Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy Birthday AP 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lunitiks

Cool James & Black Teacher
Nov 19, 2016
Prawn Island, VC
And now for something completely different
The guy knows how to hold a crowd...

I remember the big news took me by surprise:
Elon's tweets were like fuel on fire:
Here's transcript from some of the Level 5 stuff he told us:
Elon Musk: The basic news is that all Tesla vehicles exiting the factory have the hardware necessary for Level 5 Autonomy. So that’s in terms of the cameras, the compute power. It’s every car we make on the order 2,000 cars a week are shipping now with Level 5, meaning hardware capable of full self-driving for driverless capability.

So it’ll take us some time, you know, into the future to complete validation of the software and to get through required regulatory approval, but the important thing is that the foundation is laid for the cars to be fully autonomous at a safety level we believe to be at least twice that of a person, maybe better.

So I think that it’s probably unexpected by most that it’s happening right now. So yeah, we are pretty excited about that, that’s also essentially part 2 of the Model 3 announcement which is that Model 3 will also have hardware necessary for full autonomy, in fact all cars Tesla makes from here on out will have the hardware needed to be fully autonomous or driverless. That’s where things are.

This is all Tesla Vision, this software, so we are not using any third-party software or anything for for the vision processing, this is a Tesla developed neural-net, and yeah, although it’s somewhat hardware independent, we could potentially run this on Nvidia, AMD or Intel. We did pick in the Nvidia Titan GPU as the main chip for the neural-net, it was a pretty tight call between particularly AMD & Nvidia, but ultimately we thought Nvidia had the better hardware.

That’s I think pretty huge news, and with that we can go into questions.

(…)

Q: Are you talking about the new Hardware 2.0 being Level 4 or Level 5 and just to be clear on Hardware 1.0 is there going to be any disabling of that technology at this point or is it just continuing it to run?

Elon Musk: It will be... The Hardware 2.0 is capable of Level 5 autonomy. The hardware is capable of highest level of autonomy. And Hardware 1 I think will continue to improve as we improve the software that operates the car. I mean, already with 7.0 it was unequivocally safer than manually driven cars, and with 8.0 that has improved even more. So it would obviously be crazy to turn-off something that is preventing accidents.

AP2.0 was the reason I became a memeber of TMC, and it's the reason I'm still wasting time here. It truly made a big impact on me. Now - a year later - where are we? What's happened?

Well it's been a ride, and what a ride it's been. Here's a few highlights:
In three days, the Earth will have have completed one orbital period around the Sun since AP 2.0 was announced.

What do you think?

Happy birthday AP2!

canusee.png

Tesla-enhanced-autopilot-upgrade.jpg

Tesla-full-self-driving-capability-upgrade.jpg

I want my money back. I don't see how anyone can make a straight-faced claim that this wasn't fraud, pure and simple. I wouldn't have bought this car if I had known it was a giant lie.

For over $100k I got defrauded and on top of that the service and build quality are garbage. Insult to financial injury. Exec escalation is a joke. Salespeople lie. Service department lie. It's ****ing policy.

@JonMc Boooo.

What do you think?

Ahh, yeah I remember hearing about it and how exiting it was. I'm still really excited. I recently upgraded my AP1 car to AP2, which was no small hit to the pocketbook (first year depreciation is a bitch). Definitely surprised that it's taken them as long as it has to field a substitute for AP1 (weak as it is today). I can only imagine that they're being a lot more careful now than they were a couple of years ago given how some things have worked out.

Still, I bought my ticket and I plan to fully enjoy the ride no matter where it goes. I never expected FSD to arrive in 2017 and I'm not expecting it in 2018 either, but I'll be pretty surprised if 2020 comes and goes and we still don't have anything that can reasonably use that label. To me this thing is like watching a kid grow up - when they're little is the most fun part.

Ahh, yeah I remember hearing about it and how exiting it was. I'm still really excited. I recently upgraded my AP1 car to AP2, which was no small hit to the pocketbook (first year depreciation is a bitch). Definitely surprised that it's taken them as long as it has to field a substitute for AP1 (weak as it is today). I can only imagine that they're being a lot more careful now than they were a couple of years ago given how some things have worked out.

Still, I bought my ticket and I plan to fully enjoy the ride no matter where it goes. I never expected FSD to arrive in 2017 and I'm not expecting it in 2018 either, but I'll be pretty surprised if 2020 comes and goes and we still don't have anything that can reasonably use that label. To me this thing is like watching a kid grow up - when they're little is the most fun part.
I love watching my kids grow up. Sometimes I wanted the time to freeze so they stay little longer, or sometimes I wanted the time to go back a little further watching them grow again.

Wait... does that sound familiar? Tesla is doing exactly that!

Only thing you left out was a promise for a cross country demo of FSD.

I'm not mad I ordered my AP2.0 car on Oct 19th 2016 - right after the announcement. I love my Mosel S. I'm mostly mad that Tesla hasn't changed their messaging and continues to sell a huge set of features that are simply non-existent.

I can't believe they're taking people's money for FSD.

I'd settle for AP1.0 parity at this point and then, and only then, maybe I wouldn't be so butt hurt they doubled the price of autopilot on me for no good reason.

I, for one, am so happy with my car, each day driving the car is one heck of an experience. I spent the last weekend driving an AP2 model x 75d and was so blown away by the sheer awesomeness of the car, that I almost thought about buying another tesla. I'm liking that the pace of firmware updates is picking up. Overall, Tesla is fantastic.

I'm more obsessed with the car than anything else.

It is still, BY FAR, the absolute best car on the road. period!

That being said, folks on the thread, especially owners should know that it just takes one rude or imperfect service experience to sour opinions. There are going to be shortfalls that certainly build up and cause massive amounts of frustration for everyone.

If the tingly feeling in my loins is correct, we are due for a big announcement soon with autopilot 2. And to be honest, I think the rain sensing wipers and the car detection in various lanes is going to be the thing that gets this party started. Stay tuned.

I said in the past that if my car isn't substantially further along, I'd worry. That's not going to happen though. Tesla has way too many smart guys working for them.

All the other auto manufacturers compared to Tesla are still a joke, watching people on the forum get excited about them is a little bit too much like watching an audi fan wait to have something comparable that he can buy from audi.... but the reality is that unless they are going to be close. Not gonna happen. Sure you can pull off a super lux ICE car like the S class, but until you slap an electric drivetrain in the car, it's going to be inferior... The autopilot updates are Tesla owners are just anxious and pissed about the pace of improvements. Get a grip everyone, you are still the superbowl champs, and you just need a few wins and happy days are here again.

I'd settle for AP1.0 parity at this point and then, and only then, maybe I wouldn't be so butt hurt they doubled the price of autopilot on me for no good reason.
You shall receive all of this an more soon, then, you'll be glad you didn't settle for AP1.0 .... give it a year max. Tasty treats are coming. I think a new processor will get fitted for Ap2.0, but then the debate will be about how much better it is to not have the nanny cam in AP2.5... If they start doing video occupancy checks that will prevent you from having too much fun with your many admirers if you know what I mean.

I, for one, think they've made great progress having to work from the ground up to recreate the functionality that MobilEye spent many years creating.
Sure, it was later than estimated, but still many times faster than MobilEye and even faster than AP1 (from the time hardware was in the vehicles until functionality was enabled.) Even then, AP 1 wasn't fabulous from the start, there were some growing pains there too but everyone seems to forget about that. It took a while before AP 1 was as good as it is now and people somehow expected AP2 to do this practically overnight. o_O

Anyone who follows Tesla knows there wasn't even going to be a real cross country FSD demo until the end of this year. It may very well be the first half of next year, but still, they've had some great measurable progress.

That said, I'd like to see some more demos of FSD in precarious situations like some of the competitors have shown.

Let me make a suggestion... for the cross country demo, Route 66. Go through small towns, stop lights, etc. Don't do a large freeway like I-80 because that's cheating... ;)