Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would YOU configure a Model S for the budget conscience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the responses guys, I really appreciate it!

8.5k rebate is only on a new vehicle, or a "used" with under 2,000 km from Tesla. Going with a used with higher mileage I get less warranty and lose the rebate. Plus, the build quality keeps getting better and better, so I have more confidence buying new. Used pricing in Canada is not what it is in the states. Lately, I have seen 1.5 year old loaded S85s with 40,000-60,000kms, for the same price that I can buy a bare bones new S85. Given this choice, I'll take bare bones new.

My other overall thought is I could get the bare bones 60 now, and then get the larger battery model 3 later (hopefully in a CUV form), for us to use for longer trips, making the 60 perfectly fine for the S. My kids are young/not even here yet, so we aren't going to be taking any huge road trips any time soon...like maybe 5 years before trying a big trip down to Florida. As I only take a handful of out of town trips a year now, I can take the ICE if charging won't work out. On the other hand, it seems kind of crazy to spend 80k on car that I can't easily take for a day trip to Toronto (250km away) if its a cold winter day. I've probably repeated my thoughts a lot from my first post here, sorry, this stuff gets my brain running in circles.
You seem pretty concerned about warranty so i would say get the longer warranty with the 85. Also by getting the 60 your warranty might be as short as if you just went with a used 85....so maybe that might change your outlook on used....Also think about battery degradation to about 70% on a 60.