Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked service to check the new panel first before cutting out the old as the original panel is distortion free and otherwise perfect minus the coating. They just called and said its also missing on the replacement, so they wont be replacing and are tracking down an answer from engineering. At the end of all this we may never know for sure. Mixed about this , on one hand good not to cut out the original glass and avoid any possible damage from the procedure, but still possibly missing the coating.

My theory is the batch of missing coating is stock for the future base version without the exposed roof with a full interior headliner , which would make the coating unnecessary.
That's just not true.

Please post a copy of your service ticket.

You really shouldn't mis-lead people like this.

i've read at least two instances of folks getting their rear glass replaced by tesla for this very issue. i think in both cases the swap did not happen yet. i am very interested to know if after the swap, its the same no orange glow glass lol. i mean one would have to think that the running theory is that this is a permanent change moving forward so i doubt they have the old IR orange glass stocked in a warehouse somewhere. there would be no more of them available.
Please post where you read this.

That's just not true.

Please post a copy of your service ticket.

You really shouldn't mis-lead people like this.
Not every SC is the same. He could’ve gotten a different answer than what your SC told you

Edit: also his theory about the base version stock glass is very unlikely:

1. Production of non premium m3s is too far off for the factory to start stocking base parts right now.

2. A difference in the glass bring uv/it tinted would mean it’s a premium feature. It’s not listed as a premium feature. Only ‘glass roof’ is listed

Not every SC is the same. He could’ve gotten a different answer than what your SC told you
I'm not talking about an answer or opinion. This is about policy....despite what a service center tech says. This would NOT a simple decision by a particular service center deciding on their own to do something.

I'm talking about Tesla actually admitting that the glass is defective through a service ticket. Tesla informed me ( as well as the service center ) that there is nothing missing or defective about the glass. I would like to call his service center. I'll do my homework.

I am a heavy investor in Tesla...and if they have a huge expense such as this ( which is fake to me) ....then shareholders ought to know.

Last edited:
I’m also not arguing whether this drastically changes the vehicle’s appearance. I agree with you it does. I’m stating that because of the listed features and styles of the model 3. And this not being a feature or design choice

Neither are 95% of the aspects of the car's style on some sort of "list" of "style elements".

I'm not talking about legal recourse. I'm talking a major change which is, I quote, "heartbreaking", "one of the coolest aesthetic things about the car", and that it's not "perfectly fine for major style elements to change without warning". Not "this is totally something we can sue Tesla for!".

Reactions: FourOhFour
Neither are 95% of the aspects of the car's style on some sort of "list" of "style elements".

I'm not talking about legal recourse. I'm talking a major change which is, I quote, "heartbreaking", "one of the coolest aesthetic things about the car", and that it's not "perfectly fine for major style elements to change without warning". Not "this is totally something we can sue Tesla for!".

Tesla has changed many many things throughout their history without alerting anyone. Obviously they don't have to.

If ANYONE does not like the current expensive product they are buying..... then......there is a decision to be made.

Were you around when they changed the fabric of the headliner of the Model 3 without notice?
[POLL] Do you care about Telsa's headliner material change?
Referral rewards change
CPO Warranty Change?
Premium seat material change?
Unlimited Free Supercharging for 2016 models changed?

Last edited:
I'm not talking about an answer or opinion. This is about policy....despite what a service center tech says. This would NOT a simple decision by a particular service center deciding on their own to do something.

I'm talking about Tesla actually admitting that the glass is defective through a service ticket. Tesla informed me ( as well as the service center ) that there is nothing missing or defective about the glass. I would like to call his service center. I'll do my homework.

I am a heavy investor in Tesla...and if they have a huge expense such as this ( which is fake to me) ....then shareholders ought to know.
Gotcha. It is still subjective FYI. Not every SC will remember what all the Tesla warranty policy are. Your SC calling corporate is probably the right answer.

There is still a high probability that this guy’s SC wrote the customer concern as

“customer states that UV protection is missing from rear glass”
- tech verified there is no orange glow on customers car
- tech checks a similar vehicle and sees that there is the orange glow. Orange glow ‘should’ be there. Determines the customers glass is defective
- tech replaces rear glass

With the amount of ‘out of the factory’ problems Happening with the m3 I wouldn’t be surprised if his exact situation happens like this.

Also: I have a lot of experience in service management

Just a data point: RWD 3360X, delivered Aug 9, full orange.

I have to say that this would be an issue for me if the two roof pieces were not matching - I really can't fault people for being miffed about this!
My roof panels are different....and if I had a choice....I would have ordered them to be different ( just like they are ). I want to see my white seats from the rear of the car. I don't want a red rear glass panel blocking that view. At the same time...the red glass over the driver is fantastic from the front.

Sorry but majority of styling aspects on the car are intended design choices. And while this is a big appearance change when the car is wet, it most likely wasn’t a ‘major style element’ when they designed this car. But to each, their own.

I remember one member had a glass roof defect where the orange coating was not fully applied.

Could Tesla made a bad batch of glass where they missed applying the orange coating? Or could Tesla decided to discontinue (or half glass) the orange coating to save time and cost?

See post #7 on this thread
Heat from Tesla Model 3 sunroof

mvimg_20180616_115413-jpg.313450

I just think its a little odd and annoying when something like this changes and it is crickets from the manufacturer on why the change...

My service center has ordered new back glass because mine doesn't turn orange and the others on the lot do...

Do I prefer the glass panes to match? Uhm, yes.

Do I still prefer that as strongly if the glass with the orange effect is inferior? No.

I just need legit info so I can make an educated decision on how to move forward.

I just need legit info so I can make an educated decision on how to move forward.
Well, considering that it was only just confirmed today that track mode is exclusive to the performance upgrades package (a very significant piece of information that can strongly influence a purchasing decision), don't expect to hear much about glass coatings... Tesla isn't great about giving you the details of what you're buying and never really has been.