Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you filter/ignore sentry events?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my first Tesla about a month ago. Enabled sentry mode as it seemed logical to do. Of course, I've since found out there is no way to watch the clips saved to the USB drive by sentry mode from the car's touch screen, that you have to plug the USB drive into something that can play the video clips.

So when I've seen the sentry events notification, I've inspected my car to make sure it's fine, and of course it has been just fine every time.

Finally, today I pulled out the USB drive to see what was on these sentry clips... and it's just people walking down the sidewalk. And there's tons of clips.

I get that it is non-trivial for a computer to determine what is of interest and what is not. So, what do y'all do? I think I'd feel like an idiot sitting in my car plugging the USB drive into a player every time it notifies me of a sentry event only to see nothing on the clips but someone walking by. And yet I still feel compelled to visually inspect my car every time the notification shows up. How do you all handle this?

Perhaps after your first ding or scratch, you will get over compulsion to check! Given it alerts for most activity around the car, you kind of just have to let it go after quick walk around to confirm all is good. Or you can park in remote places to reduce risk and decrease alerts. It’s only really useful in worst case scenario where you find real damage and could do something about it with video evidence.

I assume you are aware of this great tool: TeslaCam Video WebApp Player

When parked away from home, it's pretty rare that I get in the car and there's not a sentry alert. I pretty much completely ignore them now, don't even check out the car. I figure if someday I find actual damage, I'll just have to sift through the recent alerts and try to find what happened.