Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charger recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will expand to say that it is not necessary to get a dedicated home charger unless you are doing more than 100miles per day (or 50 miles per day with a tariff where you get a fixed 4 hour window) as you will almost certainly not need the extra speed on a regular basis to justify the £1000 installation cost! That is a lot of supercharging for the occasional time you may need to quickly top up.

I will expand to say that it is not necessary to get a dedicated home charger unless you are doing more than 100miles per day (or 50 miles per day with a tariff where you get a fixed 4 hour window) as you will almost certainly not need the extra speed on a regular basis to justify the £1000 installation cost! That is a lot of supercharging for the occasional time you may need to quickly top up.
Thanks for confirming and this is a very interesting point to consider. I guess daily I might do 80-100 miles on a busy day, the only time I would use a complete charge would be on a long weekend / holiday to Europe or similar.

So basically you're saying just top it up every night, will that top up each night provide 100 miles (looking at the spec its 7 miles per hr, so about 14hr for 100 miles and the cheap tariff is about 5hrs)? Also, will I still be able to use a cheap EV tariff from Octopus if I use the UMC?

Appreciate the advice 👍

Reactions: TechnoWatch
Thanks for confirming and this is a very interesting point to consider. I guess daily I might do 80-100 miles on a busy day, the only time I would use a complete charge would be on a long weekend / holiday to Europe or similar.

So basically you're saying just top it up every night, will that top up each night provide 100 miles (looking at the spec its 7 miles per hr, so about 14hr for 100 miles and the cheap tariff is about 5hrs)? Also, will I still be able to use a cheap EV tariff from Octopus if I use the UMC?

Appreciate the advice 👍
It is closer to 9 miles per hour, assuming you are in the region of 250mh/mile.

I would also recommend you stop thinking in terms of miles per hour when charging and use kw. It makes it easier to calculate in the long run - especially when you are in Europe and working in km :)

Look up the size of your battery and then you can work out the % per hour to be added - e.g. in my MY, it will add 31kwh (or 40%) in 13.9 hours using the UMC. That is 130 miles at quoted range.

Reactions: Shamone

Appreciate the advice 👍
I installed a 16amp commando socket on the circuit in the garage. This can be part of a 'normal' circuit so long as you are sensible (i.e. don't have other high-load equipment on the same circuit). Can be done by a 'competent person'.

16 amp charging (requires a commando adapter for the charging cable) will allow about 22kwh to be provided in the 6 hour cheap rate you get on Intelligent Octopus as standard, which will get you about 80 miles of range. If you need more then Intelligent will also give you a bigger window i.e. more hours at cheap rate.

If you have solar, Myenergi Zappi chargers are tremendous.....and if you do install a charge point, get a tethered one. Maybe doesn't look quite as neat as untethered, but so much less faffing about, especially on a foul evening in February!
I use the UMC like a teathered charger, I have it mounted just inside the garage and have made a small notch to allow the cable to pass through the doorframe and then have a hook outside I can coil the cable onto. So secure to leave outside an a couple of seconds to plug and unplug. Gives around a 3m reach from the garage so do not have to be too accurate parking.

I like that you can press the button on the charger handle to open the charge port... Little things :)

I installed a 16amp commando socket on the circuit in the garage. This can be part of a 'normal' circuit so long as you are sensible (i.e. don't have other high-load equipment on the same circuit). Can be done by a 'competent person'.

16 amp charging (requires a commando adapter for the charging cable) will allow about 22kwh to be provided in the 6 hour cheap rate you get on Intelligent Octopus as standard, which will get you about 80 miles of range. If you need more then Intelligent will also give you a bigger window i.e. more hours at cheap rate.
Thats also interesting, intelligent pricing for my location is...

Unit rate (23:30 - 05:30):

7.50p/ kWh

Unit rate (05:30 - 23:30):

31.21p/ kWh

If you have solar, Myenergi Zappi chargers are tremendous.....and if you do install a charge point, get a tethered one. Maybe doesn't look quite as neat as untethered, but so much less faffing about, especially on a foul evening in February!
I think if I do go that way it will definitely be tethered, currently the Ohme Pro with the 8m tether is looking good.

There's also a whole thread on 32A commando socket, which is also just an adapter for the UMC. Then you'll get the "full" 7kWh available.
I'm not going to advocate or otherwise discuss here, suggest read that other thread! :)
Thanks, will take a look (do you have a link?), some background, my garage conversion has 40A supply and fuse at mini consumer unit, 4 slots, 1 slot is 16A for sockets that in reality pull way less as only a fridge and freezer connected, 2 is 6A for lights which barely get turned on, 3 is 20A aircon which is being removed and 4 is free slot.

Thanks, will take a look (do you have a link?), some background, my garage conversion has 40A supply and fuse at mini consumer unit, 4 slots, 1 slot is 16A for sockets that in reality pull way less as only a fridge and freezer connected, 2 is 6A for lights which barely get turned on, 3 is 20A aircon which is being removed and 4 is free slot.

Reactions: Shamone