Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How bad is M3 paint in reality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL;DR- As others have expressed, YMMV with paint quality, regardless of price point.

If you have an eye for detail and the delivery is in good/bright conditions, you will see some issues, guaranteed. I have never seen a Tesla with perfect paint, even post-correction. I've seen hundreds up close now, as I work across the street from the north Scottsdale SC, and periodically stop by to snoop on quality of new vehicles they're delivering there, and at the nearby overflow in shopping area to the north. Plus, I wanted to see a Y in the flesh ASAP...

In Tesla's defense, I have also seen numerous nibs, runs and other similar paint flaws on freshly detailed Porsche 911 turbos, McLaren 720S & 670LT, M-B, and BMW vehicles on dealer lots this area too. (I love cars/trucks of all kinds, and have had hour lunches to kill for 12+ years up here...) I've also seen TLX/MDX, Camry and Jetta with nearly flawless paint, save for some light orange peel texture. In my opinion, the best paint quality is on the Rolls, Bentley, Jag, Aston, Acura, Lexus and VAG vehicles, roughly in that order. Seen some real nasty stuff, mostly mismatch bumper or fascia inserts on M-B, BMW, and other brands, with Honda & Nissan being by far the worst for mismatch and peel texture.

Honestly, the best Tesla build quality I have witnessed to date is my coworker's 2013 model S, with flat white paint. His nearly 90k mile car is super solid, WAY better built than either of the model S loaners I've had or the brand new S P100D I drove as a fresh test drive car. So much better built than my 3 that I won't even compare, its just not fair. His battery degradation is not worth mentioning either, and is still rattle free save one minor intermittent rattle with dash trim on passenger end. He never fixes it because he can't hear it and doesn't care, lol.

My car is a whole other story though...

My blue 2019 SR+ was full of aesthetic issues on delivery:

(I know, I should have refused it, but needed car that second. Long story...)
  • Misaligned doors/panels (very minor-medium severity, damn near every one, except the trunk/lights)
  • Misaligned door seals bunching up in 'corners' around B pillar (worse in rear)
  • 5+ nibs/dust trapped under clear/in pearl coat, randomly all over
  • 2x runs, one huge an nasty in the color coat, requiring repaint of R-rear quarter, the other less noticeable on front bumper
  • Most inside hinge areas with exposed 'primer' / ecoat, passenger side doors worse overall
  • Varying degrees of orange peel, from minimal to bad, depending on panel
  • The Tempe SC fumbled the PDI and prep, and swirled the living daylights out of the entire car with very bad buffout
  • Minor front bumper tone mismatch (Nowhere near bad enough to make them replace, but not great either. AKA- Not Nissan/Honda levels of plastic vs. metal mismatch)

Last edited:
Tesla owners have learned to accept specification defects as unique features.
I should stop reading the forums until my m3 arrives.... at least... ;)

Also I think the panels of the car are aligned to keep the car balanced for one occupant...perfect. The assembly is also another wonder to behold...it's built so that you can also share your love of the car by participating in it's construction...you get to finish off...or visit their awesome service centers. Their appointments are worry free and hassle free just by a few taps and pictures from your phone.

• Love
Reactions: Tres_Azul