Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How hard would it be to make an electric semi truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But you wrote about them doing this by 2017, before the Model 3:

It might not be necessary for 100% of Tesla's deliveries and transports to be made with these trucks. If perhaps 30 to 50 of their trucks were on the road, that might be enough to get the word out. If Tesla intends to release a pickup truck around 2020 or so, it would be a good idea to have these road trucks in public view around 2017. That would be just in time for the ramp up of production for the Model E, so it would get that much more publicity. And that publicity would increase anticipation for the pickup truck, call it the Model P.

This would be a huge undertaking and a huge distraction at a time when they can least afford it, for little to no benefit. Those who believe what the likes of Limbaugh have to say will not be the least bit influenced by a handful of EV trucks.

It's... a strategy.

If Tesla figures out a way to stagger multiple battery factories as follows:

GF #1 Starts line production 2016. 5GWh.
GF #1 Medium throughput 2017. 15GWh.
GF #2 Starts line production 2017. 5GWh.
GF #1 Increased throughput 2018. 25GWh.
GF #2 Medium throughput 2018. 15GWh.
GF #3 Starts line production 2018. 5GWh.

etc.

Tesla will find ways to use the batteries.

Including pickup trucks, boats, hypersonic jets, RVs, Big Rigs and others. Go crazy.

If it was powered by fossil fuels, an electric version is either planned or will be built in the next ~10 years.

transpower is a company in san diego that builds semi-trucks, school buses, and port tows.
1795547_690881654302852_574717666_n.jpg

ev west posted something about them a long time ago.
transpowers website is... pretty bad.
TransPower

I know this is an old post but a trucker told me about an electric semi that looked like a bullet train yesterday so I was surfin Google.... It really wouldn't be that hard, time-consuming and tedious maybe, but the technology exists. They just need the right engineer to pay attention to the right things, and to spend a little time and resources polishing the designs. There exists a natural and measurable property of bipolar and ferrous materials (those which produce magnetic flux upon stimulation via current) called permeability. Some materials produce more flux per amp than others, some resist formation of a field and this creates a wider dissipation (the field diameter would be something like 3/4 of a meter in diameter rather than a decimeter or two, they just need to do a little metallurgy to find the right ratios of silica and the right material as their current transformer steel boasts a lower value for such. Then they could widen the motor and add coils to the rotation to lower rotational speeds, which would mimick the high torque low Rev conditions nessesary to haul large loads. The right materials produce 1000-2500 Tesla's at a single amp ~> an amp hour rated at their battery's voltage. A 230ah battery running at 230v could run for up to 230 hours if the gear set was designed to keep the motor in range of 1a of consumption..... Naturally this would produce maybe just 500-700ftlb of torque through most gear sets, but that's no more an issue than matching a 1:3 gear set or a 1:15 gear set....

It isn't rocket science, they're just busy playing with robotic arms which hook your charger up automatically when you drive up rather than the motor specs.... Could be due to disinterest, or maybe no one took a gander at the right information, people rarely look for something to make of a degree program before they enter the program because they don't know what they want to do with their degree.... Millions over look the same info in every field because they're students.... They went to get an education and can't be expected to know what to do with it, when they're done they're looking back on a book shelf full of data, so they're back at square one, trying to find a needle in a haystack.

It can be done, someone just needs to stop talking about it, and take a little time to try a few things out.

Mmhmm, a highly saturatable material can produce 2500 teslas at an amp. Quite frankly I don't give a damn whether y'all use it, blah...., all you want, it's your vehicle/war on fossil fuels not mine. I don't receive a dime for arguing, feel free to ignore it.

I know this is an old thread, but at least this post is on-topic:

Nikola Motors is working on a serial Hybrid semi.
Nikola Motor Company | Premium Electric Vehicles

Opened reservations, and got $2.3 billion worth.
Nikola Motor Company (Plug-In Electric Semi-Trucks) Opens Reservations & Finds $2.3 Billion In Demand

This is a concept that makes great sense - run a fuel-efficient single-speed turbine to generate electricity, and use a fully electric drivetrain. You eliminate all the inefficiencies of accelerating an 80,000 pound vehicle, and losing all that kinetic energy each time you brake. You don't have to have a clutch and drive system that can take the abuse of accelerating that 80,000 pounds. Acceleration should be vastly smoother, and with a dozen fewer gear changes a lot faster even with the same torque available. They claim 50% lower fuel costs, which seems like an underestimate to me, but might be right for a highway truck. Imagine the higher efficiency of an intracity deliver truck.

It isn't rocket science, they're just busy playing with robotic arms which hook your charger up automatically when you drive up rather than the motor specs....

My take is that those robotic arms are MUCH more important. They're critical to the main focus of the company over the next 5 years which is winning the transition to autonomous vehicles. If you have a fleet of autonomous vehicles you need chargers that plug themselves in without human involvement. The current specs for the motor and battery work just fine.

Autonomous driving for tractor trailers is a different market that has a lot of interest from other companies because it can use LIDAR and more expensive sensor suites. The physics just don't favor pure battery electrics for awhile in this market.

I am going to use really rough numbers here because there's not really a "standard" semi.

Engine = 1200 lbs
Fuel (300g diesel) = 2160 lbs
Transmission + torque converter = 1200 lbs
Driveline + differential = 800 lbs
(Like I said really rough numbers) = 5360 lbs

More rough numbers.... Lol
550hp
1200 lb. ft. tourque

You would probably get a motor specifically for this, but let's say you just want to use Teslas rear P motor because you can get it off the shelf. And the numbers seem to work all right.

Assuming a 3 axle semi truck you would need 3 of the P motors. So at 3 P motors per axle you would arrive at:

470hp??? X 3 = 1410hp lol
443 lb. ft. X 3 = 1329 lb. ft.

So most importantly the torque is pretty equivalent.

Add the weight of motor + diff + inverter = 525lbs X 3 = 1575lbs

So let's see what the total weight we have removed.
5360 - 1575 = 3785lbs

So if a 85kw pack weighs 1200lbs.

So that means we can have 3.15 85kw packs or 268kw of battery and be at the exact same weight as our starting semi, but now we have 1410 hp and 1329 lb. ft. of torque.

So continuing on this train of thought... And most importantly assuming my numbers aren't way off the mark (which is probably likely); anyways, let's build like 40 of these(for now at least) :)

Let's make them aerodynamically sculpted works of art. We are also going to need some custom Tesla tractor trailers (imagine the year 2100, futuristic, giant T's emblazoned across the sides, beautiful works of art again, etc.).

Now I know the gigafactory uses rail to ship packs to Fremont, but wouldn't it be so much cooler to use your own automated fleet of electric Tesla trucks, with the packs all charged by solar from the gigafactory powering them.

The 40 or so packs that you would transport to Fremont from the gigafactory could even easily be hooked in parallel to power the semi on the way to Fremont.

On the way back, maybe just maybe, the 268kw of batteries in our modified truck might just get you to squeak into the factory with just enough power to start over.

And if it's not, add some solar panels to the top of the trailer, add a couple more battery packs. With combined tractor trailer weight of 80,000 lbs we can add enough packs to make sure we get back. Maybe we could even truck recently arrived cells from Panasonic at the Oakland ship yard to Fremont. We have 40 trucks remember...

Also some great advertising running electric Tesla semis up and down hwy 80 in California all day every day.

Plus, if this was feasible, and they did decide to transport packs via electric semi from sparks to Fremont. It would be a great test bed for seeing how well the P motors perform in high torque required miles.

Last edited:
To be fair, I'm almost sure that this would be part 2 of the plan. Nobody wants to do it and yet the technology is there for it. Just like the electric car at the time. Not to mention that Elon often talked about his desire to make a truck. If you look for the truck definition in wikipedia : Truck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that would make sense.

Here are my ideas on the topic (on top of what you already talked about). I know, some of the ideas are a bit far-fetched but who knows...I've been driving an electric car (S60) for the last 3 years which is something I never thought I would do!

For the Tesla Truck (Model TT), the tractor unit will have a relatively small battery (around 100miles) since the "real" battery (capable of doing around 500+miles fully loaded) would be in the semi-trailer as you already talked about.

The top of the semi-trailer will be covered with solar panels (hence the importance of the SolarCity acquisition) which means that technically speaking, you will never have to charge the semi-trailers. Just leave them in your warehouse parking lot under the sun and they will charge themselves instead of just sitting there doing nothing like they do today. Not to mention that the solar panels will also allow them to recharge the trailer batteries while in transit since the surface on top of a trailer is as big as the surface covered by panels on a house rooftop (if not bigger). In other words, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Model TT arriving at destination with still 50% charge left in the tank when traveling on a sunny day. This said, a plug will still be provided in case you don't have any sun in your area or if you have to keep your semi-trailers inside the warehouse for some reason. There is no need to charge the tractor unit either since hooking it up to a trailer will do the trick. Its battery is mainly used just to go from one trailer to another.
With "alpha" autopilot driving in place, the driver will only be responsible to bring the truck on and off the highway. There will be Tesla Truck Stations (TTS) on highways where the driver will leave the truck and put it in autonomous mode. The truck will drive itself to the next TTS where another driver will pick it up to bring it in town thus explaining why autopilot is so important for Tesla. This means that truck drivers will be able to stay with their families instead of always being out of town. This also means that once arrived at destination, just by switching the tractor from one semi-trailer to another, the driver will be able to send off a return trip right away. Fully autonomous driving might eventually completely replace the driver.

Semi-trailers will also have a motor (or more) for smoother acceleration, deceleration and of course : regenerative breaking. The tractor will need to be authorized to pick up the semi-trailer (via LTE connection) which means that stealing a semi-trailer will be as easy as stealing a model S (i.e. this will be very difficult to steal <- this clarification is destined for anyone working for Fortune Magazine as they tend to have some issues with obvious things...that is, if they managed to read until this point).

Last but not least, semi-trailers could be just rented by Tesla to customers which means that all they would have to buy would be the Tesla tractor (although the tractor could be rented as well). Main reason being that Tesla could use the semi-trailers to recycle model S,X,3 cells by using them in there. Same goes for solar panels reusability.

According to The Real Cost of Trucking - Per Mile Operating Cost of a Commercial Truck - TruckersReport.com , gas costs are 39% of yearly trucking costs and trailer/cab is 17% which would mean 56% cost reduction right there. Autonomous driving will inevitably take over thus adding another 26% reduction (driver cost). Minor things remaining are maintenance costs which will be slightly reduced since the tractor won't need oil changes and for tires, Tesla just made a partnership with Hankook so I'll let you draw your own conclusions...

All of this to say that Tesla could easily add a trucking division with potentially 80% less costs than traditional trucking companies. This means that even if they were charging half the price of what regular companies charge, this new Tesla division would still be making a 30% margin. Sounds like a secret master plan to me... What do you think?

P.S. : Mr Musk, if any of the above could be part of a plan, just make a random tweet with words using the letters DTB (like Detrimental Targeted Bonification). People here will know what it means and this will remain (somewhat) top secret...

Basically it would be hard to make an EV 18 wheeler. In practical use 5 kw of batteries is equavalent to a gallon of gas. So a massive 200 kw pack weighing 3000 lbs would yield the same range as 40 gal of gas. With an 18 wheeler getting about 6 mpg that would be a range of 240 miles. Even with super chargers you then have 3 hours to recharge. Not too practical. Now for in-town UPS trucks I can see that working.

Note that tractors often have a total tank capacity of about 300 gallons.

I know this is an old thread, but at least this post is on-topic:

Nikola Motors is working on a serial Hybrid semi.
Nikola Motor Company | Premium Electric Vehicles

Opened reservations, and got $2.3 billion worth.
Nikola Motor Company (Plug-In Electric Semi-Trucks) Opens Reservations & Finds $2.3 Billion In Demand

This is a concept that makes great sense - run a fuel-efficient single-speed turbine to generate electricity, and use a fully electric drivetrain. You eliminate all the inefficiencies of accelerating an 80,000 pound vehicle, and losing all that kinetic energy each time you brake. You don't have to have a clutch and drive system that can take the abuse of accelerating that 80,000 pounds. Acceleration should be vastly smoother, and with a dozen fewer gear changes a lot faster even with the same torque available. They claim 50% lower fuel costs, which seems like an underestimate to me, but might be right for a highway truck. Imagine the higher efficiency of an intracity deliver truck.
I think it is interesting to note that that it seems like that hybrid semi has a 2 speed auto trans. As I have expressed my opinion that performance electric cars need a second gear, I also think trucks will need a second as well(one for take off and one at highway speed). I do however thing that trucks and performance cars will be the only categories of vehicle that will need 2 speeds. Every other like eco and luxury will be fine with 1 speed.

Now I know the gigafactory uses rail to ship packs to Fremont, but wouldn't it be so much cooler to use your own automated fleet of electric Tesla trucks, with the packs all charged by solar from the gigafactory powering them.
Not at all.
Rails is way better when you can have a fixed starting point and a fixed end point.
Of course trains are powered by eletricity and so of course it use clean energy.

It's not a good think to destroy the road for no purpose while a rail track can last much longer and with less repair needed and not congestionate the normal road.

And of course, don't forget, it's way faster and safer

If all done properly.

Reactions: Topher