Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grrrr...Tesla's temporary license stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed how bad it was going to be when I took mine off as well. The glue residue was extremely sticky.

I waited until after work so the windshield was warm. I got spare microfiber cloth (paper towel won't work), walked a good ways away from the car, sprayed Goo Gone into a corner of the cloth (saturating it), and then rubbed the residue hard in a circular motion. Once it stopped removing the adhesive and started smearing it around, I'd use a dry part of the cloth to clean up the excess adhesive and start the process again. Took maybe 3 iterations and 3-4 minutes. Highly recommended, and no weird cleaning product over spray on your dash or paint.

If it's really bad, just dab the adhesive with the saturated Goo Gone towel to coat it, and wait a few minutes. Then try the above. Sometimes letting the product sink in a bit helps.

I noticed how bad it was going to be when I took mine off as well. The glue residue was extremely sticky.

I waited until after work so the windshield was warm. I got spare microfiber cloth (paper towel won't work), walked a good ways away from the car, sprayed Goo Gone into a corner of the cloth (saturating it), and then rubbed the residue hard in a circular motion. Once it just started smearing, I'd use a dry part of the cloth to clean up the excess adhesive and start the process again. Took maybe 3 iterations and 3-4 minutes. Highly recommended, and no weird cleaning product over spray on your dash or paint.
Yeah, I used the "spray goo gone into the rag" method as well, because I didn't want any overspray on the dash or in the speaker grille. I also got the gross smearing.

What I didn't do was warm it up either via hair dryer or doing it at the end of the day after it was in the sun all day like you did. That probably would have cut a lot of the removal effort as you indicate.

Yeah, I used the "spray goo gone into the rag" method as well, because I didn't want any overspray on the dash or in the speaker grille. I also got the gross smearing.

What I didn't do was warm it up either via hair dryer or doing it at the end of the day after it was in the sun all day like you did. That probably would have cut a lot of the removal effort as you indicate.

Could be. I also forgot that I dabbed it with the Goo Gone rag first and let it sit awhile before I got started, which I added to my description above. The combination of those three things seemed to work well.

Exact same thing happened to me....I even asked the Tesla rep to put the temp down as LOW as possible....practically ducked it under the dash! (my mistake!!)

I actually started with razor blade and a pair of needle nose, then got a windex moistened towel.....and it actually rubbed right out.... I think the glue might be water soluble....

I tried isopropyl alcohol, but it just smeared the glue around. Then I read Mussman1's post and used Windex. It worked like a charm. :biggrin:

I would not use a razor to try and scrape that stuff off. The last thing you want to do is to put a noticeable scratch on the inside of the windshield and make it even more revealing when you put a tint over that scratch. Take the time and head over to Home Depot and buy some Goo Gone. It's a mild oily acid. Dab a little bit on your finger and rub it into stuck glue. It works great at breaking down the sticky stuff.

What was even more difficult for me was removing those mandated, ugly airbag warning stickers glued onto the visors. A true example of a ridiculous nanny law.

I would not use a razor to try and scrape that stuff off. The last thing you want to do is to put a noticeable scratch on the inside of the windshield and make it even more revealing when you put a tint over that scratch. Take the time and head over to Home Depot and buy some Goo Gone. It's a mild oily acid. Dab a little bit on your finger and rub it into stuck glue. It works great at breaking down the sticky stuff.

What was even more difficult for me was removing those mandated, ugly airbag warning stickers glued onto the visors. A true example of a ridiculous nanny law.
Goo Gone worked horribly for me and others in removing this particular sticker gunk, for some reason. People in this thread have apparently had better success with Windex.