Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hand Wash is still a thing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being a touch OCD I did my paint correction and ceramic coating as a weekend DIY project on my Model 3 and son's RAV4. After all that work I wanted to find the least destructive car wash around. I have met myself, I know that they joy of washing my car in the driveway will get old when it's 30 degrees outside. Happily with the help of Yelp, I found an "Old School" hand wash and towel dry place and brought both for a test wash.

This would have been called an "exterior detail" at most modern places. They used 2 buckets, lots of towels and opened the trunk doors and frunk to wipe down the jambs. They asked permission before applying any "shiny goop" or air freshener. All for the magnificent sum of $20.00. I was looking around their garage for a nickel Coke machine!

If you are near Holbrook, MA I recommend them. Johnny's Spotless Car Wash.

IMG_0409.jpeg
IMG_0408.jpeg
IMG_0405.jpeg
IMG_0407.jpeg

Man I wish they had one of those around here. I'd pay for that. I've had bad luck with the automatic ones, and even the coin op ones (rocks in the brush causing scratches), so I usually just do it myself in the driveway. Which is why I usually only do it a few times a year.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
Man I wish they had one of those around here. I'd pay for that. I've had bad luck with the automatic ones, and even the coin op ones (rocks in the brush causing scratches), so I usually just do it myself in the driveway. Which is why I usually only do it a few times a year.
Maybe you are in south Nevada? There is a guy up here in Reno that comes to the house and does a fabulous job.

• Informative
Hand wash w/ a carefully cleaned mop, lots of warm water & Meguiar’s Gold wash in a very clean bucket, followed w/ a cool water rinse & dry with a real chamois. In between full washes I use Aero Cosmetics WashWaxAll & buff with a clean MF towel. It’s a lot of work but worth it IMO. I don’t trust any mechanical wash & don’t presently have a hand-wash place I trust, either. BTW my whole front end has PP vinyl.

I'm still on the hunt for a good car wash, but having trouble finding one. There seems to be nothing in between a "super mega generic car wash that will definitely ruin your car" and "bring in your Lamborghini for a perfect $200 car wash where we also tell it bedtime stories and build it's confidence".

I'm probably just going to get a small pressure washer/foam cannon setup and do it myself on the weekends, unfortunately.