Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard Wire an extention cord

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to hard ware an extension cord the tesla 110/120V adaptor. I cut the end off the adaptor. There are 7 wires in there. 3 main voltage Green, Blue, Brown. Then there are 4 very small wires White, orange, blue and purple. I assume these are sensor wires to tell the tesla it's 110/120v not 220/240. Does anyone know where the connect to?

• Disagree
Reactions: zroger73
Extension cords are not recommended, mostly because the wires are too small, typically like 12/3 (#12 AWG)
so about 15Amp max and 12Amp nomial. Under 120V and 12Amp you get 1.44 kW, this will be very slow charging.

Under 240V, it is recommended to use a NEMA 6/50 without Neutral to save cost over a NEMA 14/50, and depending of the length,
you should use at least a #8 AWG if you want 30Amp or 24Amp nominal, to get 5kWh charging.

My recommendation would be to installed a new plug to attach the mobile charger near your car to avoid using an extension cord.
The mobile charger should be then long enough to reach your car plug.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
Extension cords are not recommended, mostly because the wires are too small, typically like 12/3 (#12 AWG)
so about 15Amp max and 12Amp nominal.
Equally, if not more of a concern, is that there is no temperature sensor in the plug end of an extension cord or the receptacle that it is plugged in to, so if either of those overheat, the Mobile Connector won't have any way of knowing.

Even if you use a grossly-oversized, high-quality extension cord and there is a loose wire or other fault in the receptacle causing it overheat, the Mobile Connector wouldn't know it was overheating, melting, or burning.

If the Mobile Connector was plugged directly into a faulty receptacle that overheated, the heat would conduct into the prongs of the MC's plug where the temperature sensor could reduce charging current and hopefully save the day.

I assume these are sensor wires to tell the tesla it's 110/120v not 220/240. Does anyone know where the connect to?
Those are the signal wires that communicate the appropriate amperage to the mobile connector as well as a temperature sensor in the plug head to prevent overheating.

The mobile connector won’t work without them and you’ve just hacked it to bits so you’ll need to buy a new adapter.

You should also abandon the idea of a hard wired extension cord entirely.