Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC, 24ft cable, low profile bracket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. Excited to be getting our HPWC installed Monday. Quick Q for anyone with the 24ft charging cable that used the low profile bracket that is recommended for bottom entry wiring. Does the low profile bracket leave you enough room to wrap all the extra charging cable around the unit without interfering with the charging handle that is stowed in the receptacle at the side? Or would it be best to use the top entry bracket to allow more room between the box and the wall, giving more room for all those extra cable loops? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: wesley888
Yes low profile one works fine on mine ..just looks sloppy though ...you should however get some gecko toes from amazon it makes cable management look real nice ..there are some pics posted here if u do a search

Hi everyone. Excited to be getting our HPWC installed Monday. Quick Q for anyone with the 24ft charging cable that used the low profile bracket that is recommended for bottom entry wiring. Does the low profile bracket leave you enough room to wrap all the extra charging cable around the unit without interfering with the charging handle that is stowed in the receptacle at the side? Or would it be best to use the top entry bracket to allow more room between the box and the wall, giving more room for all those extra cable loops? Thanks in advance.
Like this?

Attachments

• 2EF670F1-7FB9-46EF-BF53-387E277FF5E6.jpeg
    2EF670F1-7FB9-46EF-BF53-387E277FF5E6.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 276
I installed my HPWC myself. I did conduit entry from the back side through the wall (I used a 6" piece of threaded Rigid conduit from home Depot that was pre-threaded). I did NOT use the extender bracket that comes with it for OPTIONAL use. That bracket is intended for TOP entry I believe.

My cable I think looks neat and tidy if you spend the thirty seconds to coil it properly (though I am always in a hurry, so sometimes it is a bit more ugly).

Hope this helps!

IMG_3178.jpg

• Love
Reactions: bradl and P85_DA
I installed my HPWC myself. I did conduit entry from the back side through the wall (I used a 6" piece of threaded Rigid conduit from home Depot that was pre-threaded). I did NOT use the extender bracket that comes with it for OPTIONAL use. That bracket is intended for TOP entry I believe.

My cable I think looks neat and tidy if you spend the thirty seconds to coil it properly (though I am always in a hurry, so sometimes it is a bit more ugly).

Hope this helps!

View attachment 317037
That's looks really neat, thanks.

Mainly aesthetics ...the box was right next to the HPWC ...the electrician could have routed behind like pic of @eprosenx above......plus electrician used flex conduit ..if they are going to route outside ..solid conduit looks better :oops:
While I agree that the aesthetics are better with no visible conduit I think the issue with the flush mount panel is the studs directly on either side of the panel. I don’t have the best understanding of the NEC but I don’t think you can drill out the side of the panel and stud into the adjacent cavity because you need to protect/secure the wires. I had considered asking him to route up out of the panel, into the attic, and then down into the adjacent space for a totally stealth install but I couldn’t justify the extra cost. This way when I move I can just pull the connector, remove the conduit, and patch a few small holes.

Reactions: P85_DA
Thank you everyone for the great feedback. Will try and organize the loops as neatly as eprosenx, but use Gecko Toes as a backup.
We only needed the 8ft cable to charge the Model 3 (scheduled delivery Jul 25) but I'm already thinking about charging the Model Y parked next to it, LOL. I guess I'm learning what Tesla ownership is all about - haven't got the first one yet, but already planning for the second!

• Love
but I'm already thinking about charging the Model Y parked next to it, LOL. I guess I'm learning what Tesla ownership is all about - haven't got the first one yet, but already planning for the second!
Hence why you should consider the 24 ft cable and just loop the unused portion. I put my HPWC between the two stalls so it could feed either car. And it could be used close by or if the cars were backed in, it would work that way too by using the static coiled cable. Totally flexibility. With the 8 ft cable you have few options.

• Informative
i debated using the low profile as i thought the mount might loosen over time with extra leverage caused by the extended profile. After trying it both ways i went with the extended profile though. i need 22 feet of cord to charge and its easier to loop all the cord over the extender. Mounted through the rear. just required careful measurements to line up the mounting bracket positioned flush with the side of the stud, and leave enough room for the off-center knockout on the back of the charger to be clear of the stud for the wiring.

Attachments

• IMG_5830.jpg
    IMG_5830.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 167
Heh I should be fine. The only practical spot in my garage for the mobile connector or HPWC is 20’ away at the front driver’s side of the bumper. I’ll have to extend the cord pretty much all the way every time.

When not under load, coiling the cable should be fine.