Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Amp J1772 or HPWC - Economics vs Standards

If you had to pay for, or had to run the fund raising effort, what would you choose?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hotels need mass quantities of 10 kW EVSEs, not a few 20 kW stations. Install HPWCs even if limited to 40A.

Is my understanding a LEAF can only take up to 6.6 kW on AC so perhaps you should install some "low power" 6 kW J1772's and let Model S's "ICE" the LEAFs by using the J1772's after the HPWCs fill up.

I think an HPWC at 80AMP is the first choice... BUT while you do this, install an 50AMP 14-50 jack. AND you could buy an juicebox for 550$ : Electric Motor Werks, Inc. - CUSTOMIZABLE JuiceBox - a High-Power Level 2 EV Charging Station - 60A / 15kW!
This way, you are wired for 1 Tesla. Then an extra Tesla could charge with it mobile connector AND you could connect the Juicebox and charge any car with J1772 at 10kW. OR directly wire the Juicebox at 60AMP so you can charge any car at 15kW if it available (even the Tesla with the J1772 adaptor).

OR Buy 4 JuiceBox for about the same price and allow 4 car to charge at up to 15kW :)

In term of style, The Tesla HPWC it really nice ! So depending where it going to be installed and visible. It nice to show off a Tesla charging... More than a blue Leaf :)

It up to you in the end !

I think an HPWC at 80AMP is the first choice... BUT while you do this, install an 50AMP 14-50 jack. AND you could buy an juicebox for 550$ : Electric Motor Werks, Inc. - CUSTOMIZABLE JuiceBox - a High-Power Level 2 EV Charging Station - 60A / 15kW!
This way, you are wired for 1 Tesla. Then an extra Tesla could charge with it mobile connector AND you could connect the Juicebox and charge any car with J1772 at 10kW. OR directly wire the Juicebox at 60AMP so you can charge any car at 15kW if it available (even the Tesla with the J1772 adaptor).

OR Buy 4 JuiceBox for about the same price and allow 4 car to charge at up to 15kW :)

In term of style, The Tesla HPWC it really nice ! So depending where it going to be installed and visible. It nice to show off a Tesla charging... More than a blue Leaf :)

It up to you in the end !

JuiceBox is a cheap option but I would wait for the next version they promised will come in a month or 2. (assuming they are on schedule). The current version is not UL compliant, the next one will be.

Is the HPWC UL compliant?

Yes, you can see the UL certification at the bottom. ( sideways :rolleyes:)

UL.jpg