Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD ("Heads Up Display") Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I predict a day when consumers actually start wanting analogue gauges in cars again, even electric cars. There is something more organic and human about physical dials and wheels.

Eh, I initially missed my analog speedometer when I bought my Volt. It was weird not seeing the needle to judge my acceleration to speed. Now, I find I prefer the digital display, and rarely look at my "analog" speed gauge in my Model S (I have a classic, so I still have a gauge display). I find my eyes are off the road less time because the number is nice and big and easy to read so I process it instantly.

I think if the screen is placed well in the Model 3, it might be even easier to read. It almost looks like it might be just above your right hand if you drive at 10 and 2, which would potentially require less ducking to see around the steering wheel (I currently have to duck to see the top portion of the binnacle through the wheel)

Reactions: aronth5
Correction: that is what everyone that purchased FSD will see (once the software is ready). I think it is a bad assumption that everyone who buys a M3 will pay for this add on.
That's very true! But my guess is that their internal research knows approx what percentage will buy it and it must be high for them to pack in thousands of dollars of hardware (including entire Nvidia system) to cars that will never activate or pay for it. Elon seems very intent on making the AP system the differentiating factor from all other cars, in addition to it's EV goodness! They are going to push that software update hard.

Gotta agree with zenmaster. There was originally conjecture (or was it hope?) that the center display would be integrated into the dash. The way it looks now clearly gives that 'afterthought' look. This is to say nothing about the greater likelihood of damage with it protruding as it does. It doesn't seem likely it will ever be integrated since that would take some major rework of the dash, unless the display is mounted quite a bit lower than it currently is.

I'm in the habit of taking my car to an excellent car wash and to be honest, I'd be a bit concerned about damage as the guys go about cleaning the interior.

This all bothers me a lot more than having an additional display.

Since we're talking about the quality of the interior (not exactly the same thing as the display and/or the HUD), I'm a bit confused about one thing. For months and months the 3 was discussed as being a replacement/aimed at the BMW 3 series. Based on a lot of what I've heard/read in the last 24 hours, it looks like we now think maybe it's not. That it's a more basic 'good' EV. Or maybe the loaded 3 is the 'equivalent' to a 328.

Thoughts?

There was originally conjecture (or was it hope?) that the center display would be integrated into the dash. The way it looks now clearly gives that 'afterthought' look.
It is troubling because the decision seems so much like a design oversight rather than an actual parts/assembly cost issue. The minimalist dash and interior design is decent, but broken up in combination with that protrusion is aesthetically goofy and downright obnoxious. It's sort of comical in a way. I'm imagining the designers thinking "welcome to the world of tomorrow, behold the LCD desktop computer panel now mounted IN A CAR!" with 2005-anachronistic imaginations.

Since we're talking about the quality of the interior (not exactly the same thing as the display and/or the HUD), I'm a bit confused about one thing. For months and months the 3 was discussed as being a replacement/aimed at the BMW 3 series. Based on a lot of what I've heard/read in the last 24 hours, it looks like we now think maybe it's not. That it's a more basic 'good' EV. Or maybe the loaded 3 is the 'equivalent' to a 328.

Thoughts?

Really all we've heard is about 5 partial sentences from Elon, the rest we're filling in with assumptions, theories and speculations. When part 2 comes I'll be eyeing it as carefully as everyone else here. If it doesn't look like it's going to be in the same class as the BMW 3 or Audi A4 series then I owe it to myself to test drive both of them before I commit my 35-50k to a T3.

tach-what tach-EV doesn't have belts. No combustion engine.

That's why I put it in quotation marks. I'm referring to the instantaneous Energy consumption indicator which essentially is the EV version of a tach

Attachments

• Tesla-Model-S-Dash-Energy.jpg
    Tesla-Model-S-Dash-Energy.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 78
I think that Tesla has been stretched quite thin with the Model 3 and AP2 work. I'm with you, though. I'd really love to see new features in the MS. Frankly, I'd even be happy with just some bug fixes and minor improvements to software alone. But, I don't think that's where Tesla's focus is. And I suspect the M3 will demand a lot of engineering resources for at least all of 2017.

That's the sense I'm starting to get. I wonder if it's "all hands on deck" to get the M3 done, and everything else waits.

Maybe a tool to help the driver pay better attention to the car status while looking out of the windshield is contrary to the goal of having the driver not have to pay attention to car status nor look out of the windshield? ;)

:) Fair point. Although I'm not so convinced that we'll see any driver-less cars for a LONG while yet. Making key design decisions based on questionable assumptions is not an ideal strategy.

Reactions: BerTX
People (those that have been driving for a year or more) still need to look at their speedometer to know how fast they are going? Really? Don't any of you just instinctually know by feel how fast you're going? I do. My Model 3 can have the speed displayed on the seat under my butt and I'll be fine. *shrug*
I like to fine tune my speed, especially on cruise control, for the speed zone I am in. I use the speed number frequently, rather than just wing it. It also means that I don't have to worry about speeding tickets and can just chill. It is very, very easy to speed in a Tesla without meaning to, because it is quiet and has a lot of zip.

I also rely on the Model S power meter to see how much regen I have available, since it is limited when the battery is cold and I need regen to descend steep (14% grade) hairpin turns every time I leave home. Not having the power meter in front of me would be a PITA. And what about the warning lights? Headlight high beams, turn signals, others? How is that going to work?

Unless the Tesla folks have a rabbit to pull out of their hat, the econobox Model 3 dash display seems pretty off-putting to me. Makes me appreciate my CPO S even more.

Last edited:
Of course....I love the idea of "no HUD". Its just not worth it. I want unobstructed view.

I can't remember the last time I used my instrument panel for speed or engine RPM's or Engine Temp or anything. All I need is a gas gauge. I lean my phone against the glass of my instrument panel every single time I get into the car. My car has Bluetooth and that way I can see who's calling me without having to look down and find my phone.

Reactions: FlyF4
What other things are we going to have to do without as part of the simplification?

Interior - We haven't seen it but so far Tesla hasn't won any awards for interior design. The flagship model S didn't have any storage pockets in the doors and all of 2 cupholders...."Who cares, I just drive myself I only need 1 cupholder" or "You shouldn't keep crap in your car anyway so pocket holders are unnecessary" are are arguments that miss the point completely, other manufacturers have put these creature comforts in cars of all price levels.

Meh. I don't think the point is missed at all. The fact is a lot of those little dodas are just not important to some people, myself included. If cupholders, drycleaning hooks and door pockets are a required criteria for your car, then a Tesla may not be for you. No biggie. Buy something else that meets your criteria.

Sure they're not NESSISARY but neither are rear windows that roll down, AC, or lumbar supported chairs, heck neither is power steering. My first car was an '84 honda civic that was missing ALL those things. It was just fine at the time. However I've moved on since then and if I can find those features in 30+ cars on the market all competing for my dollars I should also be able to find it on a Tesla that is marketed as the BEST car I can get for 35k.

No, you shouldn't necessarily be able to find it (them) on a Tesla. Your definition of 'best' isn't going to be the same as everyone else's.

The fact at this point is that Tesla has more demand for their cars than they can fill and will for quite some time. At the point that someone else wants to offer a similar performing and attractive EV for the same money, is the point when Tesla may consider putting in all the extra little dodas to their cars. Until then, don't hold your breath.

Unless the Tesla folks have a rabbit to pull out of their hat, the econobox Model 3 dash display seems pretty off-putting to me.

I've heard this argument on other Tesla topics. Like when the UI changed and the uproar that caused before anyone had actually seen it and USED it. I reserve my judgement and opinion for when I've actually experienced something - for obvious reasons.