Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Tesla's in New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just out of interest, how has Peter Jackson registered his LHD Tesla in new zealand? I thought you cannot import LHDs into Aus/NZ?
You will need to get a category A LHD vehicle permit from the NZ Transport Agency.

To issue a permit for a vehicle, the Transport Agency must either deem it to have historic value, or it must be a vehicle that was not manufactured in right-hand drive form that meets three of the following four requirements:

• The vehicle (or its make, model and submodel) is identified as being a collector's item in a commercially produced motoring publication.
  • The vehicle's make and model and submodel has been (or was) manufactured in annual volumes of 20,000 units or less.
  • The vehicle is, and was manufactured as, a two-door coupe or a convertible.
  • The vehicle is, and was manufactured as, a high-performance vehicle.
You must also comply with the following requirements:

• You must be a New Zealand citizen or resident.
  • You must not have received a category A LHD vehicle permit during the two years before your application.
  • The vehicle must be registered in your name.
  • You must prove the other necessary standards for the vehicle year.
more information at: Category A special interest left-hand drive vehicles | NZ Transport Agency

spotted at Auckland airport.
image.jpg

I'm traveling here to visit family and was pleasantly surprised to see a MS on Donovan Rd in Blockhouse Bay. I didn't know if I'd actually see a car on the road with so few (relatively) registered in NZ. Was also glad to see two destination chargers in Paihia. Road trip!

Kudos to all of the Kiwi Tesla owners who have made a commitment to the car before Tesla even set foot in NZ.

Reactions: Attica04