Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone tried to Plasti dip their wooden trim?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if anyone has ever tried to Plasti dip their wooden trim to a different color.
Other than properly masking the surrounding areas, it seems like it shouldn't be too difficult to do.

Compared to other options (removing the trim then painting vs. wrapping), could dipping be a more simple option?
Plus if you get bored of the color, you can peel it off...

Found the pics. It was a local guy who did his.
FB-IMG-1539701211916.jpg

FB-IMG-1539701221281.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: DNAPoPo and plasmo
You definitely want to do it outside the car for tidiness and smell. Popping the wood out seems super easy (compared to Model S, where it was easy but slow work with 5 pieces total). Much easier than masking the interior.

Btw. Top tip: while the panel is off, felt tape every clip and hidden touching surface. In Model S (+some alubutyl on hidden flat surfaces) did wonders to the quality feel of the cabin.

• Informative
Reactions: DNAPoPo
You definitely want to do it outside the car for tidiness and smell. Popping the wood out seems super easy (compared to Model S, where it was easy but slow work with 5 pieces total). Much easier than masking the interior.

Yes, it's either popping it out, or using a bunch of tape & drape.
I saw that video of him popping out the trim, but I heard that it was difficult to put it back on. The video doesn't show him putting it back on...has anyone seen a video of someone popping the trim back in place?

Yes, it's either popping it out, or using a bunch of tape & drape.
I saw that video of him popping out the trim, but I heard that it was difficult to put it back on. The video doesn't show him putting it back on...has anyone seen a video of someone popping the trim back in place?
I noticed on the video, that the panel popped out so that the metal clips stayed in the holes in the dash. They belong to the panel side, as they claw on the plastic ”male” side of the connector with metal spikes. When they are removed like this, the metal claws of the clips are bent and the re-installing becomes difficult and needs force, and actually risks pushing the whole clip through the hole (happened to me and 2 clips were permanently lost within frame of Model S).

You need to take out the clips, straighten the spikes with e.g. a screwdriver and put them on the male side on the dash, and then the dash clips easily right back in.

Model S uses exactly same kind of clips on many of the panels. I just spent 20+ hours going through the interior. It’s not too hard. Just never bend panels/clips, pull directly out.