Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Anyone Else Experienced Widget Issues w/the Latest Tesla App Update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
About a week or so ago I updated the Tesla app on my Android device (Pixel running latest version of Android) and the two older Tesla widgets on my display are now b0rk. The 3rd is a new 2023 Model Y LR that displays properly but the two older Teslas (2016.5 P90D & 2017 P100D, both on MCU1 still and fully updated) both show a red "low battery" icon with no estimated range even though both are pretty full. They also don't display the names or location properly.

Everything else seems to still function properly aside from this current state of the vehicle on the widget for the two older cars. I've never had an issue like this before and I'm not sure how to report such a bug these days. The red battery on both of the widgets is a little unsettling and anxiety inducing every time I see it. It's not mission critical from a functionality standpoint other than not knowing the battery state on those two vehicles at a glance (one of the more important aspects of the widget) but it's rather annoying.

I deleted the widgets and reinstalled them with no change. The next step of self-trouble shooting would be to delete and install the app itself but I'm afraid to do that due some other issues we're trouble shooting w/the Model Y. We've had some early issues with my wife's phone as a key and mine seems to be working flawlessly aside from one small hiccup. If I delete the app I'll have to re-install the PaaK for that vehicle and I'd rather not introduce another variable in what is a more important situation we're currently testing.

Besides, it began the moment I manually updated the app so I'm pretty sure it's an app bug so I'm not very confident that would help anything anyway. I have a feeling it would still be present even if I did delete/install the app again.

Curious if anyone else is seeing this.

Reactions: F100D
Does it look like this?
Screenshot_20230326_161329_One UI Home.jpg

I just saw this in the last week or so. Very disconcerting to not know what it means.

Reactions: F100D
Yes! And it's been driving me insane. I had hoped the latest version from a couple days ago (1667) would finally fix things, but no such luck. The app itself works fine, the widget says it's been refreshing, but only shows default values for everything except the vehicle color. Name defaults to "Tesla", shows as unlocked even if locked, and no display of range, charge state, or anything else. Very, very frustrating.

Not sure if it is relevant or just a coincidence, but when I posted about it on Reddit, the few people who replied with the same issue were all on MCU1 like me. Is your Model S rocking a MCU1 as well?

I'm on Android on a S22 Ultra running all the latest updates, and this only started happening with version 4.19.0-1639.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230403_213339_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20230403_213339_One UI Home.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 178
Same issue with my 2017 S100D (MCU1) and Pixel 6 pro. I tried to open a service request and they looked at me like I was crazy. The 21 MY is working fine.
2017 S100D MCU1 here too, with HW3

I assumed opening a service request would be a bust, and sadly, the listed email address for "developer contact" in the play store is plain old [email protected], which won't help much. I'm not quite sure how to get more visibility on this. Twitter? The app is pretty damn crippled for me without the use of the widget on my home screen...

Reactions: z0lt3c
I would say that it's important that y'all who are having this issue open a ticket from the app. I just went with "Other" and then explained the issue and even attached a screen shot showing the issue.

I'm now in talks w/Tesla Techs who are trying to address it and they not only seem interested in actually helping but found it odd that my ticket seemed to be the only one they had received. I explained that I saw others on forums talking about experiencing it so I know they're out there and they said "that very may well be but we have no other examples with data to help track this down"

If you're reading this and are experiencing this same issue please just take the 3-5min it takes to submit a ticket. They will ask for your phone make, model and firmware. I think they more of this info they have the more it will help them to track down and fix this issue.

So far, it seems like the data would indicate it's MCU1 cars primarily (only?) and possibly also Android devices. Do iPhones even have widgets like this yet? I know the last time I had one for work that was one of the big differences that drove me nuts. They may now as that's been a number of years or it may explain why I haven't seen anyone with an iPhone mention this issue if they still don't have widget support (lame!).

Reactions: F100D and z0lt3c
Yes, iOS also has the Tesla app widgets now, and as a matter of fact, it seems that they broke several times in the past as well, from my searches for people with similar issues...

Ok, I will put a support ticket in and see what happens. In the past, I have had good luck with linking Support to TMC forum threads to provide more info/context while troubleshooting a problem!

Reactions: Ostrichsak
I would say that it's important that y'all who are having this issue open a ticket from the app. I just went with "Other" and then explained the issue and even attached a screen shot showing the issue.

I'm now in talks w/Tesla Techs who are trying to address it and they not only seem interested in actually helping but found it odd that my ticket seemed to be the only one they had received. I explained that I saw others on forums talking about experiencing it so I know they're out there and they said "that very may well be but we have no other examples with data to help track this down"

If you're reading this and are experiencing this same issue please just take the 3-5min it takes to submit a ticket. They will ask for your phone make, model and firmware. I think they more of this info they have the more it will help them to track down and fix this issue.

So far, it seems like the data would indicate it's MCU1 cars primarily (only?) and possibly also Android devices. Do iPhones even have widgets like this yet? I know the last time I had one for work that was one of the big differences that drove me nuts. They may now as that's been a number of years or it may explain why I haven't seen anyone with an iPhone mention this issue if they still don't have widget support (lame!).
Looks like I can't open another support ticket in-app since I already have a scheduled service center visit there. Guess I'll either have to wait until the 11th or email customer support, which might take even longer in the end. Hope they magically fix the issue in the meantime... Until then, keep up the good fight on my behalf! :p

Reactions: Ostrichsak
Yes! And it's been driving me insane. I had hoped the latest version from a couple days ago (1667) would finally fix things, but no such luck. The app itself works fine, the widget says it's been refreshing, but only shows default values for everything except the vehicle color. Name defaults to "Tesla", shows as unlocked even if locked, and no display of range, charge state, or anything else. Very, very frustrating.

Not sure if it is relevant or just a coincidence, but when I posted about it on Reddit, the few people who replied with the same issue were all on MCU1 like me. Is your Model S rocking a MCU1 as well?

I'm on Android on a S22 Ultra running all the latest updates, and this only started happening with version 4.19.0-1639.
Model S 2105 85 on MCU1. I'm on Android Galaxy Fold 4. Still seeing low battery warning.

Update from my service ticket: The software team as positively identified the root issue with the mobile app causing the widget issue and are currently developing a fix that will be released in a future app update. No exact timeline but they're thinking sooner than later.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to submit a ticket. It seems as though the additional support gave us a squeakier wheel and allowed for a quicker diagnosis and (hopefully) fix.

Update from my service ticket: The software team as positively identified the root issue with the mobile app causing the widget issue and are currently developing a fix that will be released in a future app update. No exact timeline but they're thinking sooner than later.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to submit a ticket. It seems as though the additional support gave us a squeakier wheel and allowed for a quicker diagnosis and (hopefully) fix.
That's great news, go team! Fingers crossed. Thanks everyone!

Interestingly enough, I was sitting in my S yesterday and soft-rebooted the MCU by holding both scroll wheels down. I refreshed the widget repeatedly tapping the lower right corner, and as soon as the MCU was offline, the widget showed the correct info. Then, when the MCU was back on, the widget went back to being broken. I wonder if that was a fluke or if all of you can repeat that behavior... At any rate, waiting for a fix with impatience :)