Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How about a EV Ski Boat.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great video. Unfortunately I feel as if theres a huge difference in the SKI Nautique and the G series.

Tremendous amount of weight difference not to mention adding an extra 5000 lbs to surf. That would absolutely destroy the battery range. Hopefully in the future though.

Why would it add 5000 lbs??? The motor weighs 100 lbs compared to what, 400-500 for an ICE? The 85 kWh battery pack weighs 1,200 lb, a far cry from 5000! I'm not convinced you need the full 85 kWh for a ski boat.

More of an issue is needing 240 volts on your dock. Rather than the lightweight 48 amp charging in Tesla cars, I would make sure the boat will charge at as high a rate as possible, so at least 72 amps like my model X.

Why would it add 5000 lbs??? The motor weighs 100 lbs compared to what, 400-500 for an ICE? The 85 kWh battery pack weighs 1,200 lb, a far cry from 5000! I'm not convinced you need the full 85 kWh for a ski boat.

More of an issue is needing 240 volts on your dock. Rather than the lightweight 48 amp charging in Tesla cars, I would make sure the boat will charge at as high a rate as possible, so at least 72 amps like my model X.

In boats ballast is added via water. fills tanks to list a boat and creates more wake and or wave. Before you load the boat you dump your ballast. Turns a 6000lbs boat and trailer into over 10,000 lbs. trust my I know. I have once pulled my boat out with the ballast full before.. No way would anyone want to be towing a boat loaded with an extra 5000 lbs everywhere

Agreed with all this. If I think about how we use our boat, 90% of our trips we use 10 gallons or less. Mostly tube or ski for a bit then go sit and float. I'd imagine a lot of people are the same.

The video was interesting in that they talked as if there were special mechanical issues with the motor in a boat. They didn't really explain what they meant so I can't say if it makes sense to me.

As I write this the holiday weekenders are all around with kids diving off docks and boats out on the water roaring by from time to time. With the huge speed advantage of electric power it would be so awesome if the lake were to become quiet, even on the holiday weekends and I only heard the kids playing. Then I might actually hang around on the weekends. Right now I'm trying to decide if my back is getting over a pulled muscle enough that I can take a kayak with me to Frederick for a paddle Sunday. The truck seems to be running good, but I still love the X. Yesterday when I drove the truck back from the repair shop I kept getting a funny feeling like the auto pilot wasn't steering like it should.

In boats ballast is added via water. fills tanks to list a boat and creates more wake and or wave. Before you load the boat you dump your ballast. Turns a 6000lbs boat and trailer into over 10,000 lbs. trust my I know. I have once pulled my boat out with the ballast full before.. No way would anyone want to be towing a boat loaded with an extra 5000 lbs everywhere

I take it this is a wake boarding feature? My Mastercraft is designed to make as little wake as possible I think.

What's Up Outdoors - The future of outboards

Electric fishing boat. Only 40 hp for now but I’m sure there will be bigger ones.

Yeah, the battery is the important part. The Tesla engines are only 100 lbs or less. The batteries are much heavier. Some bass fisherman want real power in their boats and when they crank it the boat nearly stands straight up. But 125 and certainly 175 HP is plenty. I expect a 40 kWh battery would be great too. The problem will be charging if you don't have a house on the water. You'll have to take it home each day to charge overnight. Maybe that's not a problem.

In the above article they don't talk about an instrument cluster. He says, "six to eight hours of average use between charges", but no indication how you will know if you are getting near the end. Photos are all of the engine and none of the controls/instruments. Running out of fuel on the water is even worse than running out of fuel along the road. lol

What about a Swamp Boat. An Electric one would be a lot quieter.
Swamp-Boat-square.jpg

This thread is a bit old, but curious if you all have heard about the all electric Nautique GS22E debuting this fall: Super Air Nautique GS22E - Electric Boat Engine

2-3 Hours of typical water sport use.... Ya an hr of surfing and this boats dead in the water, literally. I really want to see them succeed but honestly 99% of the people who use their boat won't care how long it takes for them to charge. We just want longer operating time and then have a week for it to charge in the garage after. Good on Natique for stepping up. But their boats are hefty.... +200K Hefty