Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC 1st Generation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had an HPWC installed this week in anticipation for our Model 3 delivery on the 17th. I needed a 24' cord in order of location based upon shared usage at our AirBNB cottage. So, I found a unused/unopened charger on Facebook. From my research, it looks like a GEN1 that has a capacity of 100amp. I had it installed only on a 60amp breaker. Question is this: What's the additional benefit of the new Gen chargers that have WiFi capability? It doesn't appear that this one connects to WiFi. I was trying to figure out which model I had, and the differences in the models available. This one came with a seperate holder that the charger rests in versus a holder built into the side of the charger.

Here is pic of it installed

Attachments

• F85A46CC-941B-4E73-95D1-334AA000DEFF.jpeg
    F85A46CC-941B-4E73-95D1-334AA000DEFF.jpeg
    536.7 KB · Views: 115
Pretty sure that is a Gen 2 HPWC. There are a few threads here on Gen 3 ones (thats the one with the wifi). In general the gen 3 one has a shorter cable, a thinner cable, has had some over heating error issues, and is only capable of up to 60 amp connection.

The last part (up to 60 amp connection) doesnt really matter for new teslas since no model 3 charges faster than 48 amp anyway, and a 60 amp circuit is what is used for 48 amp continuous charging.

The benefit of the wifi one is that theoretically, features can be upgraded. There is currently no negative on a generation 2 HPWC vs a Generation 3 one, for home charging. There may be at some point, but there isnt now.

That’s a Gen 1 assuming the front cover is metal. Gen 2 has the plastic silver cover and the Elon black one. Gen 2 can be daisy chained together if you have two cars as we do. You can split the charge or charge car #1 first and then car #2 second. Gen 3 is the glass front and has the WiFi and can be daisy chained but only to another gen 3 I believe. The benefit For the WiFi is that you can activate, monitor and even bill people that use it. Just saw an article on that a few weeks back for VRBO, hotels etc. I’m hoping for our vacation condo I can get our association to add a Gen 3 and then those of us using it can be billed for our consumption.

and can be daisy chained but only to another gen 3 I believe.

No daisy chaining allowed on Gen3, each needs its own dedicated breaker and line, although the breakers can be in a subpanel.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the wifi is all that useful yet. At the moment, its only used for configuration, and power sharing doesn't even work yet. I read that billing is on the way, and that's a good thing. It means that condos and businesses could bill(or at least control access to) there gen3 chargers.

There are other differences between Gen 1 & 2 HPWCs. I have a Gen 1 for our ☰ and a Gen 2 for our Roadie. Both work flawlessly on 50A breakers. The Gen 1 charging amperage is set with DIP switches and the Gen 2 is set with a hexadecimal dial and two DIP switches (switch 2 in the down position is for "legacy" vehicles - i.e. Roadster). I do not know if the Gen 3 will work with the Roadster.

Gen 1 HPWC Manual & Setup Guide
Gen 2 HPWC Manual & Setup Guide

I prefer these over the Gen 3.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
The silver cover is metal, and has the dip switches that allow a configuration higher (80amp) than we have set. It’s set up on a 60amp breaker. I knew I needed a 24’ cord (which limited me away from the new hpwc) because I’ll park the model 3 in the garage barn when need a quick charge, and also have it accessible to guests who stay at the cottage Airbnb here on our property. When a regular overnight charge is enough I’ll park in the house garage and charge with the mobile charger on 110v.

Attachments

• 3B8D706D-A569-42A8-B608-C56954E7B759.jpeg
    3B8D706D-A569-42A8-B608-C56954E7B759.jpeg
    634.5 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: mrau