Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging setup cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was the final quote. Sounds like it includes the wall connector...bit unclear? Seem semi reasonable? Ended up being 50 feet from the panel.

F68557E9-613A-44EC-B4E6-05001F4FAF52.jpeg

I am doing it myself as we speak and I am in Southern CA. Bought all the parts this weekend. Fortunately, my location is 2' feet away from my main panel. Total cost.

50 AMP breaker: $9.48
4' 6/3 cable: $12.00 ($3 per ft)
4' 3/4" flex conduit: $4.00 ($1 per ft)
3 pack connectors conduit connector: $3.50
Wiring caps: $3.98.
Total: $32.96 + tax

Maybe add $10 for some weather sealant caulk and patching material.

If I was running 100', almost all your cost will be in wiring and conduit. Couple of junction boxes, materials should be about $450.

I am not an electrician but have some electrical/mechanical training and experience. Electrician can charge $60-$100 per hour and I think it'll be a 8 hr day's work for 100', at most. $1,000 is reasonable but $1500 is too much.

This is not legit Romex in conduit for wet conditions ...I assume this is outside as u mentioned weather caulking ...just use thhn

This was the final quote. Sounds like it includes the wall connector...bit unclear? Seem semi reasonable? Ended up being 50 feet from the panel.

View attachment 339004

Cost may be a bit more as I got $500 (labor+materials) to run gauge 6 for 50 feet with 60 amps breaker and Tesla wall connector installation. I have to buy the wall charger from Tesla myself for $530..so in my case $1030 approx. But it is nice to see they offer 4 year warranty, so might be worth it if the difference is not much from local electrician.

I'm looking to set up my home charging with the 14-50 NEMA plug and get the adapter. I was planning on having someone I know put it in for me since they know what they are doing and its a lot cheaper. I wasn't think to much about it but when I was reading something the other day it dawned on me. Technically I need to get a permit I guess to add the plug. What is everyone take on getting the permit? I feel like its a waste since its being installed properly and I can use that money on getting better accessories for my car.