Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am frankly shocked by how stunningly ugly the Cybertruck is

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The look is due to the function.
Cybertruck was designed to not need a body stamping plant or paint booth. Both are hugely expensive, take up a lot of manufacturing floor space, use a lot of material and energy. Simply take a roll of stainless steel, cut out panels and fold along straight lines is a brake. Designed to not easily scratch and capable of going off road, in narrow lanes without finish damage. Able to take significant impacts without damage and be inexpensive, simple and quick to replace panels. Painting of bodies is hugely expensive and environmentally a disaster. Takes a ton of energy to filter out all the paint contaminates from the water walls. People do not need to run paint guns, wearing environmental bunny suits or employ expensive and hard to maintain paint robots.
The look is different. The beauty is in the functionality of the design.

And all of this is just false. As it turns out, it's more expensive to make . Owners are spending another $5k-$10k to wrap it in order to hide fingerprints or discolored Stainless Steel. Wreck after Wreck has shown this thing falling apart and being totaled. A Subaru Outback is off road capable, nothing special.

It's essentially a You Tube Car.

And all of this is just false. As it turns out, it's more expensive to make . Owners are spending another $5k-$10k to wrap it in order to hide fingerprints or discolored Stainless Steel.
People spend the same for PPF on painted Teslas. Having had experience doing DIY PPF, the Cybertruck looks far easier to wrap because it doesn't have curves.
Wreck after Wreck has shown this thing falling apart and being totaled.
Link to any ones confirmed totalled? The ones I see with damage the stainless steel panels held up really well, just the plastic bits break.
I googled and found this thread where OP speculates totaled, but not confirmed, and the cybertruck held up much better than the other car.
A Subaru Outback is off road capable, nothing special.

It's essentially a You Tube Car.
That's only with a disingenuous glance. The actual offroad guys would compare the specs. For example, through the Cybertruck is criticized for its 28 degree departure angle, it's still better than the 23.6 of the best wilderness trim Outback.

Last edited:
People spend the same for PPF on Tinted Teslas. Having had experience doing DIY PPF, the Cybertruck looks far easier to wrap because it doesn't have curves.

Link to any ones confirmed totalled? The ones I see the stainless steel panels held up really well, just the plastic bits break.
I googled and found this thread where OP speculates totaled, but not confirmed, and the cybertruck held up much better than the other car.

That's only with a disingenuous glance. The actual offroad guys would compare the specs. For example, through the Cybertruck is criticized for its 28 degree departure angle, it's still better than the 23.6 of the best wilderness trim Outback.

No one who buys a regular car claims that the paint will save on cost or that it is "the best"...All we heard from those wanting the CT was how it would save on cost and the SS would not need anything.....yet here we are......

Link? Look at the pictures, there are plenty of them. Insurance companies aren't going to pay premium prices to fix this. I thought it would "Win" according to Musk.....

And yet the stock outback embarrassed the CT....

No one who buys a regular car claims that the paint will save on cost or that it is "the best"...All we heard from those wanting the CT was how it would save on cost and the SS would not need anything.....yet here we are......
But for those people they don't have to do a wrap, it's entirely optional (just like how although many painted Tesla owners opt for PPF, many don't). So I don't see how some people opting for wraps invalidates those that choose to keep the finish stock.
Link? Look at the pictures, there are plenty of them. Insurance companies aren't going to pay premium prices to fix this. I thought it would "Win" according to Musk.....
If there are plenty, shouldn't it be easy to link some examples of some that are confirmed totaled? And having seen many "is it totalled?" threads here on the forums for other Teslas, you can't reliably tell from pictures whether a car is totalled or not. Some cars that look to have relatively minor outside damage is totalled, while others that look severely damaged end up being fixed.
And yet the stock outback embarrassed the CT....
In what exact challenge and circumstance? Was it from a physical characteristic of the vehicle, a fixable issue with the software (Cybertruck just got a major update where early reviews indicate are a huge improvement) or a difference in skill of the drivers?

Reactions: Yelobird
But for those people they don't have to do a wrap, it's entirely optional (just like how although many painted Tesla owners opt for PPF, many don't). So I don't see how some people opting for wraps invalidates those that choose to keep the finish stock.

If there are plenty, shouldn't it be easy to link some examples of some that are confirmed totaled? And having seen many "is it totalled?" threads here on the forums for other Teslas, you can't reliably tell from pictures whether a car is totalled or not. Some cars that look to have relatively minor outside damage is totalled, while others that look severely damaged end up being fixed.

In what exact challenge and circumstance? Was it from a physical characteristic of the vehicle, a fixable issue with the software (Cybertruck just got a major update where early reviews indicate are a huge improvement) or a difference in skill of the drivers?

They don’t have to but they will due to the embarrassment of paying $100k + for atrocious stainless steel. It’s the only way to hide the crappy quality.

Again, neither of those owners have updated in the status of their indistrucktable CT, they have all disappeared which probably means totaled.

You are right about driver capabilities having a huge impact on off roading. I suspect most CT drivers have never driven anything bigger than a Model X, so it would be a challenge for the likes