Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrogen vs. Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will burn, but it won't add much combustible material to the fire. It won't explode.

Umm... I'd have to disagree... at least in the case of Li-ion. Lead-acid and NiMH shouldn't explode. Li-ion will explode if the cells get beyond a critical temperature. (Tesla's design with the cells soaked in coolant should help.) The protocol on aircraft is to soak the heck out of the Li-ion device with a water based fire extinguisher. (So the fire dept. can probably use the same approach.)

(To go to the potential next gen batteries, Li-air cells probably can't be put out with water as pure lithium explodes on contact with water -- may be a potential stumbling block to adoption)

Fire depts. are being trained to deal with accidents and fires with high voltage batteries in cars right now (to prevent electrocutions).

In general, an electric car can be made not to explode without a double or triple fault condition. (to stay fully on topic) I don't think the same can be said for hydrogen...

Iceland's President Pushes for EVs...And a 100 Percent Clean Energy Economy | BNET Auto Blog | BNET
Iceland has become known for trying to create the world’s first hydrogen energy economy, but Grímsson pointed out that the fuel-cell revolution is experiencing a slowdown (symbolized by the Department of Energy’s attempt, ultimately unsuccessful, to kill $150 million in hydrogen funding earlier this year). There are 10 hydrogen cars in Iceland and a Shell filling station, but EVs, Grímsson said, seem to represent a faster way forward.

I'll elaborate when I do the full write-up, but at Frankfurt I saw two interesting things:

1) Conversations about hydrogen seem to (in the main) be grey haired old men talking to grey haired old men. There is another class of conversation which is grey haired old men lecturing the youngsters about why wasserstoff is so much better than batteries, which the youngsters are demonstrating in all the new BEVs.

2) The only manufacturers showing hydrogen that I saw were Mercedes (a strange concept thing with bicycle wheels), Toyota and Mazda (the RX-8). BMW may have had one but I didn't have time to look at every 7 Series on their gigantic stand.

However, GM Opel (can we still say that?) were using their hydrogen SUV thing as a press shuttle. I think this is how they get the column inches - demonstrate the Ampera to the public but sneak around ferrying journalists in the "production ready" H2 stuff.

I voted for "Ahead of the pack with a fuel cell stack"

Because it was the worst choice

Does that make me a bad person?

Well, out of curiosity, I emailed to find out which slogan won, and that was it! Congratulations. You are a bad person. ;-)

Actually, that slogan may be horribly corny, but you have to admit that it's catchy. I preferred "Change. It's in the air." because it's both lame and has nothing specifically to do with hydrogen except the image of leaky tanks.

I would add:

Scare materials!? The platinum in Hydrogen cars is one reaseon they are 1M apiece.

He seems to have forgotten the the reason we had California blackouts was a false supply scheme by Enron.
Also, those 250,000 charge stations would probably buy you 5 hydrogen fueling stations. Not a real good use of money.

GM Voltage Hosting Webchat with Brian Wynne, President, Electric Drive Transportation

GM Voltage Hosting Webchat with Brian Wynne, President, Electric Drive Transportation Association

I missed this chat, which nevertheless is an interesting read. For example the optimism and continuation of "we are all friends" theme as it relates to hydrogen fuel cells:
2:29 [Comment From Santosh ]
What is your opinion on Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles?
2:29 [Comment From Zack Lee Wright ]
Hydrogen powered electric drive cars have been shown to be reliable over more than one million miles of real world driving. Cost seems to be the only obstacle to its widespread adoption. Are you working on ways to reduce this cost so H2 use can flourish ?
2:31 Brian Wynne: Fuel cell vehicles are electric drive vehicles, so progress in the plug-in category helps build a future for fuel cells. And you are correct, that hydrogen and fuel cell vehicles are proving themselves, and are continuing to meet aggressive cost, reliability and performance goals.

Interestingly, they joined hydrogen lobby back in June in petitioning Congress to restore hydrogen fuel cell funding.

the optimism and continuation of "we are all friends" theme as it relates to hydrogen fuel cells...
The GHG presentations of last week's CARB symposium had a similar feel to them. The take home message was (paraphrasing) "there is no silver bullet, we need a variety of fuel solutions to reach carbon emissions goals". There is certainly some validity to that argument. But I hear it more often these days coming from hydrogen advocates trying to stay relevant in the face of plug-in EVs. How much is truth and how much is spin?
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Session 3: 2050 Greenhouse Gas Scenarios [/FONT]

The GHG presentations of last week's CARB symposium had a similar feel to them. The take home message was (paraphrasing) "there is no silver bullet, we need a variety of fuel solutions to reach carbon emissions goals". There is certainly some validity to that argument.
Agreed, there are technologies in early stages of development (lithium air batteries, DMFCs) that look attractive and therefore should be getting some R&D funding.

Speaking of GHG presentations, I have the following problems with Dunwoody's chart on page 14 of her presentation:
  1. The elephant in the room (BEV) is completely ignored.
  2. Prius tank-to-wheels CO2 emissions are 176 g/mile. Accounting for 83% well-to-tank efficiency for gasoline production/distribution, the well-to-wheel rating for Prius is 212 g/m. That's today; the chart is projecting 250 g/m in 2020. No progress in parallel gas-electric hybrid technology?
  3. 40 miles of all electric range (plug-in EV) account for reduction of CO2 emissions of only 4% compared to parallel hybrid?

These numbers just don't check out ...

The elephant in the room (BEV) is completely ignored.

I noticed that during the presentation but wasn't surprised. Dunwoody is from a fuel cell advocacy group and is going to try to put HFCVs in the best light.

More concerning was Ogden's GHG presentation which also seemed to ignore the pure BEV and instead talked about PHEV-10 and PHEV-40, which stand for PHEVs with 10 and 40 miles all electric range (AER), respectively. Dr. Ogden is from a university, so you would hope her analysis would be neutral and unbiased.

If you compare slides 20 and 21 of her presentation, You'll see the PHEV "CO2 emissions per year" lines move based on the assumption used about the cleanliness of the grid. However, the HFCV line does not move. I asked (via proxy) why that line didn't also move, since I expected some hydrogen would be produced through electrolysis. Turns out the analysis assumes that 100% of the hydrogen will be produced from natural gas (since it's more efficient), all the way through 2050! So much for hydrogen being produced from renewables.