Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland Approach Angle / Ground Clearance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

Got a Model 3 Long Range Highland on order, but I am worried it won’t get up or down my driveway.

Here’s a photo of my Model 3 Performance for context:

IMG_1888.jpeg

I noticed that the ground clearance has reduced and front overhang has increased:

Before (Tesla China Link):
Ground clearance: 140mm
Front overhang: 841mm

After:
Ground clearance: 138mm
Front overhang: 868mm

Sadly the M3P is totalled so I can’t really compare it in person anymore, but wondering if someone can help me calculate if it’s gonna bottom out?

Hey,

Got a Model 3 Long Range Highland on order, but I am worried it won’t get up or down my driveway.

View attachment 987510

I noticed that the ground clearance has reduced and front overhang has increased:

After:

Sadly the M3P is totalled so I can’t really compare it in person anymore, but wondering if someone can help me calculate if it’s gonna bottom out?
Are the clearances similar between 2023/2024 standard (non performance) models? Can you “test drive” one to see how it goes?
I was concerned about my driveway, especially with the gutter, but I booked a 1hr test drive with a model 3 to test and it was fine.

it’s going to be hard to tell I guess as according to the reports the steering geometry has changed a bit on the highland cars.
When I was into 4wding I used an online emulator once to work out approach and departure angles. Having trouble finding it now to share with you :(

Hey,

View attachment 987510

After:

So according to this: Approach (Departure) Angle

There is only half a degree angle difference so bumper design etc would probably play more of a role maybe?

Is a 9.5degree angle

After:
is a 9 degree angle

Screenshot 2023-11-04 141341.png

and this is the mathematical way to get a tan without having to go in the sun
Screenshot 2023-11-04 141726.png