Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What will you choose solid metal, fixed glass or retractable glass? would love to hear people thoughts.

Retractable panoramic roof without a doubt.

My heart sank when I thought the glass was fixed. But so glad to hear that there is a sunroof.

Just the wind and sun makes driving such a great experience.. and in such a futuristic and refined car will be amazing.

Retractable panoramic roof without a doubt.

My heart sank when I thought the glass was fixed. But so glad to hear confirmation otherwise that there is a sunroof.

Just the wind and sun makes driving such a great experience.. and in such a futuristic and refined car will be amazing.
Ditto though I rarely open my pano. It is nice to have the option.

would be hard to keep an all glass roof clean all the time and i don't look forward to cleaning snow off an all glass roof

I'm definitely buying the car but I'm not 100% sold on the roof idea. I'm interested in seeing the metal version.

That's a relief. I just had to replace the windshield on my MS and it cost me $1600 out the door. In this area it's just part of owning a car. I can't imagine what a full glass roof would cost to replace. Probably north of 5K.

In what situation do you need to replace the whole roof?
The glass is in three sections, so you would likely only need to replace one of the three sections.

I hope there is an option for a solid metal roof. It should save money on the car to not have a glass roof. Having less glass might lower insurance cost, should definitely lower the weight, and I just don't like the sun blasting down on me in the car. My '11 Challenger R/T has a sunroof and it never gets used. The few times I opened it didn't last more than a couple minutes.

Reactions: wilhelmspencer
This is video saying the roof comes in three versions, solid metal, fixed glass or retractable glass

Definitely good news. Retractable pano roof was one of my must haves for this car, living in Florida. Glad they have that as an option, as well as solid metal roofs for people that don't care for the feature. Elon made it seem like the glass roof was going to be a standard feature. If there's a metal roof, then I assume the glass roof is going to be a priced option?

It's interesting that guy said there is a metal roof option. I definitely came away from the reveal thinking glass roof was standard. Did I misinterpret? Seems like a strange move to come back in a year and say, uhm oh yea that's extra. Unless metal would be option, which seems unnatural.

Reactions: navguy12