Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS (Waze) Issues on iPhones when kept in the phone charging area, anyone have this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use Waze on every trip and was considering placing a dedicated device for Waze in the charging area and have some Siri automation so it turns off/on depends on when I enter/leave.

My problem now is, which probably started early this year or so that when I place the iPhone with Waze map on the charging area, within a min I get "No GPS reception" message on top of the Waze map, I was using iPhone 12 mini, when I take the phone out from charging area and keep it in the cup holder, all is well.

First I thought iPhone 12 mini sucks at GPS, then I switched to another iPhone (which is 11) and the same thing.

Why is that so, any one experienced it?

BTW I use the wireless charging from Nomad and been using them since I got the Model 3, 3 years ago.

Any idea?

I was really looking to buy a iPad mini 4 or 5th gen with cellular, and setup hotspot and use them primarily for Waze (+ bonus of music and other apps), I had seen the setup of iPad mini that can be mounted directly on the charging area cover lid from i1tesla guy.

I get the same issues fairly often. I am lazy to google, but it has something to do with how wireless charging works and phone being below/lower in the car which causes issues. When it happens, i move my phone into cup holder, let it get GPS and put it back, usually works

The location of the wireless charger in our cars is not very gps friendly. Gps works well when the antenna has direct line of sight to multiple satellites. The only sure way to fix this is to mount your phone higher up on the dash, but you will lose wireless charging.

I tried to place right on top the cover of the wireless charging just to see, still no GPS. so far only cup holder see to get reception.
If I try to put above on the dashboard, then it would be complicated to touch and use it. I wish one day Tesla could find a way to have car play so we could use Waze

What I tried this morning is kept the iPhone 11 in landscape way and there seem to be no issue with GPS, it won't charge anyway, but the newer nomad charger allow to keep it this way and also charge.

I remember using something like this browser based, web browser in model 3 is hit or miss for me, never reliably worked for me.
In areas with poor cell coverage, I've had problems with it not updating. But now that you can set your car to accept a WiFi connection while it's moving, you can turn on your phone's hotspot (phones seem to get better cell reception than the car), and connect your car to your phone's hotspot.

Since I've been using it in this manner, I haven't had any problems with the browser based Waze not updating... at least, as long as my phone has decent reception.

For me, it's a lot easier to see the big car screen than it is to see my phone's little screen tucked away down on the charging mat. But then again... I'm old. :)

In areas with poor cell coverage, I've had problems with it not updating. But now that you can set your car to accept a WiFi connection while it's moving, you can turn on your phone's hotspot (phones seem to get better cell reception than the car), and connect your car to your phone's hotspot.

Since I've been using it in this manner, I haven't had any problems with the browser based Waze not updating... at least, as long as my phone has decent reception.

For me, it's a lot easier to see the big car screen than it is to see my phone's little screen tucked away down on the charging mat. But then again... I'm old. :)
I was using this browser based Waze on this mornings commute, its cool how they did the site and great work of the developer. The problem for me is when I navigate out of it (like music and such) the browser gets closed and you have to reopen them and allow access when it prompts again, I can't use it this way, that's me, and more over the primary purpose of Waze for me is the audio alerts which is not present in the browser based. I will setup a dedicated device in the dock that I don't have to touch at all, walk in Waze already loaded, walk out device turns off. I could do all this with iOS shortcuts/automations.