Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently the reason for derating the Australian wall connector is that they are following US guidelines until Palo Alto changes the guidelines, and that might happen after verification procedures happen. Verification consists of charging a vehicle at my, and other selected homes together with monitoring equipment which checks the upstream side of various parameters. So, part of the early adopter deal!! This from Mitchell. Happy to accept that for now.

My wall charger was installed on the same day as Dborn's and has 10mm wiring between meter box and Wall Unit (which the installer Isaac said was required for 40A), a 40A breaker, and a 40A Wall Unit, but we are restricted to 32A on the car inverter setting. So the verification (starting this week) will presumably establish whether the grid stability is sufficient to increase the car setting to 40A. As I understand it you can raise the car inverter setting by 1 Amp increments so I wonder if it might end up somewhere between 32 and 40A.

Last edited:
I think we're getting confused by the different limits here.

From my understanding (based on what I know, and what I have been told):

The wall connector has DIP switch settings that simply tells it how much current it should advertise to the connected car. The manual for setting those DIP switch settings suggests to de-rate (e.g.; advertise 32A if your breaker/wiring is 40A, based on the continuous load derating used in several countries). The wall connector does not magically 'know' what your wiring/breaker is set to, and the current limit you are setting via DIP switches is all it can know (and all it advertises to the car). So, imho, that DIP switch setting should be configured according to the electrical codes of your country and quality/type of wiring and breaker used.

The car itself receives the advertisement from the wall connector, and can then draw up-to that current limit. The car should never exceed that limit, but could draw less in several circumstances, including:
a) Internal (in the car) wiring limits
b) Single vs dual chargers
c) The fact that the chargers actually contain multiple mini-chargers connected to each phase line
d) It detects a voltage drop / fluctuations in the power being supplied
e) Charge rate ramp-up at the beginning of the charge
f) Charge rate tapering at high SOCs

The current (sic) wall connectors that Tesla are providing to early adopters are limited to 32A. We are not sure if the limit is coded in firmware (i.e.; it ignores the 40A setting in the DIP switch) or in the car. We do not know if the limit is because of wall connector limits (size of cable to vehicle, etc) or in-car limits (charge connector wiring in the car or arrangements of mini-chargers in the single/dual chargers). Tesla have promised to resolve this before the end of the summer and provide updates to support up to 40A charging for this wall connector (matched to the 40A limit of the Tesla single charger in the car).

Hope the above helps.

I think we're getting confused by the different limits here.

From my understanding (based on what I know, and what I have been told):

The wall connector has DIP switch settings that simply tells it how much current it should advertise to the connected car. The manual for setting those DIP switch settings suggests to de-rate (e.g.; advertise 32A if your breaker/wiring is 40A, based on the continuous load derating used in several countries). The wall connector does not magically 'know' what your wiring/breaker is set to, and the current limit you are setting via DIP switches is all it can know (and all it advertises to the car). So, imho, that DIP switch setting should be configured according to the electrical codes of your country and quality/type of wiring and breaker used.

The car itself receives the advertisement from the wall connector, and can then draw up-to that current limit. The car should never exceed that limit, but could draw less in several circumstances, including:
a) Internal (in the car) wiring limits
b) Single vs dual chargers
c) The fact that the chargers actually contain multiple mini-chargers connected to each phase line
d) It detects a voltage drop / fluctuations in the power being supplied
e) Charge rate ramp-up at the beginning of the charge
f) Charge rate tapering at high SOCs

The current (sic) wall connectors that Tesla are providing to early adopters are limited to 32A. We are not sure if the limit is coded in firmware (i.e.; it ignores the 40A setting in the DIP switch) or in the car. We do not know if the limit is because of wall connector limits (size of cable to vehicle, etc) or in-car limits (charge connector wiring in the car or arrangements of mini-chargers in the single/dual chargers). Tesla have promised to resolve this before the end of the summer and provide updates to support up to 40A charging for this wall connector (matched to the 40A limit of the Tesla single charger in the car).

Hope the above helps.

Thank you Markwj, you are correct. Although we have received no documentation here, the Tesla electrical rep here Mitchell did confirm in an email to me today " it is the wall connector that is restricting us to 32A at this time, there will be a revision to allow 40A charging but we cannot provide an ETA at this time."

So I guess it will be some sort of firmware or even hardware change by Tesla. Sorry for the confusion.

OOBE (Out Of Box Experience)

This arrived today:biggrin:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

No instructions though.

yes, that is the same appearing unit that has been installed at my house. Carton was different though. And yes, no manual. I have a copy of the Hong Kong manual though. If you want it, pm me. Interesting that you are p#26. So they are really ramping up delivery of these to get us ready for delivery!! How did it arrive? Courier, mail or personal delivery?
Ps, please enter your car order details on the confirmed order spreadsheet!

yes, that is the same appearing unit that has been installed at my house. Carton was different though. And yes, no manual. I have a copy of the Hong Kong manual though. If you want it, pm me. Interesting that you are p#26. So they are really ramping up delivery of these to get us ready for delivery!! How did it arrive? Courier, mail or personal delivery?
Ps, please enter your car order details on the confirmed order spreadsheet!
I think I am getting mine earlier as I have volunteered for the Tesla Australian charger development program.
They were keen to include me as I have managed to have a 32 amp supply installed in my parking space of the apartment block shared garage.
I'd be interested in the HK manual so I'll PM you.
It arrived by TNT courier.
I'm line 16 in the spreadsheet.

I think I am getting mine earlier as I have volunteered for the Tesla Australian charger development program.
They were keen to include me as I have managed to have a 32 amp supply installed in my parking space of the apartment block shared garage.

Love the charger look!

Also love the Georg Jensen candle holder :D

I'll just preface this question with, I'm a complete electrical noob, but if we only have a 40A supply single phase do we even need a Tesla Wall Charger or can we just install a 40A socket. And if so has Tesla announced the type of adapter they are shipping to Aus to serve this need?

If you only have a 40A supply then you will really struggle to load balance with the Tesla Wall Unit, as currently maximum draw is 32A as discussed above.

You can limit the draw of the wall unit to a much lower amperage, but may still struggle to balance it all up! Tesla haven't got a mobile connector that you can use just yet, but some of the TMC users are working on a DIY solution.

You could upgrade your mains, but it would be a pretty big job - changing switchboard, new lead in cable from street, power authority dealings blah blah.

I'll just preface this question with, I'm a complete electrical noob, but if we only have a 40A supply single phase do we even need a Tesla Wall Charger or can we just install a 40A socket. And if so has Tesla announced the type of adapter they are shipping to Aus to serve this need?
Not to be rude, but please look back through this thread. All electric cars need an EVSE or electric vehicle supply equipment. Even the mobile charger has the little box on it. For Oz, they are supplying the wall connector (chargers are built into the vehicle). The car has a Mennekes type 2 socket on it. The connector has a Mennekes type plug on it. The wall connector is a fancy switch that only lets power pass after it has shaken hands with the car. It also tells the car how much current it is allowed to draw. At present it is on a 32 amp circuit at my home, but the unit is set to allow a maximum of 16 amps, until some testing is done, when things may change to allow it to be set to 32 amps.
Hope this helps.

What length is the included cable?
It's about 4 - 5 Metres. I had the Wall Charger installed this morning so will let you know the exact length when I get back home.
The charger is a sexy bit of kit so I'm looking forward to the car even more.

- - - Updated - - -

Mitchell from Tesla sent through the HK manual to me - I assume he co-ordinated your installation so you should be able to get a copy from him (or message me if you cant get it).

Finally caught up with the level 2 sparky today at my place. There were a few other things to consider but he's getting me a quote now. The main wiring to the switchboard needed to be upgraded since its a 63A conductor, and alsoI'll need to run a new circuit to the garage with a sub board - this is much cheaper and easier to do than adding a new conduit etc. As it is there are a couple of things that he wants to fix while he's at it.

He's going to quote for the difference in running 3 phase cable vs single so that I can upgrade later if I need to, but at this stage it looks like no drama to run single phase 32A from the charger. Additionally, he has confirmed that it is possible to run it from my controlled load off peak circuit, meaning that I don't have to change to time of day to get cheap charging. It'll just mean that the charger will only be powered up overnight and during off peak times during the day.

I also have my charger at home ready to go - Tesla want to do some testing.

Not to be rude, but please look back through this thread. All electric cars need an EVSE or electric vehicle supply equipment. Even the mobile charger has the little box on it. For Oz, they are supplying the wall connector (chargers are built into the vehicle). The car has a Mennekes type 2 socket on it. The connector has a Mennekes type plug on it. The wall connector is a fancy switch that only lets power pass after it has shaken hands with the car. It also tells the car how much current it is allowed to draw. At present it is on a 32 amp circuit at my home, but the unit is set to allow a maximum of 16 amps, until some testing is done, when things may change to allow it to be set to 32 amps.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Dborn and timpoo, the picture seems to be getting clearer.

We've run a dedicated cable to a new garage that can support up to 40 amps (single phase). It's currently just running a few lights and the roll-up door motors. Next step is to try and brief my electrician on the options for Tesla charging. I have read everything here, but its hard to process when your base knowledge of electrical stuff is schoolboy at best.

So are you saying the Tesla wall connector is a mandatory until a 'mobile' connector is specifically created/shipped for Aus? If so do you know if Tesla are still looking for more Aussie guinea pigs to set one up in their garage, are they providing the wall connector at no cost?

Sorry for all the lame questions.

Thanks Dborn and timpoo, the picture seems to be getting clearer.

We've run a dedicated cable to a new garage that can support up to 40 amps (single phase). It's currently just running a few lights and the roll-up door motors. Next step is to try and brief my electrician on the options for Tesla charging. I have read everything here, but its hard to process when your base knowledge of electrical stuff is schoolboy at best.

So are you saying the Tesla wall connector is a mandatory until a 'mobile' connector is specifically created/shipped for Aus? If so do you know if Tesla are still looking for more Aussie guinea pigs to set one up in their garage, are they providing the wall connector at no cost?

Sorry for all the lame questions.
A 40 amp wall connector comes standard with the car. It is just those customers that they want to do validation with that are getting it early. At this stage your wall connector would be set to 32 amps. See my post above. That is if you have a 40 a mp breaker and 10 mm wire.