Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight too high?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner of model Y AWD here ( HW3 if it matters). I noticed the cutoff line of the low beam output seems much higher than my other car/SUVs ( mostly Honda with ICE engine). When I follow a small suv at my comfortable distance, the cutoff line used to be one foot below their rear window. But with MY it’s well above their roof(Low beam on, fog light on, high beam off) .

I haven’t got any flashes yet, but hope to know if it’s normal and do most of you manually adjust the angle after the delivery.

Yeah, you shouldn't have to, but that's the reality of it. I did mine against my garage wall to be sure everything was in-line and now when I drive, the beam is that of every other car I've owned with correctly-aimed headlights. If the driver's side seems slightly lower than the passenger side, that is normal and intended for oncoming traffic.

Reactions: range269
Right after I got my Y last year, a lot of folks flashed me for my regular beams. I didn't do anything at first, but later I found out how super easy it was to self adjust. Took about 12 seconds. One of the pluses of a car where everything is connected. No problems after that.

Thank you bike man and Dandi, I clicked open the headlight adjustment button yesterday. It shut off the headlight and asked me to wait 45 seconds, after which the headlight was turned on again and I was allowed to manually adjust them. But I noticed the headlights are already lower than what it was without me changing any settings. Guess that’s the self-adjustment process? I will see how it works out. Thanks again.

range269: If you've never adjust headlights before, be aware that the slightest change at the headlight makes a large change farther out in front of the car.
You might want to google headlight adjustment for guidelines.

range269: If you've never adjust headlights before, be aware that the slightest change at the headlight makes a large change farther out in front of the car.
You might want to google headlight adjustment for guidelines.
Thanks. I haven’t done any manual adjustment yet. So far the adjustment was only done automatically by the car.

I also noticed besides the headlights were too high, at a short distance the driver side headlight was an inch higher than the passenger side straight out of factory. I would expect the opposite….. will see how it performs at night now.

New owner of model Y AWD here ( HW3 if it matters). I noticed the cutoff line of the low beam output seems much higher than my other car/SUVs ( mostly Honda with ICE engine). When I follow a small suv at my comfortable distance, the cutoff line used to be one foot below their rear window. But with MY it’s well above their roof(Low beam on, fog light on, high beam off) .

I haven’t got any flashes yet, but hope to know if it’s normal and do most of you manually adjust the angle after the delivery.
Congratulations on your new ride. Regarding the headlight cutoff line, Tesla's LED headlights are indeed designed differently from many traditional headlights found in ICE vehicles. I adjusted mine manually post-delivery, but it's always recommended to have it done professionally to ensure the optimal angle for both visibility and safety.

When I had an accident that left my headlights misaligned, I used this adjustment option to point them towards the road at a level I thought was good enough.

After the body shop fixed my car they didn't do a good job of levelling my headlights so I went to my friend who owns a shop that does PPF. At that time there's about 7 Ys there - a mix of P and LR. We checked 5 of them as to where the factory settings are set and all 5 are 23 clicks from the topmost setting.

I applied that to my headlights and never had issues since.