Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Global Warming: Fact or Mass Hysteria?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2 cents:

I don't *believe* in global climate change.
I don't know if climate change due to human activity is happening, we can't know. We might never know.
I think that it makes sense to:
1) calculate cost of potential outcomes ( all the ice melts, sea levels rise, displace billions of people ... )
2) calculate probabilities of those outcomes based on our best theories and evidence

This gives you some rough idea on the resources you should expend to prevent the negative outcomes.

I can't know for sure that if I walk out into traffic that a car will hit and kill me. But it is a highly probable event and the cost to prevent it is small. I'll wait for the light.

But before deciding what and how much to do to prevent global climate change, we need to realize we have an energy problem.
The west uses more than its share of energy.
The current sources are running out.
Buying energy is resulting in a huge wealth transfer that we are on the wrong end of.
Our history of exploiting that energy has resulted in despotic, unstable and unfriendly governments controlling much of it. We are funding them and giving them power.
Burning stuff to make energy produces pollution that has massive negative health implications that have nothing to do with climate change.

We need new energy sources. When we transition to new energy sources, we should try to solve as many of those problems as possible.

Almost all of the green energy technologies solve ALL of the problems.
Security, economy, sustainability, pollution and climate change as a bonus.

e091207_pett.jpg

source: USA Today

I love the smug look on the woman's face in the background. =)
Somehow I doubt most of that audience knows much about the special theory of relativity or quantum mechanics.

As a physics guy, I don't find climate science that well defined; it's closer to economics or psychology. Where as we have extremely strong evidence to feel confident in the validity of the pure physics theories (models) to which the congressman refers, validating the models in climate science is much less cut and dried. However, the evidence is compelling enough that action should be taken. And in most cases those actions are things we should be doing anyway for more immediately tangible reasons.

So while I'll say that I "believe" in anthropogenic climate change, I've never been able to prove it to myself on a lab table like I have with e.g. quantum mechanics.

I agree. I don't "believe" in anthropogenic climate change, but I am researching EVs and renewable energy solutions for the immediate results of energy independence and reduced mercury pollution and whatnot from mining and burning coal. If I'm wrong about global warming, well I am part of the fix anyways, if I'm right about it, it doesn't matter because we still need to power our economy somehow and oil just isn't going to cut it for much longer.

Using tremendous amounts of energy to wreak untold environmental damage and poison the children to extract an un-renewable resource, 'refine' the sludge before then burning the dirty, goopy stuff extracted, sending just about all of the pollutants that further poison our children, and just about all of the heat, just to extract a tiny bit of forward mobility for 750 million oversized, overweight tin cans, all the while paying oppressive dictators for the privilege so that they can afford to abuse their powers, suppress freedom, and foster terrorism?

Climate change, true or not, isn't even a blip in that stupidity level. If aliens landed tomorrow and saw what we were doing, they'd turn around and leave and hang a 'condemned' sign on the moon, laughing their asses of the entire way home. If the phrase 'climate change' can be used to focus some attention of people who can't see the head-up-the-ass level of the big picture, then by all means, let's use it.

Personally, I find articles like this:

RealClimate: The CO2 problem in 6 easy steps

more convincing than the urban heat island calculations and other arguments that "skeptics" come up with. It's not as proven as gravity, but the science-vs-blog-campaign factor is (much) more present on one side than on the other. IMHO.

Good link!

There seem to be a proliferation of global warming threads, many of which could be consolidated into the initial thread on this subject. See:

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion