Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to listen to AM radio stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep on the $10 paying for LTE, but you cannot listen to anything without it, except FM. I don't know about AM, since I never listen to it. I listen to CNN and MSNBC sometimes on Tune-In, and yes, they have lots of commercials, as you probably know. Ha ha. But I don't think you can listen to any commercial radio station or TV channel without commercials, even when you pay for the service (like Comcast, Spectrum, etc). Even XM has commercials now, I think.

I really can't believe that they deleted AM. Read somewhere that FM is next. Broadcasters are required by law to transmit their content over the air for free. How else can you get local weather, news, and sports (my Uncle used to own an AM &FM radio station). Support your local advertisers!

TV broadcasters are also required to provide free over the air signals even though a vast majority of viewers receive their content via cable or satellite. Again, support your local advertisers!

AM interferes with something in the car. I forgot the exact details.

Even XM has commercials now, I think.

Nope. I still prefer XM to anything else; installed a Bluetooth XM radio in my Model 3.

The only thing I miss about AM is 1010WINS, but they simulcast on an FM band as well, so I’m covered. For those not from the NYC area, 1010WINS is the most glorious of all news outlets. News, weather, traffic, no nonsense, no spin, no bias. Kinda the last bastion of true reporting.

AM interferes with something in the car. I forgot the exact details.

It isn't that AM interferes with the car, it's that the car interferes with AM reception. I was a little skeptical of the claim, but then got a model S loaner that did have an AM tuner(I'm not sure if they still do, if you are getting a new one). Sure enough, with a strong AM signal the sound quality was tolerable but when the AM signal decreased, motor/inverter whine would swamp it.

I assume that Tesla didn't think the loss of AM would be a big deal, since TuneIn and FM can take care of much of it, and at much better quality. For me that's true, but I didn't listen to all that much AM in the first place.

...could I use my iPhone hotspot instead?
Yes, but you have to go through a process every time you drive:
* Hotspot needs to be on on your phone (leaving it on all the time sucks battery)
* Put car in drive (but don't start driving)
* Tap the LTE icon
* Turn on Wifi
* Wait for the car to connect to the phone

Every
Time
You
Drive

The $10 a month suddenly ain't that bad.

Reactions: timeshifter
Understood! I was just thinking I'd check it out on my analog radio at home, while I'm waiting for the car delivery :)
Also, I have found that the easiest place to find what the HD locations of your favorite AM stations is actually Wikipedia. Often times, the information is buried on the station's web site, but if you look up the station on Wikipedia, it is in the stats box on the right side. For 1010WINS, it shows:

1010WINS.PNG

Are there ads in that version too?

And that $10 / month is buying you a cellular data connection - at least that's my understanding - correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct, the $10 a month is buying you the cars data connection. You can not hotspot off it, however it does work for things like youtube, netflix, etc if you have premium connectivity (meaning you do not have to use your phone as a hotspot to watch netflix on the car screen if you have premium connectivity).

And all those "Tune in to 560 or 1610 on your AM radio to hear the latest conditions" that you find at major bridges, National Parks, big event facilities, Emergency broadcast system, etc? I really don't think mobile Internet/text msgs can fully replace the usage of AM broadcasts of this sort.

kinda sneaky if the reason for omitting the AM radio is the interference generated by the motors and electronics... Do other EVs have the same problem? Ford? VM? Hyundai? Porsche? Nissan?

So the Tesla is emitting other kinds of pollution (EM pollution...). Seems like proper shielding should be possible and mandated.

I suppose, if this problem with AM is universal among EVs, that a switch needs to be made to FM for these purposes (less range but otherwise similar universal outreach).

We may be the only ones. BUT our favorite local public radio station is AM. We have no cell service on large portions of a commute, but DO have AM radio reception on that commute. Maybe an AM radio that can play through the car's speakers? Anyone? Our Bolt EV receives AM just fine...

We may be the only ones. BUT our favorite local public radio station is AM. We have no cell service on large portions of a commute, but DO have AM radio reception on that commute. Maybe an AM radio that can play through the car's speakers? Anyone? Our Bolt EV receives AM just fine...
TuneIn has many AM stations available. IheartRadio has others(and I believe you could use iheartradio with your phone and stream to the car's speakers). Some radio stations also do direct streaming on the interwebs, and they >might< work through the web browser, although I'm not sure I'd bother.