Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help tesla realize their vision - vote for federal ev incentives!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ohhhhh...Canada! Get in the game!

"China announced plans on Friday to build a nationwide charging-station network that will fulfil the power demands of 5 million electric vehicles by 2020."

China to build chargers to power 5 mln electric cars by 2020

1444440804.jpg

China to build chargers to power 5 mln electric cars by ...BEIJING, (Xinhua) -- China announced plans on Friday to build a nationwide charging-station network that will fulfil the power demands of 5 million electric vehicle...

View on www.khmertimeskh.com
Preview by Yahoo

"the fallout from the Volkswagen Defeat Device scam seems to have focussed hearts and minds very quickly, with a new survey – conducted last week – from the Institute of the Motoring Industry (IMI) showing a massive 53 per cent of UK car buyers are now considering buying a hybrid or electric car after the revelations about dirty diesels."

VW Emissions Scandal: HALF of UK car buyers now want an EV or Hybrid

This shows the consumer (at least in the UK) is ready to make the transition to sustainable transport. Feds need to commit to incentives now to maximize conversion rate.

- - - Updated - - -

"The powers that be have failed to solve the climate question. They are neither willing nor able to challenge the dominance of fossil capital and the process of accumulation of capital that drive this economic system as well as global warming. The change has to come in confrontation with their power, from below. Demonstrations and gatherings by activists in the streets are all fine, but not enough. The fight has to involve millions of people in our everyday life."

Can Autoworkers Save the Climate? | The Bullet No. 1172

- - - Updated - - -

"France Expands Electric-Car Bonus To Scrap 10-Year-Old Diesel Cars"

France Expands Electric-Car Bonus To Scrap 10-Year-Old Diesel Cars

- - - Updated - - -

Bill Gates is committed, why isn't Canada?:

"Gates is on a solo global lobbying campaign to press his species to accomplish something on a scale it has never attempted before. He wants human beings to invent their way out of the coming collision with planetary climate change, accelerating a transition to new forms of energy that might normally take a century or more. To head off a rise in average global temperatures of 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels—the goal set by international agreement—Gates believes that by 2050, wealthy nations like China and the United States, the most prodigious belchers of greenhouse gases, must be adding no more carbon to the skies."

An Interview with Bill Gates on the Future of Energy - The Atlantic

- - - Updated - - -

Report Card

"In 2006 the Canadian government committed to reduce national GHG emissions 20% by 2020 and 65-70% by 2050. The government claimed, moreover, that it would use regulations (rather than emissions pricing) to force the shift toward low emission fuels and technologies throughout the Canadian economy.

Since 2006, the government has implemented no regulations that would materially reduce Canadian GHG emissions from what they otherwise would be in 2020. The two regulations it has implemented (coal plant emissions and vehicle efficiency) may slightly slow the growth of emissions after 2020, but they would contribute only marginally to the energy system transformation that must occur by 2050 for the government to keep its promise. Because of nine years of inaction, it may already be extremely costly to achieve the 2050 target.

In climate policy, the Canadian government has done virtually nothing to keep its 2020 and 2050 emission reduction promises. A failing grade is the obvious result."

Rating Canada on Climate for the Year | The Energy Collective

Volkswagen is pegging its fate to a major bet on electric cars

"VW said today (Oct. 13) that it will create a standardized electric architecture that can be used in all VW Group vehicles, and is meant to allow travel of 250 to 500 kilometers (156 to 312 miles) on a single charge. The flagship will be a retooled luxury Phaeton, an $80,000 sedan for which VW had planned only diesel and plug-in hybrid versions for the 2018 or 2019 model years. Now, the Phaeton will be all-electric, the company said, an apparent challenger to the popular Tesla S."

Volkswagen is pegging its fate to a major bet on electric cars - Quartz

While I don't think the topic of this thread can become an issue in the current election (heck, I've already voted!), it did prompt me to email my local candidates. What I did was make some comments about climate change and the economic impact and offer them a ride in my Model S to see what an electric car was actually like. And do a drive by of my rooftop solar panels. I stated that if they were elected, I hoped they would advance the climate change agenda on their own, even if their party didn't.

What I got back was:

NDP: generic message from a campaign worker (I assume - didn't know the name) referring me to some generic web pages.

Liberal: a personal response from the candidate himself stating that he'd like to go for the ride once the election chaos was over with, and that this was something he was personally interested in learning more about.

Conservative: Nothing. Nada. Zip.

Want to guess who got my vote?

Interesting to note that in 2008, the then-unelected Conservative candidate attended my company's open house prior to the election. She asked me what I thought the election issues should be. My response was something along the line of 'energy self-sufficiency and a meaningful and economically-sound plan to address climate change'. I got a deer-in-the-headlights look in return.... clearly she had been coached on how to answer the 'universal child-care' and 'the economy' responses, but this was not something she had any idea about. She won that election and the most recent one as well... but her record shows she still doesn't have answers to those questions.

I have no illusions... no matter who wins on the 19th, it's going to take a grassroots movement to cause the changes the planet needs. 30 million people in the country and riding after riding... this is the best we have to offer?? I guess it's true we get the government we deserve.

What I got back was:

NDP: generic message from a campaign worker (I assume - didn't know the name) referring me to some generic web pages.

Liberal: a personal response from the candidate himself stating that he'd like to go for the ride once the election chaos was over with, and that this was something he was personally interested in learning more about.

Conservative: Nothing. Nada. Zip.

Want to guess who got my vote?

Might I suggest that the topic of this thread has already made an impact in this election?

Hoping for more as well:

To:
[email protected]

FYI...I just sent to Liberal, NDP and Green leaders and local candidates. Bill Gates is worth $80 Billion.

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Cc: Mark Gerretsen <[email protected]>; Ted Hsu <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 10:40 AM
Subject: Bill Gates

This just hit the net an hour ago...Gates committing his fortune to save the planet:

Bill Gates: ‘We Need an Energy Miracle’

facebook.jpg

Bill Gates: ‘We Need an Energy Miracle’“The only reason I’m optimistic about this problem is because of innovation.”

View on www.theatlantic.comPreview by Yahoo

Also, here is my thread lobbying for federal EV incentives lots of good stuff:

Help tesla realize their vision-vote for federal ev incentives! - Page 5

Elon Musk and Bill Gates...I'm not betting against them.

I very much hope Orange, Red and Green will do whatever it takes to rid Ottawa of Mr. Harper.

Elizabeth May willing to mediate coalition to topple Stephen Harper

elizabeth-may.jpg

Elizabeth May willing to mediate coalition to topple Ste...Green Party Leader Elizabeth May says that if Stephen Harper wins a minority government, she is prepared to call the Governor General and ask that she be given time...

View on www.cbc.caPreview by Yahoo

Thank-you,

Marcus Shaver
Kingston, Ontario

Last edited:
This right here...anyone concerned? I'm pretty sure it will affect my vote...please chime in.

"The email suggests Gagnier was “signalling to his friends in ‘Big Oil'” how to get in the good graces of the next government, should it not be Conservative, Angus said.

“It’s a pretty lame excuse when you say anybody could have written this…. No, this was the co-chair of Trudeau’s campaign,” Angus said."

Liberal campaign co-chair steps down after email to people behind Energy East with lobbying advice

1015_elxn_chair.jpg

Liberal campaign co-chair steps down after email to peop...Dan Gagnier advises five TransCanada Corp. officials to target the right people in a new government quickly so they can help shape decisions on an energy strategy

View on news.nationalpost.com
Preview by Yahoo

New York Times Article!

“there have to be incentives,’’ Mr. Lunde said. “It has to be more expensive to pollute than to use environmentally friendly fuels.”

Norway Is a Model for Encouraging Electric Car Sales

16norwaycars-web1-facebookJumbo.jpg

Norway Is a Model for Encouraging Electric Car SalesSkeptics, however, wonder whether the country’s program of government subsidies is cost-effective, or even an efficient way to reduce air pollutants.

View on www.nytimes.com
Preview by Yahoo

Perfection!

I have sent to all left leaning party leaders and my local candidates. I encourage everyone to do the same.

Last edited:
CBC Radio-The Current

"Today we wanted to take a look at the idea of going gas-free.... or very nearly gas-free by 2050 and ask whether it's a realistic goal."

Toyota phasing out gas engines by 2050 not realistic, says critic

toyota-mirai.jpg

Toyota phasing out gas engines by 2050 not realistic, sa...Japanese automaker Toyota has a bold ambition: going gasoline-free... or nearly, by the year 2050 with its engines. Not everyone is convinced this is realistic but ...

View on www.cbc.ca
Preview by Yahoo

Big news day for EV incentives...pretty awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

"Today we wanted to take a look at the idea of going gas-free.... or very nearly gas-free by 2050 and ask whether it's a realistic goal."

2050...LOL! If we all push our government representatives we will be there much sooner!

"Failure to decarbonize would be an environmental and humanitarian tragedy. It would be an economic tragedy, too. That’s a lesson that Stephen Harper will never understand — and it’s why his day has ended."

We can afford to abandon the oil economy. We can’t afford not to.

09749723-200x150.jpg

We can afford to abandon the oil economy. We can’t affor...If polls are wrong, and Stephen Harper’s Conservatives somehow eke out another win, then in just a handful of years pipelines in Canada will extend west, east and s...

View on ipolitics.ca
Preview by Yahoo

"Every automotive crisis is different but if there’s one thing we have learned from past ones is that things do get better."

"Shift to alternative powertrain: Too early to tell if diesel is dead but its future is surely dimming. European carmakers such as VW may have a lot invested in the powertrain but they will have to begin moving toward electric vehicles, hybrids or fuel cells to hedge their bets."

Life after Volkswagen: Big changes coming? | Toronto Star

volkwagen.jpg

Life after Volkswagen: Big changes coming? | Toronto Sta...Business Driver columnist Kumar Saha discusses the state of the auto industry in the wake of the Volkswagen scandal.

View on www.thestar.com
Preview by Yahoo

VW news broke just over 2 weeks ago and it's had a massive impact on the auto industry.
There's just over 2 weeks to election...why can't we have a similar massive impact toward making sure it doesn't happen again?

I personally have sent the above email to most national media outlets, most local media outlets, party leaders, and local candidates. It took some of my time, but it's worth it...
I encourage you to do the same.

2 weeks today.

Are we having an impact? I think so!

Keep emailing politicians, keep emailing media.

This little string could help change the world!

Last edited:
Cost Rica showing leadership:

"Rep. Guerrero used the example of a hybrid or electric vehicle whose value at present is $30,000. Under the proposed legislation, the value of all exemptions that would apply to that vehicle would total $17,000, a savings of 44 percent."

No import tax, no annual ‘Marchamo’ – Bill offers big incentives for electric, hybrid vehicles - Inside Costa Rica

toyota-prius-10-1024x682.jpg
No import tax, no annual ‘Marchamo’ – Bill offers big in...The incentives for the purchase of hybrid and electric vehicles included in the bill are significant, and would likely lead many car buyers to consider such vehicle...

View on insidecostarica.com
Preview by Yahoo

- - - Updated - - -

"The next generation of motorists want to own more electric cars"

The next generation of motorists want to own more electric cars

electric-car-613318.jpg

The next generation of motorists want to own more electr...A SURVEY of teenagers and learner drivers has found that the next generation of motorists see electric vehicles (EVs) as their car of choice by 2026. Their view is ...

View on [url]www.express.co.uk[/URL]
Preview by Yahoo

I fear this initiative won't get any traction before the election...we're just too close to election day, and most policies have been set and locked down.

I think we'll have to wait to start our lobbying in November.

Jaff, I'm hopeful that you will jump in now and engage your local politician.

Finally we've got some Canadian coverage...The Spectator, Eh?:

Norway is a model for encouraging electric car sales

fb_logo.jpg

Norway is a model for encouraging electric car salesBerit Nordgarden and her husband, Eivind Tellefsen, loved their nonpolluting Nissan Leaf electric car. But they found its 135-kilometre battery life too short for w...

View on www.thespec.com
Preview by Yahoo

Incentives...everyone wins!