Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hit the drag strip again last night - new personal best!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided on the spur of the moment to head out to the strip to see what effects the warmer weather and lighter wheels might have compared to when I ran in March.

It was a typical "Test 'n Tune", and pretty busy overall considering that it was mid-week. Lots of "Murrican" muscle, both old and new, a few imports and even 1 ridiculously loud and quick snowmobile (ran low 9s !!!).

I made 9 runs and once again, nobody beat me to the finish line. Nobody was really close, in reality. Even the other white Tesla (what are the chances??) didn't make a dent, though to be fair it was a Model S 75D. Quietest race ever experienced at that track, in all likelihood. ;-)

Funny thing 1: The guy doing the tech checks asked me "What I was doing driving HIS car?!?" He proceeded to tell me that he plans to get one just like mine later this year. He wanted to hear all about the car and asked me to come back before I left to tell him what it had run.

Funny thing 2: The dude handing out time slips asked "How many hearts have you broken on the street in this thing??!?" after I made 6 runs within a few hundredths of each other. He said I should come out for bracket racing some evening, and that I'd clean up. That's likely true, but it's not really fair to compare this car to any ICE vehicle when it comes to consistency.

I again had multiple thumbs ups from spectators and other drivers, which was cool, too.

I even got to run against this car - the owner was cool and the car even cooler!
enhance

Bottom line: I went about a tenth quicker and 1.5 mph faster than last time out, even though I was unable to match or beat my previous best 60' time.

Car 918, right lane:
enhance

I've had great fun and great experiences both times I've taken this car to the strip.

Now if Elon would finally get off his b*tt and give us a "Ludicrous" mode it would be even better!!

Nice! After I get some light wheels I want to try a run at 100% SOC and see if I can do better than my 11.7.

Thanks!

My first run was at 92% SOC after topping up to 99% at the closest Supercharger location to the track. Unfortunately, I slightly muffed the launch (which is tough to do in a Tesla, but I managed to anyway :rolleyes: ) and ran slower that first run than on my next 2 runs. Oops.

Last edited:
Nice run. The acceleration is my favorite aspect of this car. I hadn't driven mine a few days and when I got back in it the other day I was like damn this car is quick. I literally have to put my head back against the headrest or I may sprain it. :)

I think I saw some Youtuber get better times at 80% SoC than 90% Soc. Maybe there is no impact at those two SoCs...only notice dropoff below 70%?

The car appears to me to be fastest at higher SOCs, though the highest I've been able to start is 93%. The performance drops off slowly but measurably as it approaches 70%. My nine runs were within 2 tenths of a second at the 1/4 mile, with trap speed dropping by 1.5 mph over that span.

My first run was at 92% SOC after topping up to 99% at the closest Supercharger location to the track.

Wow, 7% to get from Pleasant Prairie to Union Grove! That's only about 16 miles.

I only have a SR+, but it might be fun to try my car out. Is the place really crowded on Friday and Saturday? I'm planning to be in Wisconsin in September for a poker game. That might be a good Saturday diversion.

Wow, 7% to get from Pleasant Prairie to Union Grove! That's only about 16 miles.

Yep, and 16 miles is 5.4% of 306.9 miles, which is 99% of the car’s rated 310 range. It was actually at 93% when I arrived at the track but then dropped to 92% after I puttered around in the pits for a bit. In other words just about what would have been expected.

I only have a SR+, but it might be fun to try my car out. Is the place really crowded on Friday and Saturday? I'm planning to be in Wisconsin in September for a poker game. That might be a good Saturday diversion.

Nah, it's relatively low key most of the time.

Do it!

I’ve been a subscriber to Hot Rod magazine on and off for 30 years or so. In an editorial a while back they were talking about the future of the hobby. The writer actually indicated that the “fast” cars would likely be electric and gas cars (old or new) would be more of a nostalgia thing. I know folks around here think that, but that is a HUGE mindset shift from a Hot Rodding perspective.

Now, admittedly, I think hot rodding and drag racing will survive, but it will evolve. Indeed, we already see folks dropping electric drivetrains into a variety of cars (typically old cars). Guys like Bloodshed motors with their Zombie cars are appearing and I expect we will only see more of them (note: components from wrecked Teslas seem to be popular).

Great time slip, and is the other half of that slip the 68 Verdoro green Firebird? Do you know what engine he had in that car (I’m assuming either a Pontiac 400 or swapped 455...but these days It could be a regular Old Chevy 350, LS motor, etc.)

Reactions: dfwatt and Zcd1
I’ve been a subscriber to Hot Rod magazine on and off for 30 years or so. In an editorial a while back they were talking about the future of the hobby. The writer actually indicated that the “fast” cars would likely be electric and gas cars (old or new) would be more of a nostalgia thing. I know folks around here think that, but that is a HUGE mindset shift from a Hot Rodding perspective.

Now, admittedly, I think hot rodding and drag racing will survive, but it will evolve. Indeed, we already see folks dropping electric drivetrains into a variety of cars (typically old cars). Guys like Bloodshed motors with their Zombie cars are appearing and I expect we will only see more of them (note: components from wrecked Teslas seem to be popular).

Great time slip, and is the other half of that slip the 68 Verdoro green Firebird? Do you know what engine he had in that car (I’m assuming either a Pontiac 400 or swapped 455...but these days It could be a regular Old Chevy 350, LS motor, etc.)

Hey, thanks, and interesting perspective from the Hot Rod writer and yourself.

Indeed, the attention the car has received from the "traditional" drivers and spectators has been hugely positive. I don't mind admitting that I've been surprised by that, in a very good way. Seems that most everyone appreciates cool technology and performance when they see it!

Yes, that was the Firebird in the left lane. The owner just bought the car a few weeks back - he seemed a nice guy. He said the car had a 468 cubic inch Pontiac motor and that this was his second time taking it to the strip. Said he'd run 12.8 @ 106 mph first time out, but that he'd had the car in the "wrong" transmission mode (maybe he said it should have been in "Overdrive", but wasn't, or it could have been the other way around) but from what I saw, he didn't match that time this time out.

I'm a fan but far from an expert on older muscle cars, so I can't speak to the car's overall authenticity, but I thought it was really cool and it looked and sounded fantastic.

A side note: on my way home, I ended up at a traffic light next to a Buick Grand National that appeared to be in the middle of a restoration. It was mostly primer gray, but sounded good and the body was straight. To my surprise, when the light turned green the driver gunned it and it was game on. I pulled him by about a car length, which was WAY closer than I'd expected it to be, so the car was clearly packing more than the stock engine. I could also tell that from the sound of the turbo when it spooled - MEAN!

We had a second go from a roll a bit later on, with the same result.

BIG thumbs up from both of us when it was over, so again - old school/new school - but respect in both cases..

Last edited:
I have L+. What is the the proper way to use this at the drag strip 1/4 mile?

Is it simply set it to L+ and wait for car to prep battery and just mash pedal like I normally would? Or is their a launch technique I need to do?

If the car preps battery then what indication is there that it’s ready? Thanks.

I decided on the spur of the moment to head out to the strip to see what effects the warmer weather and lighter wheels might have compared to when I ran in March.

It was a typical "Test 'n Tune", and pretty busy overall considering that it was mid-week. Lots of "Murrican" muscle, both old and new, a few imports and even 1 ridiculously loud and quick snowmobile (ran low 9s !!!).

I made 9 runs and once again, nobody beat me to the finish line. Nobody was really close, in reality. Even the other white Tesla (what are the chances??) didn't make a dent, though to be fair it was a Model S 75D. Quietest race ever experienced at that track, in all likelihood. ;-)

Funny thing 1: The guy doing the tech checks asked me "What I was doing driving HIS car?!?" He proceeded to tell me that he plans to get one just like mine later this year. He wanted to hear all about the car and asked me to come back before I left to tell him what it had run.

Funny thing 2: The dude handing out time slips asked "How many hearts have you broken on the street in this thing??!?" after I made 6 runs within a few hundredths of each other. He said I should come out for bracket racing some evening, and that I'd clean up. That's likely true, but it's not really fair to compare this car to any ICE vehicle when it comes to consistency.

I again had multiple thumbs ups from spectators and other drivers, which was cool, too.

I even got to run against this car - the owner was cool and the car even cooler!
enhance

Bottom line: I went about a tenth quicker and 1.5 mph faster than last time out, even though I was unable to match or beat my previous best 60' time.

Car 918, right lane:
enhance

I've had great fun and great experiences both times I've taken this car to the strip.

Now if Elon would finally get off his b*tt and give us a "Ludicrous" mode it would be even better!!
Was that with insane + mode?

I have L+. What is the the proper way to use this at the drag strip 1/4 mile? Is it simply set it to L+ and wait for car to prep battery and just mash pedal like I normally would? Or is their a launch technique I need to do? If the car preps battery then what indication is there that it’s ready?

Was that with insane + mode?

Thanks.

No need for any mode adjustments,nor battery prep on the Model 3. You're probably thinking of the Model S and X, both of which have required setting "Insane" and/or "Ludicrous" modes for maximum acceleration.

Just pull up to the timing lights, stage and as soon as the light switches from yellow to green, mash the accelerator as hard and as quickly as you can, then hang on and steer straight.

No need for any mode adjustments,nor battery prep on the Model 3. You're probably thinking of the Model S and X, both of which have required setting "Insane" and/or "Ludicrous" modes for maximum acceleration.

Just pull up to the timing lights, stage and as soon as the light switches from yellow to green, mash the accelerator as hard and as quickly as you can, then hang on and steer straight.
I have no idea why I though this was X’ forum. So sorry.

On a more relevant note, I had my 3 at Atco dragway last weekend. So much fun.

• Funny
Reactions: Zcd1
Ha! Post seemed odd, but I tried to help!

I’ve seen lotsa good ETs and trap speeds from Atco in general. What has been your experience?
Only went once, last wknd. got 11.631 at 116 Mph. problem is going on a Saturday you are waiting 2 hours between each run. so 4 runs took soooooo long. waiting for all the funny/rail cars to go, then Pros, etc.