Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 even after April 12th build date

Do you have HW3 build date after April 12?

• Yes

Votes: 44 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 49.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so after your comments reminding me about APH3, I checked back in with my delivery agent and challenged the information.

He reiterated that my vehicle is absolutely HW3. He explained that HW2.5 is denoted as PARKER_PASCAL_2_5 in the Tesla system for this entry. A little research confirms that the 2.5 board used nVidia Parker and Pascal chips, so I don't think he pulled this out of the air. Tesla AutoPilot v2.5 PCB is showing NVIDIA Pascal and Two Parker Chips

I'll still verify, but am feeling more confident that he knows what he is talking about.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Just took delivery today. Beautiful car! Build quality is fantastic. However, it appears I have AP2.5.

Build date according to DS: May 20/19. However, he also told me before delivery it was AP3. I'm not going to return the car or anything, but still curious.

[Current firmware]: 2019.16.3.2
[Last six of your VIN#]: 403xxx
[Codec of your TeslaCam videos (H.264 or H.265)]: H.264
[Parts # of the STICKER underneath your glovebox]: See pic
[Location (US, EUR, ASIA)]: US/(CAN)
IMG_2263.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: torontohm3wait
However, it appears I have AP2.5.
Build date according to DS: May 20/19. However, he also told me before delivery it was AP3.
Now that worries me, I have a VIN of 414xxx, build of 1 June, and was told by my DS it "has the new chip" when I asked about HW3. I guess I'll just have to wait and see when I get it. I have AP but not FSD so like you, I wouldn't return over it, but it would be nice to get the latest.

Doesn't look like I'm going to find out. They called to tell me that mine had paint defects and did not pass inspection, so I will not be taking delivery today after all.

They did offer to bring it to a body shop to fix by next weekend, but who wants a brand new $70k car with paint work?

Sadly, based on responses here it sounds like they have migrated back to HW2.5 sometime in May. A new VIN will undoubtedly have a late May or June build date.

Depending on if this is caused by some problem with HW3 or a yield/shortage/inventory use-up issue, who knows if we should be excited or disappointed to get the new CPU?

Anybody know whether the S and X are still shipping with HW3?
Or is it only the SR(+) that’s getting 2.5? @Paul8810 which trim did you get on yours (with photos above)?

No idea but if its not any issue with HW3 and they just want to use up HW2.5 stock then it does kinda make sense you would see it on the lowest trim levels of the least expensive cars, as the low margin cars are likely to have lower uptake of the rather pricey FSD option.

• Informative
Reactions: Missile Toad
How do you know H.265 (HVEC) is HW3? Source? My TeslaCam videos are H.265.

It's an educated guess based on some observations in this forum. You'll find lots of this sort of collective knowledge here. I feel like we're those girls in Game of Thrones that repeat "It is known..."

But anyway H.265 encoding didn't appear until HW3 was launched, and older cars still have H.264, so we've just assumed H.265 denotes HW3.

Reactions: OCR1 and DoubleE
Let’s reason this through:

If Tesla has any HW 2.5 stock they should be using them all.

Heck, they might even be ordering more of them if the price proves cost efficient than HW3 at this time.

They are going to use them in one of two ways:

1.) Putting them in any car they can if HW3 is out of stock.

If Tesla is really on their game, they will:

2.) Use data analytics to determine the trims UNLIKELY to ever purchase FSD and throw 2.5 on those cars. Black/Black/SR+/- being the perfect archetype of a car to put 2.5 on.

• Love
Reactions: samcvan and P85_DA
But Elon said that all cars as of 4/12 will have HW3 at the investor’s conference so going back to using HW2.5 would make it appear as if Elon lied to us. If they have truly gone back to using HW2.5 without providing any communication to customers to let them know this really does not make Tesla look good. At some point when the CEO tells you something it has to mean something.

But Elon said that all cars as of 4/12 will have HW3 at the investor’s conference so going back to using HW2.5 would make it appear as if Elon lied to us. If they have truly gone back to using HW2.5 without providing any communication to customers to let them know this really does not make Tesla look good. At some point when the CEO tells you something it has to mean something.

You must be new here. This is nothing out of the ordinary.

There’s lots of kind of lies

-regular lies
-white lies / justified lies
-damned lies
-statistics
-lie to get out of trouble (sometimes - but full intention to make future amends)
-benevolent sociopathic lies (you actually believe you can deliver on something not possible but have good intentions)

I’m guilty of number 2 and 5 from time to time.

Current AP, not EAP is pretty dumb compared to FSD.

If you never buy AP or all you stay with is AP, you wouldn’t know the difference. This would be lie number 2.

We don’t know the cost delta between HW 2.5 vs HW 3.

Elon can say yeah let’s roll with HW3 on all cars but the guy who says Tesla is running negative EPS might say something different behind closed doors.

If a buyer takes delivery with HW 2.5 they will be annoyed at the extra service trip but it all gets washed when HW 3 is plugged in.

Reactions: OCR1
Doesn't look like I'm going to find out. They called to tell me that mine had paint defects and did not pass inspection, so I will not be taking delivery today after all.

They did offer to bring it to a body shop to fix by next weekend, but who wants a brand new $70k car with paint work?
lol, if you only knew how many cars are repaired before they hit the dealership lots. Spot paint repairs are exceedingly common in the auto industry, Tesla just does a bad job catching them before sending them out.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
IIRC Elon said they started building cars with HW3 at that point, not that all cars would have it. I picked up my mid May build last week, and the service advisor said he had not seen a single HW3 M3 this month. The majority of the vehicles are still 2.5. I ordered FSD.
They also indicated there would not be any upgrades to FSD purchasers this year.
Yes I felt bad about not getting it. But Tesla is still way ahead of the competition. So I think M3 purchasers are still making out pretty well.