Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much are you willing to pay for FSD V12?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla should offer a Personal Use FSD license at somewhere around $3K and a Commercial Use FSD license for owners that want to turn their car into robotaxi's. If they want to change $15K for that commercial use license go ahead. I personally don't think many people want to rent their car out like Turo's. Maybe a commercial company would buy a fleet of cars, but just look at Tura and see what percent of Tesla owners actually rent them out and it is a very small number. I think a much more reasonably priced persona use licensed would have a much higher take rate and might make Tesla more money that a license no one wants to buy.

Reactions: CleanDemon
I'll take FSD v12 if Tesla pays me a $1000 a month stipend, and $100 every time I engage it for more than 10 miles. I think that's a fair trade to be a test driver of a mostly broken product. (it's broken if it can't work perfectly for thousands of lifetimes, don't even start with me).

And Tesla agrees to be 100% liable for any accidents or damage.

As long as we're trying to set a value, that's my offer.

I'd still pay maybe $500 one time fee for EAP, don't get me wrong. I did like the lane change feature on the loaner.

I think Tesla is simply trying to get away from selling it as a car feature and instead, selling it as a subscription.
I agree. Autonomy only makes sense as a subscription. Tesla will likely stop selling FSD upfront if/when they see a clear path to (a year or so away) to autonomy. Until then it will stay a Level 2 system where the system assists the driver, and you need to pay constant attention.

I don't think existing cars will ever be autonomous (L3+) in a large ODD. Possibly hw4 on highway-only due to the radar.

Tesla has still not achieved Level “2.5” (hands off wheel but attention still required). Much less Level 3 (hands off, no attention required but driver needs to be ready to take over when alerted to).
Makes me wonder how far they might be from L3, on designated limited access interstates only? Only things I can see potentially lagging would be cars overtaking @ 100+ MPH (FSD tried to change lanes as one approached) or construction zones (likely needing the human) or lane choice. But otherwise it feels mostly solid.

This is all wrong.

I can see it if the price included insurance. If the vehicle is the second in command authority as to the operation of the vehicle then it is liable for mistakes incurred before intervention can take place.

My take:

V12 FSD Binded to vehicle with insurance:
400/month

V12 FSD Binded to vehicle no insurance:
100/month or $8k

You can’t sell this capability and then deny liability when it faults. If liability falls on you for anything it does then you are paying a premium to get your pp stuck in a bear trap.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
My main worry about subscriptions, is that if Tesla EVER gets L4/L5 to work, it definitely won't be $200/month. It'll be double or triple that, given that the current state of it is questionable, at best. IF they ever release a L4 version (lets be charitable and say 5 years), people will already be $12k+ invested into L2 software...Only to be told it's double or triple if they actually want real FSD.

But hey, since they won't make it to L4 on current hardware, we won't have to worry about any of this. Lol.

Reactions: pilotSteve
When FSD is released my car will have well over 100k miles on it. If they had a flash sale, selling the software for what it was originally available for back in 2018, I'd probably get it. But that isn't happening so I'll just keep with what I have.
If improvements become available for EAP on HW3 equipped cars only, I'll spend the $1k or whatever it is upgrading 2.5 to 3.0

If a FSD license, attached to my account, became available. Allowing me to transfer to another car and even using FSD when renting a Hertz Tesla, I'd pay $15k for that. That would be sweet

With a “fully working” non beta FSD(v12) soon to be release, maybe in the next 1 - 2 yrs. How much are you willing to pay for it? I feel the original price of $5k is reasonable, $15k isn’t, unless you turn your tesla into a taxi, some sort of automated delivery service vehicle or something which makes money for you.

I think, just guessing, at $15k maybe less than 5% would purchase FSD. At $5k maybe around 20% - 30% would purchase it? So in the end Tesla could make more profit selling it at its original price. The subscription I feel is just money lost which doesn’t add to the vehicles resale value.
“Fully working” was essentially the promise in late 2016 for Fall 2017. That was a promise made over 6 years ago. Why would anyone assume the guy who made that promise will have it fully working within two years? Given the continuing glitches, I would be more inclined to believe the current HW3 will never be fully working. Is the current FSD worth $15k? Not for me but luckily it cost less than half that amount for my two cars when FSD was purchased during the 2019 “sale.”

I wonder how much difference HW4 will make. Right now, FSD is a software problem not a hardware limitation problem.
Tell that to the B-pillar camera that often cannot see well enough at obstructed view intersections to make safe decisions. Depending on where you live this may or may not be a major problem. For me it is.

Not even worth15K if you could transfer it
IF it's true L4/5, I would disagree. BUT, it's still many many many years, if ever, before we see that.

So I think the whole argument is moot, at this point. People were having the same conversation when Tesla sold FSD in 2016 for $5k (EAP) + $3k (FSD), and the same argument still stands...7 years later, except it costs $15k now.

And we'll probably still be having this same conversation 7 years from now when FSD (Still Beta...since AP1 is still Beta 9 years later). Except in 7 years, under current hardware, it'll cost $20-30k and still function as a Level 2 (3 at best), assist.

Reactions: CDennis100