Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Charge 12V when disconnected from High Voltage Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my high voltage battery on my 2014 S85 is bad and needs to be replaced. I just towed it back from the SC and I can't find the fireman's loop - looks like they removed it but forgot to leave it in the car.

The 12V battery is dead - my problem is that I need to get the main screen on to get out of service mode but when I try to charge the battery with a power bank it charges for 30 seconds and then trips for some reason and stops charging.

If I try, the dash screen will turn on and shows service mode but then turns off after 30 seconds.

Any ideas why the 12V won't charge more than a minute? Should I try disconnecting Neg terminal and charging the 12V directly via the Pos bolt? Currently I'm charging via the terminals in the nose cone.

Only power banks I've seen were used to jump the car, not charge the battery. Some only stay on for a minute or so to protect them. I would recommend a 12v battery charger you plug into a wall socket. Also check the voltage on the terminals. If it's very low (like 6v) you may need a charger with a repair feature.

Only power banks I've seen were used to jump the car, not charge the battery. Some only stay on for a minute or so to protect them. I would recommend a 12v battery charger you plug into a wall socket. Also check the voltage on the terminals. If it's very low (like 6v) you may need a charger with a repair feature.
Thanks - that was the problem. I bought a trickle charger and it's all good - car in now in park.

Unfortunately, I noticed that the SC had removed the fireman's loop but not reattached it and it's nowhere to be found. Went there today and they were useless - didn't even know who had worked on the car. Bought one from eBay for $40.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H