Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help on order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi,

I’m based in the UK and I've ordered a Tesla Model 3. I was part of the reservation and ordered early May. I ordered a Long Range Version with Full Autopilot and Grey Metallic Paint.

Shortly after I ordered Musk changed the options and the long range is no longer on offer, but my order will be honoured.

If I change the order now to the Model 3 Performance, with Autopilot and Grey Paint it will cost an additional £2.4k.

My question is this... should I order to the Performance version? I’m looking at this purely number wise.. which car will hold value the most and be less impacted by depreciation?

Please help... purchase price is not a concern... it is more on total cost... hence which version will be impacted less by depreciation

for 2400 more?

UM YES

Ok.... so just to come back to this..... what is the difference in acceleration between the Long Range and the Performance Version? The reason I ask is that £2400 difference is purely for that... and not for the performance pack of wheels, trim, brakes etc. So I would be paying £2400 for a little bit of extra acceleration.... or am I wrong?

its more than a little bit of extra acceleration:

2018 Tesla Model 3 Long RangeCompare0-60 mph 4.8 | Quarter mile 13.5
2018 Tesla Model 3 PerformanceCompare0-60 mph 3.2 | Quarter mile 11.

There is a pretty massive difference between 4.8 and 3.2. Saying that, 4.8 is fast. its actually really fast. Its just... 3.2 is as fast as cars way out of this class... like almost supercar fast.

On the depreciation question, no one really knows... BUT... in general, options on cars depreciate to zero, except for one.... the "bigger engine". The larger engine in most cars usually costs more, and is usually worth more when you sell it, unless that engine has been proven to be problematic.

So, while we dont know how depreciation will actually hit these cars (cars are worth what people will pay for them), in general, bigger engined cars (faster) are worth more than a similarly optioned smaller engined car.

Saying all that, I have never understood the thought process of buying a car and worrying about how much I am going to get when I sell it. I dont get the point buying a car by judging which one loses less money. Even if it has low depreciation, if I dont like it, it doesnt matter.

We have a Model 3 SR+ and Performance. There is a very big difference when between them when you put your foot in it. In the real world the SR+ feels fast, faster than any other car you probably have owned because of how it delivers the power. The instant torque from the electric motor is what gets you moving and gives you that shove back in the seat and there is plenty of it in the SR+.

Now the Performance model does the same thing but it makes you laugh out loud at how hard it pulls down low and it does it with no drama. Kind of weird actually. IMO, it doesn't pull as hard at the higher speeds (70-100mph) as ICE cars with comparable horsepower, mainly do to the fact that the ICE cars have transmissions with gearing to help acceleration as speed increases. However, since the Model 3s have no transmission there is no delay and throttle response is instant.

If you enjoy acceleration, spirited driving or plan to take the car to the track then get the Performance model as it has track mode, better tires and larger brake rotors and calipers. If you don't really care then the AWD LR is a good compromise. Still wicked fast at 4.4 sec 0-60 and pulls about the same as the Performance once you get to about 50mph or so.

As for depreciation, no one really knows. There really isn't anything that competes with the M3P at this time but I think once performance EV sport cars/coupes arrive like EV Mustangs, Camaros, etc. it will get more interesting.

Maybe he is talking about a long-range rwd, vs awd???? I don't think you can get the performance version for such a small price difference.
Please post a screenshot so people can offer their best advice.
Obviously resale is far greater for a performance version