Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long will 12 volt plug stay on for and is the 16 volt battery continuously being charged from the main battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AFAIK depending on the timing of your MY build - the low voltage system uses either a 12volt lead acid battery or a 12 volt LI battery system. Not sure what you mean by a 16 volt battery? The low voltage 12 volt LI battery should last the life of the car more or less - about the same as the main battery on average. Your MY will power off shortly after you leave the vehicle with your phone key/and or card key. Even if you are sitting in the vehicle in Park, it'll power off after 30 minutes from what I have read.

How long will 12 volt plug stay on for

When the car goes to sleep mode, the Auxiliary plug (front console and rear trunk) are turned off.
You should hear the 'boung' of the relay isolating the High Voltage battery, when the car goes to sleep mode.

is the 16 volt battery continuously being charged from the main battery

I would recommend adding a Bluetooth Battery Monitor so you will be able to see when your battery get charged by the DC/DC Inverter.
When I am not using my car, my battery get recharged for about 2 hours every two days.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
The 12v plug is actually 16v with the Li battery, and you will probably have to enable camp-mode to ensure that power stays on when parked. The plugs are rated 12A continuous, +/- 150w, and you should be fine just as long as the main battery state is above 20%. Just make sure that what you plug in is rated at 16v.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
Yes, there is a lot of confusion around the lithium ion low voltage battery. It is definitely 16v and not 12v. Some of the early units were actually mislabeled as 12v further adding to confusion.

As long as the car is not sleeping, the low voltage battery is maintained by the high voltage battery. The low voltage battery actually has a protection mechanism that will internally disconnect the battery from the vehicle electrical system if the soc drops below 10%. This is to prevent damage to the lion low voltage battery.

Camp mode will work but will also keep climate control on the entire time. I believe turning off climate control also turns off camp mode.