Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansjörg von Gemmingen Roadster pack out of juice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want a free Model S!

Seriously, I get really annoyed with this kind of blackmail scenario (let's call it what it is) ... either give me what I want or I'm going to the press. If he'd been reasonable, it looks like he could have gotten a great deal on a refurbished battery. If he'd tried every avenue for resolution (let Tesla look at the battery, get the logs looked at, consider the refurbed battery), then going to the press still would be an option.

Really??? He asked for a FREE Model S?

Yeah, it really feels like a blackmail scenario for me, too. And I hope it won't work. Now there is this article in the German newspaper and we all know the press. Once it is out in the wild it will easily get picked up by other press.

The tactic never works in any case.

Exactly. I have been on the receiving end of such tactics, and they do NOT work. I don't like bullies. You make threats and any compromise that might have been under consideration is gone, period.

In my experience, following through on the threat to go public usually backfires. It's hard not to be amused when they get flamed.

However, this guy actually doing what he has probably done (i.e. a lot of range cahrging on an aging battery) does prove in feal life that it's very detrimental to the battery. And it also puts focus on the fact that Tesla need to come out with some clear guidelines as to how much/often you are advised to range charge the Model S (also supercharging, all though this seems to be less of an issue than previously thought, at least with the 85kWh battery).

If you want to drive exactly 145 miles per day, every day for 1035 days, you will hit 150,000 miles ( 241,400 km ).

If the battery degrades linearly to 70% original capacity by the 100,000 mile mark, your max range will hit 189 miles after 488 days and 71920 miles.
189 miles max range mode will be 145 miles in standard mode ( assuming standard charges to 87% of range mode, and hides the bottom 10% ).
If you aren't comfortable in standard mode, and start charging in range mode at that point, that means that for the next 547 days you will charge in range mode, which is a lot.
If you wait until standard mode ( including the hidden 10% ) is 145 miles, that would be at max range of 167 miles - which would happen at 697 days and 101065 miles. That means for the next 338 days you will charge in range mode every day.

At 905 days and 131225 miles your max range will drop to 145 miles and you will no longer be able to drive 145 miles on one charge. However I bet that charging every day in range mode after 100,000 miles will make the range drop faster than it was for the first 100,000.

No kidding...Hansjörg should realize that he's not helping his case by refusing the Tesla tech's request to inspect the car and logs thoroughly, and attempt a rebalance...hard to feel sympathetic for him when he won't cooperate...

It also seems extremely likely that as the range dropped he started doing range mode charges more frequently, probably exclusively.
I would not be suprised if in the last year every day was a range mode charge. That has to accelerate the battery degradation.

I plan on taking 10+ years to hit 150,000 miles, and I won't need to range mode charge more than 5-10 times per year until my range is under 100 miles.

I would really really like to have a set of logfiles from this car.

Our 436 HP corvette easily averages 20 mpg. At a steady 80 mph the engine is loafing at 1400 rpm, and you can get 27 mpg with the A/C on.

GSP

GSP
Sadly, you are taking the best case scenario for the vette. One can play with numbers and come up with anything that suits their case.

I will give you my scenario with a performance ICE car, driven like most would drive it. Has ~600rwhp, gets around 14-16mpg at best (babied), and about 23-24 on the highway also babied. At the track, that changes to 1-2mpg, and if you drive it to have fun(who wouldn't if you have the power). It gets between 3-8mpg. Granted, this car is quite a bit quicker/faster than the roadster, but it also gets better mpg than most in that power range(great tune). Now get this, if I drive the car daily(it's very docile at idle and cruising it if you dont step on it), I get to put about $50-70 in gasoline in it every 2-3 days(takes all of the fun out of it). A roadster doing the same duty would cost me less than $50 a month(electricity here is around 6 cents per kwh). That is a huge difference in fueling costs.

Exactly. I have been on the receiving end of such tactics, and they do NOT work. I don't like bullies. You make threats and any compromise that might have been under consideration is gone, period.

In my experience, following through on the threat to go public usually backfires. It's hard not to be amused when they get flamed.

With all due respect, while I agree that blackmailing should not work and do not like bullies too... Unfortunately sometimes blackmailing works not in favor of the company that received the threat.

There was that Canadian guy on American airliner. He got pissed of for whatever reason, threaten company that he will post something on Youtube, if his demands will not be met. His threat was not taken seriously...

After press gave canuck lots of attention and his view count hit multiple millions, United Airlines tried to play it back. They offered to meet all demands of the guy plus give him extra compensation.

It was too late.

You can Google "united breaks guitars".

Hansjörg wrote a comment on the German Facebook Tesla Owner Group saying essentially that he is very disappointed of Tesla. Elon personally refused his request to either replace his battery or give him a Model S for free, because of all the advocacy his done in the past for Tesla. It seems like he is not so positive about Tesla anymore and this article looks like it is a result of this dispute.

It also seems that he has refused the offer by the German Tesla team to rebalance his batteries nor to get a heavily discounted refurbished battery replacement.

Personally I don't want to think about the time when I have to replace my batteries for my roadster, but I don't think this is the right way to do it.
I would be thrilled to get 150k miles out of a first gen roadster battery that uses off-the shelf laptop cells. The battery warranty was only 3years or 36k for most roadsters. I really dont understand the entitlement attitude of these guys that have a bad battery and want a free one, let alone a free car. Pretty sad really.

But you fail to take into account that not only gasoline and diesel is far more expensive here, but electricity as well.
You don't save that much.

Very simple math for the Model S (for my driving habits) would be:

ICE: 6.5 liter (diesel per 100km) at 1.5 Euro (per liter) times 10k (km a year) equates to 975 Euro in fuel
Model S: 85 kWh (per 425 km / 265 miles) at 0.25 Euro (per kWh) times 10k (km a year) equates to 500 Euro in electricity *

That means at current prices I would save 475 Euro per year. Say I drive my Model S 15 years on its first battery I would save 7.125 Euro in fuel over that amount of time.
I don't think that would cover the price of a new 85 kWh battery, even in fifteen years.

*and that is assuming the battery wouldn't degrade at all over 15 years, every charge would be from zero to full capacity, and every charge would get me the full 265 miles. Being realistic would mean adding at least 10 percent to the electricity costs which in turn would minimize the money saved even further.

As someone once said: "don't buy an EV thinking you could save money in any way".
A US example, 150,000 miles with a 20mpg vehicle uses 7,500 gallons, at $4 per gallon that's $30,000, with a 15mpg vehicle it's 10,000 gallons and $40,000. At $5 per gallon it's $37,500 and $50,000. In comparison an 85kWh pack at 265 miles per charge for 150,000 miles is 48,113kWh's, at 11 cents per kWh equals $5,292, if you have a reduced night rate it would be even less. Depending on the individual parameters an EV may indeed save you money.

- - - Updated - - -

Now wanting Tesla to announce a Model S LiNiCoAlO2 cell battery upgrade for the Roadster.
Absolutely. Headline: "Used Roadsters Get Better Than New Range and Performance With New Pack, EV's Get Better With Age".
Elon Musk announces new battery upgrade for existing Tesla Roadsters, providing longer range than original, better performance, and an extended pack life with the new battery chemistry. Replacement costs are also lower reflecting the lower amounts of Cobalt in the new cells, continued production optimization and increased production volumes.*

*The above quote is not yet a reality but was pulled from the future, or my imagination. :wink: Apologies to anyone who got their hopes up for a minute.

Model S battery chemistry was changed.

It is LiNiCoAlO2 cathode in Model S, while Roadster was using LiCoO2 cathode. Probably there have been changes made to electrolyte too.

So yeah, Model S battery is different.

Edit: Researching the matter, LiNiCoAlO2 do generally have a longer lifespan in comparison with LiCoO2. Types of Lithium-ion Batteries – Battery University

Do you or does someone here know for a fact that the Model S battery is LiNiCoAlO2? I called Tesla and the person I spoke with did not know what the battery chemistry of the Model S was - despite doing a lot of searching in their knowledge base while I waited on the phone. The only thing I've found is that Model S has "Lithium ion" batteries.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Slow down there. There's no free lunch. The money saved over buying fuel effectively covers the battery replacement (and in Europe I'm sure he saved more than e30k based on their fuel costs). Model S is at price parity w/ its competitors (based on performance, not necessarily features like ACC, etc) so there is no "EV Premium". You should then save the money you didn't spend on fuel to pay for an eventual battery replacement. I always frame it that way when I talk to people about EV's.

Saving money not spent on fuel to pay for an eventual battery replacement is a good way to think about it. But it doesn't seem that I would be saving any money driving an EV over an ICE vehicle. The Model S is just way too expensive. I guess if you compare Model S to a used Bentley or Porche Panamera, etc or other $100k car, then I guess I might come out ahead financially with the Model S (someone please confirm this with actual numbers if possible).

But mostly, I'm getting the Model S b/c 1) I don't like to waste my time having to go to the gas station 2) don't want to pollute environment driving an ICE vehicle and 3) want to be free from the whims of OPEC - not b/c I expect to "save money". If I wanted to save money, I'd buy a cheaper, efficient car such as a Volt.

I want a free Model S!

Seriously, I get really annoyed with this kind of blackmail scenario (let's call it what it is) ... either give me what I want or I'm going to the press. If he'd been reasonable, it looks like he could have gotten a great deal on a refurbished battery. If he'd tried every avenue for resolution (let Tesla look at the battery, get the logs looked at, consider the refurbed battery), then going to the press still would be an option.

Really??? He asked for a FREE Model S?

100 % agreed, and I want to add there are more German Tesla drivers which don't agree with him and they all have driven lots of km e.g.

Talkredius : 121.000 km
Eberhard : 111.000 km
UdoW : 95.000 km
Tron : 75.000 km

He also mentioned that he was asking many hotels for charging possibilities , never heart of that (outside of Facebook, because I'm not a FB member) but others do like Tron, Eberhard, me and many others. And we publish these in our German Forum and the European website for charging stations LEMnet - Internationales Verzeichnis der Stromtankstellen so that other EV drivers can use them.

With all due respect, while I agree that blackmailing should not work and do not like bullies too... Unfortunately sometimes blackmailing works not in favor of the company that received the threat.

There was that Canadian guy on American airliner. He got pissed of for whatever reason, threaten company that he will post something on Youtube, if his demands will not be met. His threat was not taken seriously...

After press gave canuck lots of attention and his view count hit multiple millions, United Airlines tried to play it back. They offered to meet all demands of the guy plus give him extra compensation.

It was too late.

You can Google "united breaks guitars".

Not sure that he blackmailed them. The story is he tried for a year to get them to fix the guitar they broke. They refused. He went YouTube on them. Then, they tried to settle.

This (and the 40k bricking story) seem very different.

But you fail to take into account that not only gasoline and diesel is far more expensive here, but electricity as well.
You don't save that much.

Very simple math for the Model S (for my driving habits) would be:

ICE: 6.5 liter (diesel per 100km) at 1.5 Euro (per liter) times 10k (km a year) equates to 975 Euro in fuel
Model S: 85 kWh (per 425 km / 265 miles) at 0.25 Euro (per kWh) times 10k (km a year) equates to 500 Euro in electricity *

That means at current prices I would save 475 Euro per year. Say I drive my Model S 15 years on its first battery I would save 7.125 Euro in fuel over that amount of time.
I don't think that would cover the price of a new 85 kWh battery, even in fifteen years.

*and that is assuming the battery wouldn't degrade at all over 15 years, every charge would be from zero to full capacity, and every charge would get me the full 265 miles. Being realistic would mean adding at least 10 percent to the electricity costs which in turn would minimize the money saved even further.

As someone once said: "don't buy an EV thinking you could save money in any way".

in general you are right if we are looking at the costs right now but :

- I don't know any one who he is driving an ICE comparable with the Model S at 6,5 l /100 km over the Autobahn, should be more like 9... 10 l / km :wink:
- higher prices for electricity isn't an issue for me, it will only encourage me harder to put solar panel on my roof and put a battery to store this energy into my cellar
juwi, a company which is building huge solar plants is already addressing this and offers batteries for home use Solarspeicher, Batteriesystem, Batteriespeicher, Smart-Meter - juwi Home Power© (sorry, only in German available)

- the maintenance cost of the Roadster are 1/2 of my VW Passat, also the Roadster is a handmade sports car. based on 60.000 km p.a.

Do you or does someone here know for a fact that the Model S battery is LiNiCoAlO2? I called Tesla and the person I spoke with did not know what the battery chemistry of the Model S was - despite doing a lot of searching in their knowledge base while I waited on the phone. The only thing I've found is that Model S has "Lithium ion" batteries.
Yes, that was confirmed in multiple articles, like:
Motor Trend,
Musk interview
etc.

But TM do not advertise, nor promise that they will continue to use LiNiCoAlO2 cathodes. Moreover, TM position is that they have multiple battery cells suppliers, with only some (Panasonic) being publicized to date.

So de facto, LiNiCoAlO2 would be there. But if something will happens to Panasonic or if cheaper chemistry will become available they could switch anytime.

Not sure that he blackmailed them. The story is he tried for a year to get them to fix the guitar they broke. They refused. He went YouTube on them. Then, they tried to settle.

This (and the 40k bricking story) seem very different.

Guitar neck got broken. Have he used proper guitar case? Apparently not. Have he clearly market his bag as "fragile"? Have he got insurance for it? If he would have done any above mentioned things, there would be no story.

But he got pissed, started demanding money, threaten company that he go social media way... If he actually had the case, there are courts. But unfortunately for airline that story could be presented in a way that make them look bad. At least by most out there. People do not like to think.

Last edited:
Saving money not spent on fuel to pay for an eventual battery replacement is a good way to think about it. But it doesn't seem that I would be saving any money driving an EV over an ICE vehicle. The Model S is just way too expensive. I guess if you compare Model S to a used Bentley or Porche Panamera, etc or other $100k car, then I guess I might come out ahead financially with the Model S (someone please confirm this with actual numbers if possible).

But mostly, I'm getting the Model S b/c 1) I don't like to waste my time having to go to the gas station 2) don't want to pollute environment driving an ICE vehicle and 3) want to be free from the whims of OPEC - not b/c I expect to "save money". If I wanted to save money, I'd buy a cheaper, efficient car such as a Volt.

But after 150k-200k miles you won't have to worry about engine or transmission repair/replacement costs either. I am really stuck on the silent smooth ride.

I think even with heavily degraded batteries (assuming at least 100 miles of range) the Model S will have very high resale value, as mileage really won't be a big concern. And the true health of the car is pretty much on display as battery range.

Guitar neck got broken. Have he used proper guitar case? Apparently not. Have he clearly market his bag as "fragile"? Have he got insurance for it? If he would have done any above mentioned things, there would be no story.

But he got pissed, started demanding money, threaten company that he go social media way... If he actually had the case, there are courts. But unfortunately for airline that story could be presented in a way that make them look bad. At least by most out there. People do not like to think.

According to his side of the story, it was in a guitar case, but baggage handlers were throwing the guitars around. I've never heard United's side of the story. Anyway, so far off topic now...