Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: Model Y or Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't understand why anyone would go for the MYP in general - the LR still has awesome performance. I can leave most cars in the dust without even trying. to each their own, I guess.
$5k more for quicker acceleration, better brakes, and 5 months earlier estimated delivery. In today's market, if you need the car ASAP the earlier delivery alone is probably worth almost $5k, compared to paying markup for a lightly used car (more expensive than new). At least you're getting some extra features for the $5k.

I had some urgency to my recent car purchase. If I had gone for a Model Y, I probably would've bought the MYP for exactly the reasons above, even though the MYLR has enough performance for me. After driving a few sporty crossovers I've realized they don't really resonate with me, but clearly many people like them, I can't go far without seeing several AMG, M, (R)SQ, Macan, MYP, etc crossovers the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whatstreet
And HUGE positive for the Mach-E is the 360 camera, cross traffic alerts, blind spot monitors.

Telsa's big feature that doesn't exist on the Mach-E is Sentry + Dashcam.

The ultimate EV should have all of the above.
I would agree with this. It would also be great if Tesla would give us Apple Car Play/Android Auto in addition to the above. Luckily for me (or maybe because I was unlucky...), I've never had a car with 360 camera, cross traffic alert, or Car Play, so I can't really miss what I've never had.

Why would anyone who prioritizes family comfort go for a MYP? It's kinda an odd vehicle, IMHO. If you want performance - get a M3P, if you want family comfort - get MYLR on 19" wheels. It's not like Tesla has no options. I agree that the magnetic suspension in Mach-E GT is a significant advantage though.

I can't understand why anyone would go for the MYP in general - the LR still has awesome performance. I can leave most cars in the dust without even trying. to each their own, I guess.
I went for the MYP over the LR because I was seduced by the 3.5s 0-60 time but also wanted/needed the utility of the Y over the 3. To me the increased performance was worth the ~30 miles of range trade-off. I was coming off 2 minivans spanning 13 years and had told myself when I'm done with minivans I'd get a sports car. At this point I can't quite go to a sports car yet, so I convinced myself the MYP was sort of a compromise between a minivan and a sports car. I'm not saying it's rational or anything, but that was my thought process. At least so far no one in my family has complained about harsh ride in the MYP.

I went for the MYP over the LR because I was seduced by the 3.5s 0-60 time but also wanted/needed the utility of the Y over the 3. To me the increased performance was worth the ~30 miles of range trade-off. I was coming off 2 minivans spanning 13 years and had told myself when I'm done with minivans I'd get a sports car. At this point I can't quite go to a sports car yet, so I convinced myself the MYP was sort of a compromise between a minivan and a sports car. I'm not saying it's rational or anything, but that was my thought process. At least so far no one in my family has complained about harsh ride in the MYP.
No doubt you want the utility w/o giving up the dream for an 11 second car. Join the club, that's why I talked the wife out of the LR. The MYP is in the top 3 of the worlds fastest and grippiest SUVs ever made. For us the compromise for the performance was worth it.

I think what alexgr means is that why do those who are serious about family and comfort by a MYP because they cannot accept the compromises you and I had to make to comfort for again, an 11 second car. I agree with alex I don't understand the constant complaints about the discomfort, like ppl expect the MYP to feel like a boat while delivering high 11 second quarter miles with nearly 1G cornering. It's like there's a disconnect happening there or ppl who buy Tesla's are more often delusional and expect the world on a platter.

It's a MYLR with 7 seats BTW. The review shows how kids get into the 3rd row. The 20" inductions are firm but not that bad IMO (I had them). However, EVs like the ID.4 (former owner) are way smoother . I consciously made the trade off but I don't have a family on the back complaining about the rough ride.
I see now, my bad, I thought it is an MYP because of the red calipers. Is it s mod? I have seen several reviews where people compare 20" vs 19" wheels on MY, and the common opinion seems to be that the 19" Gemini wheels give the MY a much smoother ride over the bumps. Funny thing is that my daughter suddenly decided that she prefers to ride in the back of our M3LR because it is more space and comfy for her. I also feel that when I am in a passenger seat, I feel a lot less bumps than when I am driving, it seems to be interesting to see if that is a real psychological phenomenon.

This is an open and generic question directed towards ALL OTHER EV's. How do their built-in Nav systems route them to the 20+ independent charging networks? If you enter a destination what chargers will it select along the route? Do you need a separate account for each of them? Do they display info i.e. dining, bathrooms # of stalls available, site status i.e. INOP for some reason?
First- Love the name, how to watch crappy movies MST2K!!!
TESLA-Plug in destination, and drive
BOLT/LEAF EVERYTHING, OPEN PLUGSHARE,OPEN GOOGLE MAPS, GET OUT CALCULATER, DOWN LOAD ALL 7 CHARGER APPS, look on youtube to learn how to incorporate a sextant and slide rule into route planning, get halfway to destination, go up 4000 mile hill, cause you didn't check elevation in plugshare. arrive at level III charger under (insert name) 37 dg's and raining, get out tap RFID card 20 times, call number, wait 10 min, get a bunch of prompts, individual, can't locate charger after you gave charger number 3 times, after 30 min of shivering, they initiate charge, maybe for free,,,at 50KW.
Otherwise, yea, charging net works are pretty close super charger vs Electrify/charge/EV/Blink/and can't remember the other 2 whose reliability is a elected officials honesty!!!!!

• Funny
Reactions: Corndart
No doubt you want the utility w/o giving up the dream for an 11 second car. Join the club, that's why I talked the wife out of the LR. The MYP is in the top 3 of the worlds fastest and grippiest SUVs ever made. For us the compromise for the performance was worth it.

I think what alexgr means is that why do those who are serious about family and comfort by a MYP because they cannot accept the compromises you and I had to make to comfort for again, an 11 second car. I agree with alex I don't understand the constant complaints about the discomfort, like ppl expect the MYP to feel like a boat while delivering high 11 second quarter miles with nearly 1G cornering. It's like there's a disconnect happening there or ppl who buy Tesla's are more often delusional and expect the world on a platter.
Agree.
I am interesting in technology, functionality, and ride quality for the family. I would be scared of going to a track. I have no idea how to do controlled skid turns, and would never try in my own car. This is why my choice was M3LR on 18" wheels with FSD. We are now on a wait list for a MYLR on 19" Gemini wheels with a hitch as a replacement for our 10-yo 16 mpg SUV. I kind of contemplated to go with MS Plaid, but my boss told me I'm gonna be fired then.

If you get a performance car, a smooth ride can be an extra benefit, not an expected property to complain about lack thereof.

For road trips, a Tesla is hard to beat now. I've done a few and the ease of finding a SC and just plugging in when there is nice. Add the apps on top to distract yourself, and SCing is no longer a chore. I'm sure that one can road trip in a MME, but it's bound to be slightly less pleasant.

Re. MYP, I wouldn't get one since 1) larger wheels are bound to be less comfy and more prone to be destroyed on CA potholes (expensive to repair), 2) the car sits lower and I'd rather have a bit more clearance, 3) I like more range, and 4) I don't need a car any faster than what I got (sub 5sec 0-60 is enough fun). Obviously, different strokes for different folks.

Pretty sure you would have been just as happy with the 4.5 sec 0-60 time of the LR, but these decisions aren't always logical. We still have our Honda Odyssey and it doesn't have the performance of my Y but it's been an awesome car and nothing beats it when it comes to practicality.
For road trips, a Tesla is hard to beat now. I've done a few and the ease of finding a SC and just plugging in when there is nice. Add the apps on top to distract yourself, and SCing is no longer a chore. I'm sure that one can road trip in a MME, but it's bound to be slightly less pleasant.

Re. MYP, I wouldn't get one since 1) larger wheels are bound to be less comfy and more prone to be destroyed on CA potholes (expensive to repair), 2) the car sits lower and I'd rather have a bit more clearance, 3) I like more range, and 4) I don't need a car any faster than what I got (sub 5sec 0-60 is enough fun). Obviously, different strokes for different folks.
Another downside to the performance for someone that lives in MN - it's impossible to find winter tires for it. (not to mention that 6 months out of the year you're more interested in keeping your but warm and not sliding off the road!

Pretty sure you would have been just as happy with the 4.5 sec 0-60 time of the LR, but these decisions aren't always logical. We still have our Honda Odyssey and it doesn't have the performance of my Y but it's been an awesome car and nothing beats it when it comes to practicality.

Another downside to the performance for someone that lives in MN - it's impossible to find winter tires for it. (not to mention that 6 months out of the year you're more interested in keeping your but warm and not sliding off the road!
I agree that if I went with sound logic I would have bought the LR. But like I said I was seduced by the 3.5s acceleration. Also, I tend to go for the top trim level when buying a car (went for Touring Elite on my last 2 Honda Odysseys). BTW, I love minivans. Totally agree on their practicality. Had Tesla made a minivan I'd probably be driving that. LOL!

As for winter tires in MN, while it would have been nice to not have the added expense, I got a 19" winter set and kind of like having two different looks during the year. Then again, I'm the type of guy who buys about 10 sets of straps for every watch I own. 😅

No one asked but I considered these two vehicles and didn’t purchase either. I do own a MX. I find both the Mach-E and especially the model Y to have an awful ride, latter extremely bumpy. Instead I purchased an ID4 AWD which I LOVE. Much better ride, apple carplay, electronic screen on glass roof, more apparent storage space then the Y, nicer looking wheels (20’s) IMO, true blind spot monitoring, forward screen, good looking car. It does 0-60 in 5.4 which is fast enough for us and it handles beautifully, like a tight german car. Real world range has been 260 on average. Last, 3 years free charging with electrify America which has been great and all for 15 to 20k cheaper after tax credit… No brainer to me and I am a Tesla fan….

Ps: the car has been perfect since day 1 … not a QC flaw anywhere …

The problem with the ID.4 has been the battery coolant pump. A good number of owners have needed it flushed for air bubbles or it replaced. I’ve owned the ID.4 and ditched it due to glitches. I’m like those “Model X owners” you hear about constantly having issues but with the ID.4 instead.

I think the Ioniq 5 is a better EV than the ID.4 and probably more reliable too.

The problem with the ID.4 has been the battery coolant pump. A good number of owners have needed it flushed for air bubbles or it replaced. I’ve owned the ID.4 and ditched it due to glitches. I’m like those “Model X owners” you hear about constantly having issues but with the ID.4 instead.

I think the Ioniq 5 is a better EV than the ID.4 and probably more reliable too.
Hmm… we’ll I hope I don’t have that problem… as I said, so far the car had been flawless other than the occasional and momentary glitch in the infotainment system… I agree the initial reviews on the iconiq 5 have been stellar…. But I don’t know if I could live with that grandpa steering wheel, it’s just so damn awful looking…. Also, if you have owned and sold an id4, if you are in the us you must not have had the AWD version since it just came out? A world of performance difference from the RWD….

Hmm… we’ll I hope I don’t have that problem… as I said, so far the car had been flawless other than the occasional and momentary glitch in the infotainment system… I agree the initial reviews on the iconiq 5 have been stellar…. But I don’t know if I could live with that grandpa steering wheel, it’s just so damn awful looking…. Also, if you have owned and sold an id4, if you are in the us you must not have had the AWD version since it just came out? A world of performance difference from the RWD….
I didn’t mind RWD. I owned a Model Y and it was too fast :)

I agree with the harsh ride comment regarding the Y and Mach-E. I also owned both and both have very firm suspensions that are not great for road trips. The Mach-E a tad worse but it handles like the Model 3 so I forgave it because it’s a blast in city.

Anyhow, I traded the Mach-E recently for a RAV4 Prime which has insane acceleration (0 to 60 in 5.5 second) but I got it because I needed gas for longer trips. The EV mode is just like the 3 (lol) other EVs I’ve owned so I’m not missing too much. 42 EV miles and 550 gas miles. I am very surprised at the acceleration, comfort, and quietness. It drives like the ID.4 in EV mode.

I’d don’t miss the ID.4 though. Lane keep system was broken and constant nagging me incorrectly. Wireless charging and scheduled charging never worked. CarPlay would disconnect. Electrical glitches up the wazoo. The turning radius and ride comfort were top notch for EVs.

The hands free BlueCruise of the Mach-e (Standard Range - 230 miles) made me reconsider trading it but then I had to stop an EA location halfway at a Walmart and realized I wasn’t interested owning a non Extended Range EV…. Especially in Florida where EA stations can be 90 miles apart.

I agree with the harsh ride comment regarding the Y and Mach-E. I also owned both and both have very firm suspensions that are not great for road trips. The Mach-E a tad worse but it handles like the Model 3 so I forgave it because it’s a blast in city.

Anyhow, I traded the Mach-E recently for a RAV4 Prime which has insane acceleration (0 to 60 in 5.5 second) but I got it because I needed gas for longer trips. The EV mode is just like the 3 (lol) other EVs I’ve owned so I’m not missing too much. 42 EV miles and 550 gas miles. I am very surprised at the acceleration, comfort, and quietness. It drives like the ID.4 in EV mode.

I’d don’t miss the ID.4 though. Lane keep system was broken and constant nagging me incorrectly. Wireless charging and scheduled charging never worked. CarPlay would disconnect. Electrical glitches up the wazoo. The turning radius and ride comfort were top notch for EVs.

The hands free BlueCruise of the Mach-e (Standard Range - 230 miles) made me reconsider trading it but then I had to stop an EA location halfway at a Walmart and realized I wasn’t interested owning a non Extended Range EV…. Especially in Florida where EA stations can be 90 miles apart.

Do you have a home charger?

We’ll I think from my five weeks I’m getting all the good and so far not experiencing the bad of the ID4… I do think they have significantly upgraded the software on the AWD cars arriving now from what the dealers told me…. I’ll report back over time how it holds up but so far it’s a dream…. Wireless apple car play has been flawless … I have never done scheduled charging and by wireless charging you mean phone charger? They works fine…

We’ll I think from my five weeks I’m getting all the good and so far not experiencing the bad of the ID4… I do think they have significantly upgraded the software on the AWD cars arriving now from what the dealers told me…. I’ll report back over time how it holds up but so far it’s a dream…. Wireless apple car play has been flawless … I have never done scheduled charging and by wireless charging you mean phone charger? They works fine…

If everything worked on the ID.4, I would have been happy with it.

The Model Y except for panel gaps - was flawless in operation. Supercharging worked 100% of the time. Infotainment never glitched and voice commands executed correctly. Range anxiety free driving experience. I will miss Sentry and constant dashcam recording... along with TeslaFi integration and a great Tesla app.

Mach-E was almost similar. The phone as a key + profile system is broken. The rest of the car worked flawlessly and was as high tech as the Model Y. BlueCruise hands-free driving used a face scanner to detect if you were paying attention or not. Now I can't live without a 360 camera, cross traffic alerts, and blind spot monitors (none of which the Model Y had).

While technically the Y has more rear cargo space than the Mach-E and ID.4... the narrow opening and sloped hatch loses some usable space. The Mach-E had a wider opening and I found it easier to fit things in. The Prime is even wider. The ID.4 with the square-ish cargo space (flat top, SUV like rear) was the most practical of the EVs.

If everything worked on the ID.4, I would have been happy with it.

The Model Y except for panel gaps - was flawless in operation. Supercharging worked 100% of the time. Infotainment never glitched and voice commands executed correctly. Range anxiety free driving experience. I will miss Sentry and constant dashcam recording... along with TeslaFi integration and a great Tesla app.

Mach-E was almost similar. The phone as a key + profile system is broken. The rest of the car worked flawlessly and was as high tech as the Model Y. BlueCruise hands-free driving used a face scanner to detect if you were paying attention or not. Now I can't live without a 360 camera, cross traffic alerts, and blind spot monitors (none of which the Model Y had).

While technically the Y has more rear cargo space than the Mach-E and ID.4... the narrow opening and sloped hatch loses some usable space. The Mach-E had a wider opening and I found it easier to fit things in. The Prime is even wider. The ID.4 with the square-ish cargo space (flat top, SUV like rear) was the most practical of the EVs.
Lots of pros and cons… if they all more or less work as intended, I would take ID4 or RAV4Prime … they both drive great unlike ModelY and Mach E which present a thrill for 20 minutes and then like driving on rocks….

Lots of pros and cons… if they all more or less work as intended, I would take ID4 or RAV4Prime … they both drive great unlike ModelY and Mach E which present a thrill for 20 minutes and then like driving on rocks….

The Mach-E is way more fun in city driving. Handles better, faster, nimbler. I call it a hothatch. It feels like it weighs 3000lbs whereas the ID.4 and R4P feel like a normal SUV. Still both the ID.4 and Prime are fun zipping around town… and much better suited for long road trips.