Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are people applying enough force in NOA steering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue with a sock on the wheel is that if you do have to make a turn the sock weight is going to be swinging around wildly and is very dangerous. I have heard of people using a 3d printed box found on Thingiverse that is a safer alternative. ;)
Or, as I mentioned above, just stick 11-12oz of wheel weights to the back of one of the horizontal spokes of the steering wheel. If you take a little time with placement, you won't even notice that they're there. Poof! No more nag... ever!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00678LP6M?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title&tag=tmc064-20

• Disagree
Reactions: jrad6515 and EinSV
After several non-scientific methods, I found that 12 grams is enough weight to satisfy the system. So 12 grams of pennies in a sock wrapped around the side of the steering wheel is all you need to drive from Texas to New Mexico without touching the steering wheel. :p

I expect that depends on how far out from center you place them. With the wheel weights, to make them unobtrusive, you might have to place some closer to the center, so more than 12 grams, right? Half an ounce in a baggie?

Yep, completely normal. It is the car's equivalent of "I warned you and now you are getting a time out..."

"Has anyone else had this issue..when AP disengages after it doesn’t accept my hand pressure I get a message that says “AP is no longer available on this route”
I can not restart it even on perfect highway conditions until I stop the car and restart my drive again. Is this normal?"

Or, as I mentioned above, just stick 11-12oz of wheel weights to the back of one of the horizontal spokes of the steering wheel. If you take a little time with placement, you won't even notice that they're there. Poof! No more nag... ever!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00678LP6M?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title&tag=tmc064-20

Those are very similar to the weights I use in my 3D printed box. The box just makes it easier to remove if I ever want to (which so far I haven't).

With the 2019.8.5 update, the Navigate On Autopilot is an order of magnitude more powerful. In fact it's amazing. But I find it tricky to satisfy "sufficient resistance" on the steering wheel. If I just rest my right hand relaxed on the wheel like previously, it seems to nag too easily. That's not so bad.

But a new problem that develops for me, is that the opposite excess resistance seems to easily kick the system out of auto-steer, which can be very troublesome at highway speeds. By the time I fully realize it, many milliseconds and significant distance have elapsed, with that many opportunities for catastrophe.

I'm tempted to do the unthinkable and hang a "sock full o' change" weight on the wheel -- not so I can text or surf, or do the Macarena, or crawl in the back over the folded down back seats to take a "power nap", but ONLY so I can rest my right hand on the wheel without having to constantly adjust how much to fight it. Know what I'm sayin' ?

Anybody else having this issue? Approaches? Solutions?

I have just done a test drive, and that is one of the reasons I'm still on the fence and haven't bought it. I am comparing it to one of the new Chevy Bolts. In most ways the Tesla is tremendously superior, but I'm an old guy, and not sure about learning a whole new driving feel.

It is required only about every 30-50 seconds while moving.
Incorrect. It depends on vehicle speed. It'll drop to 20 second intervals, and then around 80mph or so it drops to 10 sec intervals. Also, the NoAP needs it during every lane change and it isn't quite is easy as before. The tension needs to be maintained longer (I haven't measured with a strain gauge but it doesn't feel like it needs to be stronger force, just longer).

Also, unlike still being accepted by AP/EAP, NoAP will no longer accepts thumbwheel input as valid user input to satisfy the "are you here?" Unclear if this change was intended, I just saw a tweet by Musk from 2 weeks ago that implies it was not intended, or at least that he didn't know about the change.

Last edited:
I have just done a test drive, and that is one of the reasons I'm still on the fence and haven't bought it. I am comparing it to one of the new Chevy Bolts. In most ways the Tesla is tremendously superior, but I'm an old guy, and not sure about learning a whole new driving feel.

Many here are "old guys". Are you still using a rotary dial phone? It's like anything, we're talking about working out details here, in the end you not only get used to it, you love it. Personally I think the whole AP has huge value, especially if you ever have to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. But it's included now, so if you have doubts at first, skip the FSD, and the Standard Plus is a great great car. Not to knock any other car, but I don't see anything at the price that can even comes close.

Last edited:

I'm no spring chicken myself, but after about a month of owning my car I can't imagine driving anything else. I'm hopeful that someday this same car will be able to shuttle me around when I'm no longer able to drive myself. I'm nearly certain that will not happen with current versions of the Bolt.

Incorrect. It depends on vehicle speed. It'll drop to 20 second intervals, and then around 80mph or so it drops to 10 sec intervals. Also, the NoAP needs it during every lane change and it isn't quite is easy as before. The tension needs to be maintained longer (I haven't measured with a strain gauge but it doesn't feel like it needs to be stronger force, just longer).

Also, unlike still being accepted by AP/EAP, NoAP will no longer accepts thumbwheel input as valid user input to satisfy the "are you here?" Unclear if this change was intended, I just saw a tweet by Musk from 2 weeks ago that implies it was not intended, or at least that he didn't know about the change.
My version 9.0 is still 30-50 seconds up to 60 mph and activating either thumb wheel still satisfies the nag.

Many here are "old guys". Are you still using a rotary dial phone? ...Not to knock any other car, but I don't see anything at the price that can even comes close.

Ok sorry to stray from the OP, BUT... we have two 3s and just YESTERDAY I bought a rotary phone!!! LOL!

Cheers to oldies but goodies!
57783547014__90432E3B-BE0C-4369-AF02-29EC9F937B74.JPG

I must report my Nicki in NOA was bad tonight.

In two separate places coming off a freeway, (s)he thought
the shoulder strip was as good a lane as any. Bad Nicki!

Granted, it was painted with white lines, it's the fashion,
maybe something to do with bike or wheelchair lanes,
but it was narrow, Nicki baby, not a good choice.

Great performance otherwise lane changing over three
freeways into/out of downtown Oakland. And a lovely
parallel parking, one I wouldn't have managed myself
without a spotter or two. It used to make me nervous,
and then I realized Nicki knows how far everything is,
and values that black wet-look body as much as I do.

Gonna have to put some black velcro'd fishweights on,
to provide for a more brutal wheel grab, as opposed to
that limp-wristed hand on wheel business. My Nicki
needs some discipline!

p.s. Rotary's baaack. Black! So's Vinyl, and Cassettes.
It's like short/long skirts and narrow/wide ties: you
wait long enough and that oldie will be in style again.
Hey, Elon, maybe horses are the future!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Runnergirl
In two separate places coming off a freeway, (s)he thought
the shoulder strip was as good a lane as any. Bad Nicki!

Granted, it was painted with white lines, it's the fashion,
maybe something to do with bike or wheelchair lanes,
but it was narrow, Nicki baby, not a good choice.
It may have grabbed onto the rightmost line at the lane marker and ignored the middle one (as opposed to trying to fit in the bike lane).
Agree, something that needs corrected. Did it originally shift where there was a break in the lane markings (intersection of off ramp)?

There were two events. There weren't any wheelchair lanes, that was in jest. But with heavy rains, unusual around here, the lines may be messed up.

One exiting from the freeway it was correctly going for the right lane to navigate onward but I had to intervene as it was going too far. I didn't have time to note the lane markings. Somewhere around here

Google Maps

The other was exiting from one freeway to go through a narrow underpass and catch the next freeway, and there it pretty suddenly went too far to the right, the shoulder is wide and it seemed it considered it a lane. Somewhere around here

Google Maps

Is there a mechanism to report these sorts of locations to Tesla?

My funniest one was when I wasn't in autopilot but driving on an elevated freeway and the nav voice was suggesting I turn left at such and such a street, it would have required a 20 foot drop to the streets below.

Many here are "old guys". Are you still using a rotary dial phone? It's like anything, we're talking about working out details here, in the end you not only get used to it, you love it. Personally I think the whole AP has huge value, especially if you ever have to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. But it's included now, so if you have doubts at first, skip the FSD, and the Standard Plus is a great great car. Not to knock any other car, but I don't see anything at the price that can even comes close.

I have a rotary dial phone that I try to use at least once a year to see if I can still do it. (I'm surprised the system still works.) But touch tone came out in my youth.

Reactions: Runnergirl
My version 9.0 is still 30-50 seconds up to 60 mph
Well sure, but most places where NoA is used you're risking getting run over traveling at that speed unless there's a traffic jam. ;)
and activating either thumb wheel still satisfies the nag.
For NoA lane change? Mine works satisfying the "going straight" nag, but 8.5 NoA refused to lane change using just spinner inputs.

Constantly adjusting the volume to satisfy nags cracks me up. You can just click the drive stalk down a single detent once to acknowledge a nag without messing with the music.

No no no... some songs NEED to be louder... some softer.. and then I need to skip songs I don't like! Left hand MUUUUUST be on the scroll ball! :p. I'd be there even without the nag feature.