Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having second thoughts

What would you do?

• Stick with the MY

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • Switch to the S

Votes: 11 33.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered MY a few months ago and have gotten a call but not the call. Red PUP, no FSD, first EV. Spent the bucks to get the charger installed in my garage already, which was not a small task and am totally sold on Tesla. But...

Two things:
1. I have three kids in car seats. I own diono radians, so they fit three across in my X3 and likely will in MY, too but could be very tight back there...am worried about this

2. Saw a MSM MY the other day in Chicago and felt the look was a little...meh. Just didn't have the impact I think the MY has had in some Tesla press photos, which look amazing. Realize this is personal pref...but at this price, you gotta love the looks.

So, I'm thinking about going for a Model S - more space in the back, and looks I prefer (after chrome delete) and about the same price (if I buy used).

Wonder what you guys think - bad time to buy an S with upgrades/updates on the way? The design is also long in the tooth but can be modified to look sharper... what would you do?

The car seats is just something you'll have to test fit, which yeah it's going to be a pain these days but maybe someone can post some pics of their setup.

Honestly I didn't like the Model 3 when it came out, thought it looked like a frog face. 8 months later I bought one... it'll grow on you like a fungus, maybe not the CyberTruck but that's a different beast.

You'll have to see if the money works out for you properly for the S vs Y. Personally I don't want a full-size sedan and also can't afford an S (new). See if you can do a test drive with the S as they have them on the lots for the most part depending on your location and "phased opening".

If you do test fit the car seats make sure you post on the forum about it for others as I'm sure you're not the only one in this boat.

The MS is much lower (harder ingress/egress, less visibility) which killed it for me. Don't just think about ingress/egress when you feel good on a nice day, what about days when there is snow on the ground, or it's pouring down rain, or your leg or back is hurt. Being low also means headlights are way more in your eyes from both the windows and mirrors.

I found it cramped compared to the M3 in the drivers seat. The MS screen invades knee room and the cup holders aren't in a good spot. The seats also aren't as supportive. After driving the MX, MS, and M3, I ordered the MY.

Undeniable that the Model S has a beautiful visual presence on the the road that is more appealing than a small SUV.

It's hatch back design gives it remarkable utility as well.

Model Y is cheaper, and unfortunately looks it.

Bonus is that the S is a far more comfortable and powerful long distance cruiser, compared to the nimble Model Y.

Understand your dilema. Beautiful S Vs less expensive Y.

Hard decision to make.

I was actually in the market for a S or X when I decided to pull the trigger on a Y (Blue/White PUP). I decided against the S and X because they are dated and 100% bound to be updated soon. Can't justify the price if they are just going to come out with a new design. Maybe you need to revise your order a bit. A fully loaded Y is still hovering around the price of base S and X models. Either way, good luck!

Undeniable that the Model S has a beautiful visual presence on the the road that is more appealing than a small SUV.

It's hatch back design gives it remarkable utility as well.

Model Y is cheaper, and unfortunately looks it.

Bonus is that the S is a far more comfortable and powerful long distance cruiser, compared to the nimble Model Y.

Understand your dilema. Beautiful S Vs less expensive Y.

Hard decision to make.

Looks are subjective. Just watched my wife pull out of the driveway and think the car looks fantastic, not "cheap" nor "cheaper". If you need chrome for something to feel more premium, then that is what it is...

Until they do a refresh of the S, I think anyone who is being honest will believe it feels and handles dated as compared to a 3 or Y... And your ability to resell is going to continue to depreciate and be harder by comparison to a newer model, if that is a consideration. Only you can decide if your subjectives outweigh the substance that the newer model cars are better in every way if you allow them to be...

Good luck in your decision, OP!

SS

Reactions: rxlawdude
S seems to only look dated to those who have owned one for years. For most others, it looks like the Future.

Believe the next update to the S will be with the release of the high performance Plaid Wide Body 3 motor version. Not sure the standard S is due for any newer body panels than that.

Recently the handling and ride have been enhance even further, with the release of the Raven adaptive suspension.

Forum posters have been predicting body panel changes for many many years. Only real changes have been to the front and rear caps.

As a side note, if OP buys a used S, his depreciation will probably be less than buying a new Y. Most Tesla depreciation happens in the first couple years.

As a father of one toddler and another planned I’ve thought about this too. I’m still going to get my Model Y but if you have three kids I think the Model S is a safer choice because it’s wider and will fit three car seats better. Yes, the Model S is lower to the ground which makes getting them in and out that much more difficult but at least they’ll fit which, in your case, is probably the more important factor. Just my two cents.

Reactions: jb401
S seems to only look dated to those who have owned one for years. For most others, it looks like the Future.

Believe the next update to the S will be with the release of the Wide Body Plaid 3 motor version. Not sure the S is due for any newer body panels than that.

Believe the next update to the S will be with the release of the high performance Plaid Wide Body 3 motor version. Not sure the standard S is due for any newer body panels than that.

Recently the handling and ride have been enhance even further, with the release of the Raven adaptive suspension.

Forum posters have been predicting body panel changes for many many years. Only real changes have been to the front and rear caps.

You're placing your own bias into your response, OP said nothing about P, Plaid, or Raven vis-a-vis the S... And, those features are still very much in development, etc. NOT available currently. Not to mention, if/if they do release those updates a more "vanilla" S will not hold as much value going forward. I think this is bad advice.

SS

My Y has been in service and have been driving a loaner S this weekend. I hate the thing. Way too low ride high for me...feels like im driving a boat or some old Lincoln at highway speeds, and the range is abysmal compared to the Y (its an 85 battery). Vertical screen is also annoying after using the Y screen for a few months now.

Unless you can find a used 100D or something I dont think its even close to compare the two.

I found it cramped compared to the M3 in the drivers seat. The MS screen invades knee room and the cup holders aren't in a good spot. The seats also aren't as supportive. After driving the MX, MS, and M3, I ordered the MY.

Coming from a large Audi A7 I thought he MS would be the best first for me. I felt it much more cramped and with leg leg room (I’m tall) compared to my prior A7. The M3 actually has more room than the M3.

What I do miss from the A7 is the (electric) hatchback with a ton of room. I had reservations with the M3 but the truck is actually quite large and I haven’t had an issue getting anything into the M3. Of course the MY fixes all that.

There are arguments for a MY or a M3 (or used MS). Personally I’ve considered getting a MY instead of a second M3, but I’m very likely to be getting a second M3.

That said if I had three kids and am going to be hauling around strollers, baby bags, toys, luggage for 5, etc I would get the MY over that used Model 3 in a heartbeat.