Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason I ask about TeslaFi is that it uses a token instead of the password, so it would be more secure, right?
Yes, assuming that the developer has implemented it correctly. I'm not insinuating that the developers of these apps have malicious intent, but good security is hard (especially if, like in these monitoring services, there is a cloud backend involved) and stealing a Tesla is ridiculously convenient for a thief who has the account password

• Informative
Reactions: UTMB
I go running without my phone; the watch has all the podcasts and music. Don’t want to carry a card or key fob if I don’t have to. Not usually a consideration since 99% of my runs start and end at. Home.

But your comment gives me pause. Should I stick with Teslafi and the tesla app only.

I use stats for the Watch app. It’s a good one. Also, I ran off a 120V for about two weeks while I waited for my electrician to get me in his schedule. My commute is in town, but it was fine as long as I plugged in all the time. Charging took a LONG time but overnight was enough to keep things okay. Now I get in an hour what took 5, so it feels rather luxurious.

Reactions: hcdavis3 and UTMB
120V charging is really slow (around 3-5 miles/hour).

Yes, I did an overnight test drive of a Model S and hooked it up to the NEMA 5-15 in our garage. About 4 miles of range per hour was the rate. So, with my Model3 if I arrive home at 18:00 and plug in, then by 06:15 I’ll have 48 miles replenished. Ample range for my 17 mile drive each way. If we have some crazy schedule that will eat too many miles over several days, then I’ll drive my 135i or the Forester. Once the charger shows up, there will be fewer constraints on when and where I can drive in a given 24 hour period and stay neutral.

Question is whether I’ll really feel like driving the 135i much.

Reactions: Remonster
Yes, assuming that the developer has implemented it correctly. I'm not insinuating that the developers of these apps have malicious intent, but good security is hard (especially if, like in these monitoring services, there is a cloud backend involved) and stealing a Tesla is ridiculously convenient for a thief who has the account password

So, I’m wondering if the key fob would maybe be a safe alternative, and a way for a valet to access your car, or would be useful if your runnung shorts have an unobtrusive key pocket. It has beendissed as a weak brother to phone access. Wearing it on my biceps on a bandwould be kind of a hassle.

Yes, I did an overnight test drive of a Model S and hooked it up to the NEMA 5-15 in our garage. About 4 miles of range per hour was the rate. So, with my Model3 if I arrive home at 18:00 and plug in, then by 06:15 I’ll have 48 miles replenished. Ample range for my 17 mile drive each way. If we have some crazy schedule that will eat too many miles over several days, then I’ll drive my 135i or the Forester. Once the charger shows up, there will be fewer constraints on when and where I can drive in a given 24 hour period and stay neutral.
I was in a similar situation initially (since the Tesla adapter for the 10-30 dryer outlet in my garage was sold out for weeks when I got my car). Yes, you can "survive" on 120V, but it can be a hassle e.g. if you return from a long trip with an almost empty battery (although, today that wouldn't be a huge problem for me either since Tesla has opened a supercharger 5 minutes from my home since :)). Being able to add ~150-200 miles overnight is definitely convenient.

I'd have waited for HW3 to be confirmed for Model 3 production, especially when not ordering FSD. This could be the last HW2.5 car. Could be just until Monday. Could be you will get HW3.

Not clear on this. HW3 is desireable. But ordering non-fsd now might get me stuck with inferior hardware? Or do I have a good chance of getting the upgraded hardware if I’m just lucky?

BTW, why would you want to unlock your car with a smartwatch? It unlocks automatically when you carry your phone, and probably much faster than using the watch (which has to connect to the car through the Internet and wake it up first). Generally, I'd be careful entering my Tesla password in random 3rd party apps. If the password ever leaks or gets hacked, someone can easily steal your car with it.

Thanks again for your input. I’ll carefully research before I install.
I just remembered that I test drove a BMW X3 and looked into keyless entry. There is a huge and sad gap in technology between the traditional manufacturers and Tesla. BMW and Land Rover/Jaguar offer a wrist fob: basically like a fitbit only heavier. So when you go running or surfing or whatever, you get to wear your regular watch and another blank watch on your other wrist (or to look extra cool, you can wear both on the same wrist). Even though Tesla doesn’t offer the Apple Watch version of their app, they at least have api that allows innovators to fill in the gaps.

I don’t even own my Tesla yet, but I hope that I can be an “ambassador” for a brand that needs wider adoption in the midwest.

UTMB

You've done more research than 95% of the community, and are probably best off doing what you're most comfortable with. 100A breaker with 14-50 and UMC is just fine, but a dedicated wall charger is nice just for the convienence.

I personally don't agree to wait for purchase of FSD for hardware upgrades. If you choose to purchase that feature later, they can install any necessary hardware upgrades after the fact.

Buying from the factory online is 100% the way to go. The direct sales model blows away 3rd party or going through a dealership. I have no idea why someone would suggest buying from a local dealer or 3rd party. You can't even buy new Tesla's from a dealer haha. A store will show you cars, but you still have to order online.

Enjoy your car man. You'll love it. Plug it in over night and try to treat it as the gorgeous tool it is. After a few months you'll find a routine and will know what kind of charging requirements you need, but you really don't need to make any exceptions or accommodations unless you're driving more than 50 miles a day routinely.

• Love
I find it odd that people would just tell you to buy online as the de facto standard ....I suppose if money isn't an issue sure...but imho if you can get 3-5K off of MSRP buying from current inventory...I had my salesperson find me a long range AWD car from inventory with 7 miles on it for 7K off...white/awd/long range/AP for 47500...it was 2018 model so has HW 2.5.

Many have gotten blow out deals at end of quarter for 5-10K off if you are patient and work well with a salesperson...I got my deal just a little over a week ago so it wasn't end of quarter blow out deal....but there salesperson has to be diligent to look for you.

With that kind of savings, you could buy 15 power wall chargers...:).

Also when thinking of range with this car you will quickly notice that you will have driven 20 miles but your battery will say you lost 30 miles in range...unless you drive at same speed in perfect conditions you will not get the range you car states.

Not clear on this. HW3 is desireable. But ordering non-fsd now might get me stuck with inferior hardware? Or do I have a good chance of getting the upgraded hardware if I’m just lucky?

So far it seems 3's have been coming out with the old 2.5 AP computer. So it's kind of a crap shoot, since we expect them to start up HW3 any time now. To the extent that you believe the new HW3 computer will perform basic AP better, or provide more features like AP2.5 does (and AP2.0 doesn't) now with dashcam and Sentry, then it would be nice to have HW3. HW3 will always be available if you purchase FSD, but that will cost extra.

It may be as simple as Elon says all Teslas are now leaving the factory with HW3 at the FSD conference tomorrow. And avoiding delivery of any older builds. I don't think it would be a long wait. And you ensure you have the latest hardware.

I don't think it will make any difference with current AP performance, but you never know about the future. My two year old AP2.0 is now out of date and I'm missing out on some non-AP features because of that. I do have FSD on both our cars, so eventually we'll be upgraded and should catch up with the new features.

• Informative
We are about to get another charger installed since we have two Model 3’s. However we will add the second one to the same 60 amp line the first is on and put in the data cable between the two. That will keep them from tripping the breaker. On most days even a fairly depleted car only takes a few hours to charge. With the chargers negotiating with each other we will be able to hook up both cars and they will be charged when we wake up. Adding more panel capacity would involve an upgraded meter and a higher monthly base electric bill.

• Informative
Thanks again for your input. I’ll carefully research before I install.
I just remembered that I test drove a BMW X3 and looked into keyless entry. There is a huge and sad gap in technology between the traditional manufacturers and Tesla. BMW and Land Rover/Jaguar offer a wrist fob: basically like a fitbit only heavier. So when you go running or surfing or whatever, you get to wear your regular watch and another blank watch on your other wrist (or to look extra cool, you can wear both on the same wrist). Even though Tesla doesn’t offer the Apple Watch version of their app, they at least have api that allows innovators to fill in the gaps.
Well, actually BMW had an Apple Watch app three years ago that could (among other things) unlock the car. I believe today this is a standard feature if you have their connected car option. Tesla should really make an official companion app for the Watch. BMW also has another technology feature that I bitterly miss on my Model 3: support for Apple Carplay ...

When I go out to exercise I usually leave my phone in the car (with Bluetooth turned off, otherwise everyone can just open your car) and take one of my keycards. I also have the fob, but prefer the card because it's obviously thin and light.

Last edited:
I wonder if the AW doesn't have the appropriate BTLE hardware yet to function as a key for Auto Unlock.
The Watch definitely supports BTLE (it's what it uses to communicate with the phone, otherwise the tiny battery wouldn't last long). The question is whether Apple grants apps a sufficient level of access to the hardware via their APIs. Hard to tell since we don't know exactly how Tesla's unlock feature is implemented.

• Informative
Reactions: NathanielHrnblwr