home so my daily commute is very minimal and travel no less then 100 miles on the weekend. But things might change when I get my Model X cause I’d be traveling more since paying no gas sounds good as hell to me, lol. I might make 1-2 big travels to visit other states and national parks if I get my X. For those with 75d, how has traveling been to you guys? Have you guys visited any cool places? Is there anything you regret or wish you changed? And those with 100d, how has your experience been? Paying an extra $14k is a lot for the upgrade from 75d to 100d, that’s almost half the cost of the model 3.

Always get the biggest battery you can afford.

1. Is autopilot worth getting? To those who didn’t get it, what was your reasoning?

Of course, it is worth if you are planning to keep the car for 8-10 years.

1. 22” or 20” rims? The 22” looks way better but I’ve heard that it reduces your range significantly and you feel bumps on the road more. To those who have 22” or have experience with both, is it true? Would you get the 20’s if you could start over again? As I wrote above, I don’t travel much but would like to when I get my Tesla, so maybe 22” won’t be a good idea even though I want it badly :/

One word.. 22.

1. When you guys had issues with the car, how was the service?

I have owned Tesla since 2013. The quality of service unfortunately has declined. Initially, I had to take the car to Tesla few times. But once they were fixed, no more service visits.

• Love
Thanks for the heads up!

Could you post what your wheels look like on your car? I'm still trying to get as many perspective as I can before I make my final decision!

Sorry I don't have pics of my car with the rims on but it's basically same as on manufacturer website. I went with the mettalic grey.
Click on link Bellow there are pics. My X is silver. I was torn between the grey and matte black but went with grey.

use my referral if you like $100 off
T Sportline - Tesla Model S, X & 3 Aftermarket Accessories

I haven't ordered my X yet but most of my experience with the S is as follows.

A] 100D vs 75D. Obviously a 100D would be better, but i've done long roadtrips with a 75 and haven't had issues.

superchargers are adequately spaced for MOST major freeways. If you use ev trip planning tools like A Better Routeplanner it lets you plan trips using different teslas. One major trip i make yearly is from baton rouge to Toronto, about 1400 miles driving. According to the website, a trip in a 100D would only be 90 minutes shorter than a 75D. Would i pay an extra $16,500 to save about 3 hours of roadtripping once a year? not likely. If money is no object, get the 100D but if you get the 75D, dont feel at all your car is limited. You can still go anywhere you want, might be slightly less convenient but you might feel better knowing the money you saved My owner advisor basically told me unless you use the extra range of a 100D more than once a week, then a 75D is a better bargain.

Obviously a 100D is nice, but not necessary if you dont need the extra range often.

b] 22 inch rims look sexier, but the ride quality will be rougher and louder than 20 inch rims, and you will have range loss. 22 inch tires are also more prone to road damage/potholes than 20 inch tires.

c] a tesla without autopilot is silly IMO. I basically bought a tesla because of autopilot. When teslas first came out, i was like meh cool but my lexus has more features. then i saw youtube videos of autosteer and read about how people feel a lot more relaxed on roadtrips using autopilot and had to have it for myself. no regrets.